Chapala.com Webboard

Crocodiles spotted in lake

Taaffe

I remember the 2003 adventure of the crocodiles from Jamay.  Stories abounded of people claiming to see them or their animals disappearing and who claimed they knew the crocodiles had eaten them.

As fast as they had appeared in stories told around the lake of sightings that was how fast the excitement of the possible  new residents of the lake disappeared and was never to be seen again.

None were ever caught and shortly thereafter new topics of interest took their place.

2 hours ago, Metuchenmama said:

I remember the 2003 adventure of the crocodiles from Jamay.  Stories abounded of people claiming to see them or their animals disappearing and who claimed they knew the crocodiles had eaten them.

As fast as they had appeared in stories told around the lake of sightings that was how fast the excitement of the possible  new residents of the lake disappeared and was never to be seen again.

None were ever caught and shortly thereafter new topics of interest took their place.

According to this news article, 5 were found in 2014. Photos included in article. http://verdebandera.com.mx/encuentran-cocodrilos-en-presa-de-tlajomulco-cerca-de-guadalajara/

I did, quickly; I confirmed the port master's name, checked the original source and went to "la Página que sí se lee" and the writer; googled that there's been two croc confirmations over the years in the dams/rivers that feed into Lake Chapala and skimmed those entries. This latest article says one croc was about a meter in length, so likely it grew up in the lake. Years back we had one in Lake Carolyn, near DFW airport. It swam alongside boaters, loved potatoes. Was a local celebrity for a while... 

On 4/16/2018 at 9:26 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Actually, Russian subs...

This is nothing to joke about, the Chapala Port Authority released the information as a warning to all users of our lake, they have contacted the necessary authorities to catch the crocs, one might have been a female who has laid her eggs in the lake, there could appear lots of babies in the near future.

1 hour ago, Beebee said:

Can Mexican crocodiles live in fresh water?

Morelet's crocodile (Crocodylus moreletii), also known as the Mexican crocodile, is a modest sized crocodilian found only in fresh waters of the Atlantic regions of Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. It usually grows to about 3 metres (9.8 ft) in length.

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Ready for a swim, Ned?  :D

Several years ago Fred Reed  wrote one of his satirical pieces on just such an issue. My friend took this photo of him  on the airboat  and Fred still owes him royalties of a 6 pack for using it. Do you think Fred photo shopped it?

AirBoatBeer-copy.jpg

airboat1.jpg

I remember that boat well. I also remember that it was very very loud and that the folks on shore whom I waved to rather than waving back would give us a thumbs down because of the loud noise.

I bet if that were a real crocodile, that the noise of the boat would have scared it off. That airplane engine was very loud and when we went out we all had earplugs

14 minutes ago, johanson said:

I remember that boat well. I also remember that it was very very loud and that the folks on shore whom I waved to rather than waving back would give us a thumbs down because of the loud noise.

I bet if that were a real crocodile, that the noise of the boat would have scared it off. That airplane engine was very loud and when we went out we all had earplugs

The Mexicans and all their ninos always waved approvingly especially when it was cranked up to full volume close to the Ajijic pier. It was a Corvette engine.

I thought it was an aircraft engine because it powered an airplane propeller. I guess I did not look closely at the engine. I just knew it was great fun to ride on, especially if you had sound cancelling headphones or earplugs. And yes, as I remember that those who gave us the thumbs down signals as we passed by seemed to all look as if they came from up north

Archived