Chapala.com Webboard

Yahoo now Oath

Earl

Alas, I should've closed this account long ago! Now it seems that I cannot get to my email without accepting the new Oath agreement.  Is there a way I can bypass this to get to  my email and address book and close this account without accepting Oath's "privacy" agreement whereby they store all incoming and outgoing mail, etc?

I ended up reading the majority of what there was there to read and figured what the heck, I am already on Facebook so I might as well say I agree to let them spy on me or what ever it is they want to do.

When I got that screen for the first time yesterday, I didn't agree or do anything else but hit the back browser. It took me back to my sign-in page with a message on it saying "Oops, your session expired" or something like that. So I signed in again and it went straight to my email without that Oath agreement coming up. Same routine  again today.

I did something similar when the "oath" popped up. Just went in to my bookmarks and clicked on another site... went there and went back to Yahoo and had no trouble getting to my mail.. and no trouble since. YMMV

I cannot stress how poor the security is on Yahoo's email servers. Does no one recall that two and a half billion emails have been data-mined from Yahoo by hackers over the last four years? Yahoo admitted this publicly earlier this year. Until then, they blamed you, the user, for being too stupid to properly protect your account.

On 4/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, ComputerGuy said:

I cannot stress how poor the security is on Yahoo's email servers. Does no one recall that two and a half billion emails have been data-mined from Yahoo by hackers over the last four years? Yahoo admitted this publicly earlier this year. Until then, they blamed you, the user, for being too stupid to properly protect your account.

I just opened yahoo to check...it shows me all my facebook messages etc ??? ...but I never use it anymore.  Saw this 'oath' thing...hit 'do it later'....got in ok.  Now what?  I don't know...........      Hope I can just avoid their stuff..............forever maybe??  

To forever close your Yahoo account (with a 40-day grace period, click here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN2044.html

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get you to sign the new Oath agreement (the company now running Yahoo for AOL).

In some cases, Yahoo won't actually remove everything for up to 180 days, but that depends largely on the country you signed up from. Data connected to a Yahoo Finance Premium account might be kept for three calendar years. And I cannot find anything that says, definitively, ALL your information will be removed.

I wanted to review my account and copy/remove some files, then decide if I'm going to close it. I opted to "do this later" but now the agreement page keeps coming up and I can't access anything, even when I hit "I agree." Is there a link to query this? I use that account every day and there will still be some things I need to see until I can advise everyone to reach me elsewhere...  

There are many. Search Google for "most popular secure email sites" or something similar. Protonmail is one. GMX Webmail. You have to try them all and see what attracts you in terms of design and usage, as well as security. GMail is one of the best, but is not dedicated solely to security.

Archived