Chapala.com Webboard

safest driving route from Albuquerque to Lakeside

Cross at Santa Teresita on the west side of Juarez.   Continue south on toll roads around east side of Chihuahua and past Torreon.  Follow on to 45D past Fresnillo, Zacatecas and through Aquascaliente.  Take 80D toward Guadalajara and stay on Macrolibramiento and take Chapala Highway exit.  That route is about as good as you can get.  Heavily travelled but a bit expensive with total tolls.  I just went up that route a couple of weeks ago and the roads are in fairly good shape.

11 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

From Albuquerque, leaving around 7 AM you can make Torreon in one day on this route and be here on the second day.

Lots of tolls and toll booths but fast.

Ezzie described the route perfectly.  Did it last year.

Is Torreon where you recommend spending the night? If so, any hotel/motel recommendations?

Just to be clear..... this motel is in Gomez Palacio not Torreon but that is better as it is just a bit off  the intersection of cuota 49D and 40D on the north side of GP. Also used as a ‘no-tell-motel’ but that is probably a plus. 

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Or just north of there, no recommendations as we did this northbound and stayed in Carmargo.  Here is a notel on the north side of town.

https://www.goldensuitesmotel.com/

That a "no tell" place.

28 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

"Motel" usually denotes a no-tell place--my favorite kind of place when I'm traveling with lots of stuff in the car.

Mine too, but the OP might have an understanding wife or maybe a youngster. Other than the setting, only ever having a single bed could also be a problem.

1 hour ago, iluikatl said:

Almost completely off-topic, but as someone who was raised there, I can't just let this fly. It's Aguascalientes, not Aguascaliente.

OK... I'll watch my spelling of that city in the future.

I did this a few years ago. I stopped at Ciudad Camargo, Hotel Santa Fe. I liked it because they have a parking lot with security and cameras, especially useful if you have a loaded car and dont want to waste time unloading and loading again in the morning. 

We stayed there also on our trip north.  Nothing fancy but clean, well kept and secure.  However if one is headed south, stopping in Carmargo makes for quite a long day between Carmargo and here, hence I suggested they try and go further on the first day to at least the outskirts of Torreon.

Archived