Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Subscription Update

3 hours ago, gringal said:

Just one more try:  Intelligent people do research before moving to an area or a specific neighborhood. They prioritize their needs. If having high speed internet is very high on their list, they don't move to a neighborhood where it's low.  If they do it anyway and then complain about it.......it doesn't make much sense.

When some entity, be it Telmex or a newcomer on the scene can provide me with better internet speed, I'll be prompt to sign up.  I'll expect to pay by the month.  I don't have to pay any other utility a year in advance, so why should this be different?  (The  "skin in the game" cliche doesn't work for me since the deal doesn't include shares in the company.)

The claim about "hostility" doesn't fly, either, since some of the enthusiasts in favor of having Ilox have stooped to ridiculing others who aren't coming on board with insults such as having a horse and buggy mind set.  That's a poor method of persuasion.  Could we stick to logic and civilized discussion instead?

Wow! I agree on everything that you have said and to my knowledge the first time.  Bang on !!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Ferret said:

When we moved into La Huerta, the telmex speed was 5 mps down. Enough for our needs. Then it started to get slower with lots of "no service" moments and we also took on cable so we could switch back and forth. Cable was fine and then it started to get slower too. When I left there, my speed was about 2.5 mps down on either service.

I also pay my water bill, my car tags and my house taxes one year in advance.

"I also pay my water bill, my car tags and my house taxes one year in advance. "

You are not paying for a monthly service like Telmex or CFE a year in advance.  Oranges/apples.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

We didn't get internet lakeside until Lagunanet went active in May 1997.  I had already chosen my house by then and had made an offer. It closed later in 1997.  And gee we were excited when we got 28.8 bits per second download speed. Now I would complain if I were only getting 3megbit/sec down.  I got lucky I have been getting 10 down by 0.45 Mb/sec up for a couple of years. Sure I want faster internet. 30 down by 2 up would be great. But I will take what I get with a smile.

My primary reason for living here is not the internet. But I sure hope ILox comes lakeside. I might even start streaming instead of getting great TV via satellite.

Those were the good old days Pete :-)

11 minutes ago, gringal said:

"I also pay my water bill, my car tags and my house taxes one year in advance. "

You are not paying for a monthly service like Telmex or CFE a year in advance.  Oranges/apples.

Considering that you CAN pay a year in advance for Telmex or CFE. The fact that you pay monthly is your choice.

I pay my CFE bill in advance for my own convenience.   I have also paid IIlox in hopes of helping to fund better infrastructure for the area.   Since the costs are relatively small for me, the risk is also small with the potential of great reward ( fast internet ).   It is a simple equation of low risk, high reward for me.   Your mileage may vary, and that’s ok.

3 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Considering that you CAN pay a year in advance for Telmex or CFE. The fact that you pay monthly is your choice.

How would you know what to pay CFE in advance since usage fluctuates? And paying Carlos Slime in advance should be rewarded with a dunce cap.

16 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I still think the comparison is invalid, because there is no choice in the proposed Ilox plan.

I know people really want this to happen,  especially in currently poorly served areas such as you described, but IMO, there's no way of presenting the Ilox proposal as a "normal" business practice.

Everybody's situation is different. It is counterproductive to even be having this conversation. You're either comfortable with the iLox proposal or you're not.

I certainly do know what my electrical bill will be. I have solar but also tracked my usage for a year before installation. Signing CFE's new contract was also a leap of faith... but I did it. Everything is not a scam although I think our thinking is geared toward suspicion as we get older.

There are people who have had the contract and the letter on file with Profeco perused by Lawyers and it's passed muster. I wish those people would post their experiences. I doubt, however, that it will change anyone's opinion.

I don't need it... yet. But I sincerely hope that it happens for those who believe.

19 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Everybody's situation is different. It is counterproductive to even be having this conversation. You're either comfortable with the iLox proposal or you're not.

I certainly do know what my electrical bill will be. I have solar but also tracked my usage for a year before installation. Signing CFE's new contract was also a leap of faith... but I did it. Everything is not a scam although I think our thinking is geared toward suspicion as we get older.

There are people who have had the contract and the letter on file with Profeco perused by Lawyers and it's passed muster. I wish those people would post their experiences. I doubt, however, that it will change anyone's opinion.

I don't need it... yet. But I sincerely hope that it happens for those who believe.

I agree completely with your last sentence.:)

Well, I have done my own DD and, while it remains a risk, the risk is normal consumer risk, so I have decided to take the plunge and sign up for ILOX.

It does seem that  all this ruckus started with a misunderstanding, namely that ILOX was initiating this movement. They did not. This is a consumer demand movement. A  local resident saw a need for better internet, had the expertise to understand how to fix the problem then did the research and heavy lifting necessary to convince a qualified service provider to look outside their normal business model and offer service to our area.  This volunteer may have bungled the marketing aspect, but hell, that is not his area of expertise so let's not shoot the messenger. Right about now TK must be feeling a little like the former head of NASA trying to convince Trump that investing in science is important.

