Chapala.com Webboard

About Adoption in Mexico

20 minutes ago, Jingshine said:

Hello ,I am a 35 years old woman, living in ajijic, looking to adopt a baby.does anyone have information,thanks 

Unless you're Mexican, I would look elsewhere.

Yeah, it wasn't too long ago that an adoption controversy engulfed lakeside. Lots of folks from Ireland coming and many of them stayed in El Parque if I recall correctly. What was the final outcome of that if anyone knows?

There was so much disappointment around that debacle.  The poster should of course contact an abogado to get info but could also search The Guadalajara Reporter archives for some initial information and names of individuals and groups to further their foray into treacherous social law waters. 

I believe the legal barrier in Mexico is that every family member, on both sides, have to sign a notarized statement that they agree to the adoption. This becomes especially difficult if one, or both birth parents are lost in the wind due to drugs or criminal activity. Also,by nature and by culture, Mexicans are communal and family oriented, -there is always room for one more mouth to feed. This is changing now. But the feeling that every baby is born with a "bolillo", a bread roll, is still widespread, and many of the families are sustained by incredibly hard working grandparents.

Hi Jingshine,

You can. You need to fulfill the requirements by law that any Mexican citizen needs to fulfill in order to be able to adopt a child.

It's a complicated process, and working with a lawyer is strongly recommended.

We watched a couple spend 3-4 years and 10's of thousands of dollars to adopt an young child from an orphanage near Joco..When it was all said and done they sold their home in Ajijic and moved back to their U.S.home . Their fear was that if they stayed here some long forgotten relative or lawyer would show up wanting $$$. The child is about to graduate from H.S. and all is well with everyone... A long process and very expensive...

I was wrong, it’s not 8 up but

‘Healthy children 5 to 15 years old, children with mild to severe special needs of all ages and sibling groups.  Sibling groups will include at least one child 5 years or older.’

https://creatingafamily.org/adoption/comparison-country-charts/25-factors-consider-adopting-mexico/

the OP wants a baby, which is not possible in Mexico.

About 9 years agoI became friends with a young Irish couple who were renting in our new gated community in San Antonio.                            They had just completed the adoption of a beautiful l Mexican baby. Several of the Irish couples in their group had also successfully adopted,Mexican babies.

We had a going- away party for their return to Ireland, and as far as I know these kids are growing up as Irish citizens.

Suggest you get a good lawyer, before pursuing this venture.   

18 minutes ago, ibbocat said:

We had a similar Irish couple stay next door to us  to with a new baby, they departed suddenly a day before the federal police came looking for them.

Next week there was an report in the local press about babies for sale.

We know a man, released not too long ago after six years in prison for “stealing” babies who were being adopted by Irish couples.  He’s actually a pretty nice guy who is trying to rebuild his life now, and realizes he was involved in illegal transactions.

27 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Good to know that a man who served six years in prison for "stealing babies" now "realizes he was involved in illegal transactions". Wonder how he figured it out.

I think he accepted that he was wrong from the beginning and has paid his dues.  Isn’t that what going to prison should be about?  Reflection and rehabilitation?  Redemption?  Theoretically one comes out a better person?  (Of course it is often not the case, we know that.)

In this case, and in many others that have occurred similarly in several countries, the babies were basically given over to the adoption agency by a parent or parents (or orphanage) thinking they would have a better chance and were paid  Or just for money.  Many poor families sold the children, but didn’t always understand they wouldn’t see them again.  

Ha Guatemala the same laws.. Back on a flight from Guatemala city to Mexico  to LA in 94  I found myself on a place  with a bunch of drk babies with white parents. They obviously were newly adopted babies .. I do not know if the laws have been changed but the OP may want to look into the laws of Guatemala.

Archived