Chapala.com Webboard

Seeking SEO help (search engine optimization)

I have a web based business and looking for someone with experience in SEO. This will be a one time project (maybe to include regular updates). Prefer young bilingual Mexican with the  latest training and techniques in this technology. Please email me at eldoradoimports@gmail.com. Gracias 

The first thing you should do is redesign your website from scratch. I googled your email address and found your site. Your site is a table-based layout, so it doesn't look good on mobile. Sites need to be mobile friendly today to rank well  -- Google just switched the way it indexes sites. It's now a mobile-first instead of desktop -first index. So if your site doesn't work on mobile, you'll see your rankings drop for search queries from people using desktops now. (Add your site to Google Search Console and you'll see a message about how your pages are not mobile friendly. This error is what you need to work on first.)

Doing anything else to your site SEO-wise before redesigning it to be mobile friendly will do you very, very little.

7 hours ago, ficklepie said:

The first thing you should do is redesign your website from scratch. I googled your email address and found your site. Your site is a table-based layout, so it doesn't look good on mobile. Sites need to be mobile friendly today to rank well  -- Google just switched the way it indexes sites. It's now a mobile-first instead of desktop -first index. So if your site doesn't work on mobile, you'll see your rankings drop for search queries from people using desktops now. (Add your site to Google Search Console and you'll see a message about how your pages are not mobile friendly. This error is what you need to work on first.)

Doing anything else to your site SEO-wise before redesigning it to be mobile friendly will do you very, very little.

Thank you so much for that advise. I do have a computer guy that does all the work on my site using HTML but he admits that he is not into SEO. He did spend a couple of weeks recently using a program to create 3 versions of all the photos on the site (and there are many hundreds) into 3 versions: desktop, tablet and cell phone. He did not mention that there needed to be other changes such as you suggest and I would like to learn more. If you could please email me so maybe we can start a conversation on this since it seems that you are very knowledgeable in this area. Not looking for a freebie, maybe just some friendly general direction possibly leading to a gig for you (if you do that) or a referral to someone that has this expertise. By the way for those that might be curious, my website is www.mexarte.com. We are long time wholesalers of traditional Mexican arts and crafts, home decor, pre-Columbian art replicas and much more. 

8 hours ago, ficklepie said:

To add to this comment, I looked at web site on my cell phone. I was not sure if you were trying to sell the company or sell merchandise. In my experience, when I am browsing I want to see merchandise. Not company info, ordering info, etc on each page where I have to scroll down to get to the merchandise. Just my opinion as a user and former designer.

25 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Tiny, I too looked at the site and if it was for consumers, you would be right. Look at it as if you were a retailer.

Isn't a retailer just a consumer on a bigger scale when it comes to buying for stock? They want to save time not having to scroll pass wording over and over.

I take all this advice and comments very seriously and want to thank all that contribute. I started this web page at the dawn of the internet and through all these years continue to expand it. As ficklepie rightly points out this was designed for desktop use long before smart phones and tablets. The homepage does contain a lot of info and text but viewed on a desktop there is a huge button the top to link to  the wholesale catalog that has 50 categories of products each with a banner to enter to see the photos, info and wholesale prices of these products. I was late to enter the smart phone age myself but cannot let time stand still. The trick as I see it is to redesign the site to still connect to the Neanderthals (such as myself) and those that carry those tiny gadgets that I am still trying to get a handle on. This is the reason for my OP seeking help in this area. Anyone viewing this site on a desktop I am sure, and have had very positive feedback on, are able to navigate and get to what they want quickly. The huge problem is the small screen on a tablet and the tiny one on a smart phone. HEEELP!!!

• 9 months later...

Archived