The underlying intent is solid. Getting better internet to Lakeside. Can a lot still go wrong?  Sure, things are never as rosy as the sales pitch, but in my view any chance for better internet is worth the investment risk.

Besides, I am sure many of us have invested more money in worse risks over the years with far less due diligence. I can think of a few examples, start by looking at your kitchen gadgets, cd and VCR players, an AMC Gremlin,  plastic surgery, ...lol, anyone else remember buying one of those ridiculously expensive and very stinky Afghan coats? Putting it in perspective, the investment risk is small, the rewards could be large so I am willing to risk it. If I get burned, so be it. I will put it on the wall next to all those stock certificates.....

vintage-fashion.jpg

gremlin.jpg

8 hours ago, gringal said:

Just one more try:  Intelligent people do research before moving to an area or a specific neighborhood. They prioritize their needs. If having high speed internet is very high on their list, they don't move to a neighborhood where it's low.  If they do it anyway and then complain about it.......it doesn't make much sense.

When some entity, be it Telmex or a newcomer on the scene can provide me with better internet speed, I'll be prompt to sign up.  I'll expect to pay by the month.  I don't have to pay any other utility a year in advance, so why should this be different?  (The  "skin in the game" cliche doesn't work for me since the deal doesn't include shares in the company.)

The claim about "hostility" doesn't fly, either, since some of the enthusiasts in favor of having Ilox have stooped to ridiculing others who aren't coming on board with insults such as having a horse and buggy mind set.  That's a poor method of persuasion.  Could we stick to logic and civilized discussion instead?

I bought my house when Telmex was dial-up, so missed the memo on how intelligent people do their research for moving into an area with high speed internet service. Thanks for the instruction on how to spot hostility though. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

• 2 weeks later...

ILOX UPDATE:   We are now at 70% subscribers paid in (140 /200).   About 180 have been issued contracts and working their way to the bank.  Several hundred more than that have pledged and will start receiving follow up calls.   Sixteen gated communities have requested quotes.    One with 12 homes has started the infrastructure work.  One with 60 homes has their quote and has scheduled a vote. 

If you have not signed up, please be aware we expect to reach the goal and declare cutoff around the end of May.    This project is becoming a reality.  

On 4/23/2018 at 3:14 PM, ComputerGuy said:

First, REC, I don't know why you are the only one who seems to know that the Ilox project will not go through. Where did you get your information?

Second, dave0415, same question: where did you get that information? I can find no evidence or proof of such a thing; just years of speculation.

By the way, those were not tongue in cheek discussions: there was a post by someone who had no idea what they were talking about as it relates to lakeside.

Third, I'm with you, Gringal. And I should add that in the time I've been here, my TelMex Internet has gone from 512 kpbs on a dialup modem, to 40 Mbps, with included WiFi. Yes, TelMex is slothlike here at lakeside, and so different areas are still suffering from slow speeds. But most of Chapala gets 20 Mbps, and even Ch. Haciendas and Brisas are getting 10, so... where's the beef, REC?

Most of Chapala gets 20mbps?  I`ve never received above 11mbps 6 blocks north of the plaza.  Do I have to get 2nd tier Telmex to get the 20mbps?

15 hours ago, tkessler said:

ILOX UPDATE:   We are now at 70% subscribers paid in (140 /200).   About 180 have been issued contracts and working their way to the bank.  Several hundred more than that have pledged and will start receiving follow up calls.   Sixteen gated communities have requested quotes.    One with 12 homes has started the infrastructure work.  One with 60 homes has their quote and has scheduled a vote. 

If you have not signed up, please be aware we expect to reach the goal and declare cutoff around the end of May.    This project is becoming a reality.  

Does this last line mean that only people who sign up and pay now will get service?  That others will not be able to join the system later??  I certainly understand that the first people served will be those who committed in advance but it seems to me that there is an implication that no others will ever be able to join.

46 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

Does this last line mean that only people who sign up and pay now will get service?  That others will not be able to join the system later??  I certainly understand that the first people served will be those who committed in advance but it seems to me that there is an implication that no others will ever be able to join.

I don't read that implication.  I would be good if tkessler would clarify it, however.

1 minute ago, catbird said:

What is the minimum investment to secure a spot? The way I read it, it's about $800 dollars US. Is that correct or can you get in at a lower price?

The minimum is nowhere near $800 US. 
These are available:
❏ Ilox Triple Plan 50 (75 Mbps first year) total $9708 MXN
❏ Ilox Triple Plan 250 (300 Mbps first year) total $14748 MXN
❏ Ilox Doble Full VOZ y DATOS 50 (75 Mbps first year) total $ 7188 MXN

First two include internet, telephone and tv. The last one only telephone and internet.

Archived