Chapala.com Webboard

Ricki's Japanese and Thai

desafinada

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Anyway, this is all moot. My point was a GOOD deep fryer... as long as the items are well-covered in oil and properly hot, it doesn't matter how deep it is. Tempura really depends on flash-frying for the best quality with the least amount of grease. Masayumo's, for example, is lovingly cut and cooked, and tasty but if you let it sit for two minutes, it congeals into a mess of coating and oil. Even Suehiro doesn't do it right. But I come from a town where there are several choices for superior, expertly-cooked tempura.

I agree, and am surprised that you know the tips.

I seldom eat tempura because even in Tokyo there are not many restaurants where I get crispy and delicious ones.

Here are some tips which you might know already in preparation, 

1. put a little bit vinegar into tempura mixuture

2. do not stir tempura mixture much

3. add a little bit sesame oil into cooking oil

4. take off excessive water from the ingredients before putting into tempura mixture

maybe there are many more

Enjoy cooking!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Ukiyo said:

I agree, and am surprised that you know the tips.

I seldom eat tempura because even in Tokyo there are not many restaurants where I get crispy and delicious ones.

Here are some tips which you might know already in preparation, 

1. put a little bit vinegar into tempura mixuture

2. do not stir tempura mixture much

3. add a little bit sesame oil into cooking oil

4. take off excessive water from the ingredients before putting into tempura mixture

maybe there are many more

Enjoy cooking!

Excellent tips, although I hadn't heard the vinegar one before. Keeping the batter a little lumpy really helps create those larger crunchy bits; much like a fried-chicken recipe. And yes, most definitely drying off the ingredients helps keep the batter on... and keeps the oil from spitting. Thanks.

Even in Tokyo? Wow, what a shame.

20 hours ago, Tiny said:

Here is an interesting version. The tempura batter is made with egg yolks, flour, and water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV05HvZJHlc&feature=youtu.be

I put yolks, too. 

Overall, the youtuber demonstrate OK. But one thing that I would not like to see in his video is;

his cutting methods just like handling handsaw back and forward which smashes and destroys cell of materials and leads the cuisine less taste.  Here is a video which shows how to cut;

https://park.ajinomoto.co.jp/recipe/basic/vege_cutting/hangetugiri/

48 minutes ago, Ukiyo said:

I put yolks, too. 

Overall, the youtuber demonstrate OK. But one thing that I would not like to see in his video is;

his cutting methods just like handling handsaw back and forward which smashes and destroys cell of materials and leads the cuisine less taste.  Here is a video which shows how to cut;

https://park.ajinomoto.co.jp/recipe/basic/vege_cutting/hangetugiri/

Here is Party Kitchen.

35 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Here is Party Kitchen.

ja ja ja ja, Tiny, I am beaten!

If you have a free moment and a cooking knife, will you pls cut some vegetables, say cabbage in different directions like shown in the picture attached. If you find no difference, then you got me beaten again!

buena noche!

mouthfeel.png

15 minutes ago, Ukiyo said:

ja ja ja ja, Tiny, I am beaten!

If you have a free moment and a cooking knife, will you pls cut some vegetables, say cabbage in different directions like shown in the picture attached. If you find no difference, then you got me beaten again!

buena noche!

mouthfeel.png

Are you talking about cutting with the veins vs cutting the across the veins?

Yes, cut along the blue and the red lines and make two portions, and taste.

BTW it's been a long time I did not hear of "Vein", I had been in medical business (cardiac field), I guess there must be artery as well somewhere.

sample.png

What Is a Plant Vein?

By Carolyn Robbins
A  close-up of the veins of a green leaf.

Just as animals have vessels that carry materials throughout their bodies, plants have veins for the transportation of nutrients, including water. Plant veins are also sturdy enough to act as a support system and keep leaves open for photosynthesis -- the process through which plants make food. Plants have a vascular system throughout their roots and stems, but the system's veins are most visible in leaves.

Presentation is everything in proper Asian cooking, and this certainly applies to veg. But I have only heard of cutting against the grain for certain cuts of beef, like flank steak (best ever type for stir-fry dishes, and cutting across the fibres —grain— makes it easier to chew), never for vegetables.

