Chapala.com Webboard

Are medications for dogs available?

A friend's dog has some heart problems etc. and meds are pretty expensive here. I make a run to the border every few months to get inhalers for myself and he asked if these meds are available in MX at a more reasonable price, any input appreciated.
1.Vetmedin, chewable tabs
2.Optimmune  0.2% Opthalmic Ointment #108824
3.Trifexis for dogs 20.1 to 40 lbs, chewable tablets for heartworms, fleas and intestinal worms

I  asked my friend about this who was a product manager for an Ophthalmic Pharmaceutical House. His recommendation even for humans, is drops and not ointments for easier avoidance of contamination of the applicator by touching and they are much easier to use on pets. most vets started using drops in the late 60's because of this. The generic is Cyclosporine and the OP's product is Merck who makes both ointment and drops.  Merck is not a specialty pharma house but Allergan is and their product name is Restasis 0.05 and 0.1%. He doesn't want to be a homer so has not mentioned his former company which is in the forefront of  ophthalmic research and manufacture in the USA along with Allergan, so his recommendation is Allergan drops for pets with DED. The Merck ointment dosage seems rather high.

Archived