Chapala.com Webboard

Ricki's Japanese and Thai

desafinada

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

We've had dinner at Masayume in Ajijic a few times, and enjoyed the Tempura!

(Located between the Donut place and bank mountainside)

image.thumb.png.14b280110a4a9a041224703b8430c18d.png

The shrimp tempura at Ricki's was beyond the beyond good. Heaven. I like the restaurant Masayume a lot. But their shrimp tempura is only just fine compared to Ricki's. On the other hand, the vegetable tempura at Masayume is miraculous!

Food is so personal...

Why don’t you to try to prepare Tempura for yourself.  Dining out is a fun but cooking is also great experience.

Tempura is one of three traditional cuisines from Edo (old Tokyo) era besides Sushi and Soba (buckwheat noodles) and is not very difficult to prepare comparing to Sushi. 

Buena suerte!

https://www.alc.co.jp/speaking/article/kihon/19.html

I've tried making tempura many times; you need icy cold (and I mean Fortress of Solitude cold) for the batter and quite a good deep fryer to come anywhere close to restaurant-quality. Just not worth it for the occasional user.

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I've tried making tempura many times; you need icy cold (and I mean Fortress of Solitude cold) for the batter and quite a good deep fryer to come anywhere close to restaurant-quality. Just not worth it for the occasional user.

But it impresses the hell out of your quests if you can pull it off. 😀

49 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

This is a good deep fryer, the Japanese swear by them.

What the Japanese swear by is the burner under the wok.  Much hotter than the burners that are installed in the home. In the home, you would do better with a frying pan for stir fry and a pot for deep frying because of the greater surface area.

8 minutes ago, Tiny said:

What the Japanese swear by is the burner under the wok.  Much hotter than the burners that are installed in the home. In the home, you would do better with a frying pan for stir fry and a pot for deep frying because of the greater surface area.

A wok will keep, even on a crappy Mabe range, the oil at 180 C without a problem. High heat, like a 150,000 BTU wok burner, is for stir-fry.

Oh, a wok is a frying pan and quite common in the state Veracruz.

59 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

This is a good deep fryer, the Japanese swear by them.

Yes, and I even have a double-sized gas jet on my stove, installed specifically so I can wok. Which I have been doing for 40-odd years now, having studied from Martin Yan of Wok With Yan fame. But I haven't tried it here, because of my lousy luck "back home" on electric stoves.  But perhaps more importantly, what makes you think I was not including woks in my comment about deep fryers?

Mine sure as hell is. But of course mine is Chinese, bought at a Chinese grocery supplier, in a Chinatown. And it doesn't have that silly-assed handle, either. And if one can afford the oil, an excellent way to make fried chicken.

IMAG0142.jpg

I must be getting simpler in my old age. I have a couple of small and large frying pans, and a  small and large pot. I got rid of all the specialty items. I can cook any kind of meal I can think of.

31 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Mine sure as hell is.

Capacity doesn't represent the actual depth of the frying oil. Oh, mine is Chinese cast iron. Didn't buy it in Mexico.

Who said anything about capacity? And mine is spun iron, which I prefer, having had several. And if you know what you are looking for, doesn't matter where it comes from: remember, China is a huge exporter, and half the crap we buy anywhere in North America comes from there, so the chances of getting a good wok are entirely up to the buyer. Buying in a Chinatown simply guarantees a good price along with a good selection of merchandise.

Anyway, this is all moot. My point was a GOOD deep fryer... as long as the items are well-covered in oil and properly hot, it doesn't matter how deep it is. Tempura really depends on flash-frying for the best quality with the least amount of grease. Masayumo's, for example, is lovingly cut and cooked, and tasty but if you let it sit for two minutes, it congeals into a mess of coating and oil. Even Suehiro doesn't do it right. But I come from a town where there are several choices for superior, expertly-cooked tempura.

13 hours ago, gringal said:

If you read the Cocina thread long enough, you discover that  most of us don't want to COOK it, we just want to know a good place to EAT it !😉

OK entendido. I am not a gourmet, and would not cook if I get a delicious dish, either.

When I visited Guadalajara first time about 45 years ago, there were only 2 Japanese restaurants, Suehiro and Sakura. They served very well. Nowadays there are so many so called Japanese restaurants in Guad. Only a few restaurants serve right, IMO. That's why I attended Sushi academy in Tokyo to prepare sushi for myself while I am in Mex.

Hope you will find a good place to eat and have a nice day.

Archived