3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Presentation is everything in proper Asian cooking, and this certainly applies to veg. But I have only heard of cutting against the grain for certain cuts of beef, like flank steak (best ever type for stir-fry dishes, and cutting across the fibres —grain— makes it easier to chew), never for vegetables.

There are certain plant leaves that you suppose to cut the vein out. 

To all...

This is Mexico.  Eat Mexican Food.  Not Modern  as stated by Bobby's or the excellent article in the Reporter

this week about Mexico City's  Quintonil Restaurant.  

Life is too short to bitch about woks.  Try tempura yourself and if  it's not the same...at least since you made it,

it's not too bad.

Learn Mexican cooking .

All this reminds me how so many people come here and live in gated communities with the same people you left

and want food  you left.

Enjoy Mexico.......I  Do.......Aloha Don

Wow, Don. We are having a decent discussion about cooking. If you want to restrict your diet to Mexican food, go right ahead.

Just try to keep in mind that most of us enjoy Mexican food, as well as other types, regardless of your sermonizing. If someone had said to me in Canada "stick to Canadian food and don't live in gated communities" I woulda clocked him.

37 minutes ago, Aloha Don said:

To all...

This is Mexico.  Eat Mexican Food.  Not Modern  as stated by Bobby's or the excellent article in the Reporter

Life is too short to bitch about woks.  Try tempura yourself and if  it's not the same...at least since you made it,

it's not too bad.

Learn Mexican cooking .

All this reminds me how so many people come here and live in gated communities with the same people you left

and want food  you left.o

Why would you care enough about what other people eat to write a lecture about it?  I love Mexican food and eat it often but I do not want to eat it all the time. So, I am happy there are other kinds of food available here. Oh, and eating non-Mexican food does not mean I enjoy Mexico any less than if I ate it every single day of my life. 

3 hours ago, Aloha Don said:

To all...

it's not too bad.

Learn Mexican cooking .

and want food  you left.

Gee, Don, in my gated community one-third of the residents are upper middle-class Mexicans.

I wonder if they would share your views?

The last time I spoke with a few of them at a party, they seemed very pleased with the food at many of the upscale "non-Mexican" restaurants in Guadalajara and in the USA.

Maybe they don't know how to "enjoy Mexico" like you.

1 hour ago, Aloha Don said:

To all...

it's not too bad.

Learn Mexican cooking .

and want food  you left.

Well all I can say is thank God we have newbies to steer us back on the right path when we stray.  Aloha.......Don.

Now, I wonder who this really is, eh?

Oh, for heaven's sake - please relax. Who cares who someone really  is? Also, just to be  total pain in the ---- I loathed Ricki's, thought the atmosphere sucked and the food, apart from the tempura,  was pretty darn awful. But, then , who am I really?

1 hour ago, kam said:

Oh, for heaven's sake - please relax. Who cares who someone really  is? Also, just to be  total pain in the ---- I loathed Ricki's, thought the atmosphere sucked and the food, apart from the tempura,  was pretty darn awful. But, then , who am I really?

You seem nice. Bet you are a lot of fun at parties. 

1 hour ago, kam said:

Who cares who someone really  is?

12 minutes ago, Xena said:

You seem nice. Bet you are a lot of fun at parties. 

Especially at masquerade balls.

I found the lecture on EAT MEXICAN to be funnier 'n hell, especially coming from a newbie.  I see quite a few newbies coming on board, some of whom are clueless but righteous.  Those who decide to settle here need to have a well developed sense of humor and appreciation of the absurd or they'll never last in Mexico.

But seriously, every kind of ethnic food is being served in the very Mexican big city of Guadalajara, and furthermore, they're enjoying it! Me, I'm loving the variety of the world's foods coming to town lately. "Spice of life", etc.

"Eat Mexican. Not modern". "And try tempura". So which is it? I am not sure what Mexican food is now. Could be the thousands of Burger Kings, McDonalds, Hooters and Cheesecake Factorys opening up all over the country...

It's myopic to stay within a confined vision of anything, let alone food. Imagine where this world would be. One thing for sure: we wouldn't be here.

Archived