Chapala.com Webboard

First rainbirds

dixonge

I heard one, lone call yesterday afternoon. Skies were overcast. However, it really only means a few of them have struggled out of the earth earlier than the majority. They say the season will start 45 days after the first one, but whichever way you look at it, June 15 is about average... no matter when they begin buzzing.

That being said, I fully expect this thread to come alive with observations and predictions, and I'm just glad I got my licks in first... it will change nothing. ^_^

Heard my first rain bird, just above, Las Salvias last night. They say it will start raining 6 weeks after the rain-birds start singing. I rather doubt that this will be the case, as that would be June 5.  I always used to hear that the rainy season would start sometime around mid June or a week later, not earlier.

Having grown up in the greater Seattle, and Vancouver area, I always thought the rainy season would be terrible. How wrong I was. Down here, at least, the summer rainy season is one of the best weather periods of the year.

History of Chapala.com and rainy season:  Rainy season always starts middle of June.  Someone reports rainbirds around Christmas. We ALWAYS get a couple very strong storms the end of May which ALWAYS prompts a declaration of an "early rainy season".  Then there are 2 weeks of little or no rain, after which rainy season starts.

6 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I'm with computer guy on this - the rainbird topic is right up there with "well the rain is good for the Lake" and "Welcome to another day in paradise! "

And 'I hope they get the work done on our house before it starts'.

51 minutes ago, suegarn said:

No, it's the same thing, year after year.  Gets tedious after a while.......

Jajaja, yeah it was definitely "tongue in cheek".

On 4/18/2018 at 1:13 PM, johanson said:

Heard my first rain bird, just above, Las Salvias last night. They say it will start raining 6 weeks after the rain-birds start singing. I rather doubt that this will be the case, as that would be June 5.  I always used to hear that the rainy season would start sometime around mid June or a week later, not earlier.

Last year June 7th was declared the start. 

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/66981-time-for-the-annual-guess-the-start-of-the-rainy-season/&

Archived