Chapala.com Webboard

Possible Terror Attack in Toronto

Guiness

I've been glued to the screen watching the news on Global Toronto TV. It is so sad. I know it is not the right place to post this, but it was so shocking I just had to add my two cents worth. I am so sorry and sad.

A rather alarmist title for this topic. It's shocking and sad, my husband use to work at the intersection and walk along there to go for lunch, so this hits close to home. But as the Chief of Police said, "while it's early days, they don't believe that it was an act that would be of a national security concern (I,e, a not a foreign influenced or religious fanatic attack). Here's a good column from the Toronto Star by Rosie DiManno. It does sum up how I think a lot of Torontonians feel, and maybe we are nieve. Their first assumption when hearing about it was that it wasn't intentional, maybe someone having a heart attack???, that we're relieved that the attacker was arrested, and not shot (even though it may have been a suicide by cop situation), that terrorism isn't just carried out by religious fanatics. Toronto will rally around, we'll wait to see what the motive was. This morning they said on the CBC that he was an awkward young man, he was a student in Computer Science at a local College (and it's exam time).  

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/04/23/toronto-van-tragedy-bonds-city-in-blood-but-no-one-will-say-the-word-terrorism.html

I may get thumped for this but when something like this happens I'm glad that people's first thought were that it wasn't intentional, do you remember your first reaction on 911 to the first plane going into the tower? That it must have been an accident???, mine was  " wonder if it was a traffic reporting plane", and now when we hear of something like this happening in Britain, France, or the USA, our first thoughts are "I hope it's not a terrorist or religious fanatic". Toronto is a little nieve, but I hope we can stay that way.

More information is being gathered.  It was 'terrorism' in the sense that he inflicted terror on many, many people, but there appears to be no political or religious motivation to the attack.  Pleased to see that 'most' people kept their heads and opinions open until they learned important details.   Also, thanks to the training and professionalism of the police, the suspect was taken into custody and can answer some of the many questions a whole country has this morning.   He is due in court later today.

I wish that governments everywhere would stop the focus on the method people are using to kill people and instead try to understand what is making people kill strangers.  People have always killed people they know for various reasons which haven't changed much, if at all, throughout human history. Why this sudden upsurge in killing complete strangers? If they could answer that question we might be able to at least slow it down. Not holding my breath.

Archived