Chapala.com Webboard

Purchase of new car question

shirlppt

We are both finishing up the first year as temporal residents.  We just sold our car and did the paperwork for the TIP on the old car at the border, we live in south Texas.  The new car we bought is financed.  It never occurred to me to check this out before we bought the car, but are we going to have trouble bringing it into Mexico without a clear title?  In Texas I believe we only get a registration and the bank gets the title.  

43 minutes ago, shirlppt said:

I believe we only get a registration and the bank gets the title. 

Bingo! They won't know, but with proper insurance, the title holder most likely wouldn't care.

10 hours ago, shirlppt said:

We are both finishing up the first year as temporal residents.  We just sold our car and did the paperwork for the TIP on the old car at the border, we live in south Texas.  The new car we bought is financed.  It never occurred to me to check this out before we bought the car, but are we going to have trouble bringing it into Mexico without a clear title?  In Texas I believe we only get a registration and the bank gets the title.  

When we did this, the lienholder refused to allow the vehicle (legally, their vehicle) into Mexico since they could not recoup their property if we didn't continue to pay or if there were an assue. We bought the car and had the title in-hand before crossing. Ask and get an answer in writing.

I know that a Texas registration alone will gain you a TIP regardless of the lienholder's permission. Get permission if you care, but it would not be a problem at the border. Before I immigrated, I lived in the RGV and always had a current TIP for my constant visits with no finance company involvement. 

One could check this option out by obtaining the TIP online using a Texas Registration only. 

Using this option ‘skirts’ the Bank’s probable right to have a say-so in taking the vehicle into Mexico, but if your value system allows, go for it.

Thanks August, that’s exactly what I wanted to know.  We live in the RGV, in Donna, and cross at Anzalduas in Mission.

Archived