Chapala.com Webboard

Jiggers - looking for one

Something I haven't used in years is an alcohol jigger. But had visitors last week and while trying to make them the perfect margarita, I ended up using a shot glass to measure... because I have no jigger. I am not fond of traipsing through the many bazaars, so I'm wondering if anyone has seen one at any store locally. I know Guad will be my next step... or perhaps Amazon... but I am also not fond of driving into and through Guad for such a thing.

If you can't find a metal jigger, shotglasses usually have the measurement lines on them for one ounce and for one and a half ounces.  It will work just as well.  Plus, glass shotglasses can be cleaned better, and won't leave a metallic taste in your drink.

I have been informed that La Playa has them; why didn't I think of liquor stores. Thanks, poolman. And no, a shot glass does not usually have markings on it. That would be crass.

Not to mention, there are many differing opinions on how much liquor a shot glass should hold these days, so there is no longer a standard. All used to be 1.5 oz. AND different countries used different amounts anyway. In Canada, we used imperial measurements, while the U.S. used, of course, U.S. fluid ounces (43ml vs 44 ml). In Denmark, a double-shot is less than a single in Canada; in Russia, 25% more.

Fancy jiggers can be made of hammered copper, or any expensive material a rich guy/gal wants, and many have two cups; one reversed on top of another, for two sizes.

In the end, as I did with my mix, I just made sure the three measures for tequila, triple sec and lime juice were from the same shot... with a little less lime juice. That's what got this whole thought process going.

Most people don't realize that those disposable plastic  drinking cups are accurate for measuring too. Each band corresponds to a measure. You probably have to go to their website to find out. As Moreliana has pointed out, in most of Mexico, especially Jalisco, margaritas are considered to be a women's drink.

Mr. Google told me that a jigger is

Tunga penetrans or chigoe flea, a tropical parasitic arthropod. Jigger, the inner button of a double-breasted coat or jacket. Jigger, an obsolete golf club that was a very low lofted iron with a shortened shaft.

Later it showed pictures of both the flea and of small measuring glasses of the type I might use when mixing drinks.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I have been informed that La Playa has them; why didn't I think of liquor stores. Thanks, poolman. And no, a shot glass does not usually have markings on it. That would be crass.

Not to mention, there are many differing opinions on how much liquor a shot glass should hold these days, so there is no longer a standard. All used to be 1.5 oz. AND different countries used different amounts anyway. In Canada, we used imperial measurements, while the U.S. used, of course, U.S. fluid ounces (43ml vs 44 ml). In Denmark, a double-shot is less than a single in Canada; in Russia, 25% more.

Fancy jiggers can be made of hammered copper, or any expensive material a rich guy/gal wants, and many have two cups; one reversed on top of another, for two sizes.

In the end, as I did with my mix, I just made sure the three measures for tequila, triple sec and lime juice were from the same shot... with a little less lime juice. That's what got this whole thought process going.

Every shot glass I've ever owned had the measuring lines on them.  

Who cares that "most of Mexico, especially Jalisco, margaritas are considered to be a women's drink". They can be very good. Jalisco is just a small part of a big world.

You are Canadian do you remember The Keg steakhouses. They were really a way to get around many Province's tight liquor laws of the time. Everything was Keg size - basically everything was a double. Still have a measuring glass from that marked as Keg size.

Oh, yes, indeedy. They were originall the Keg and Cleaver, and introduced the concept of chatty waiters, hanging plants, and the 50 cent baked potato side, to Ottawa. Not to mention, barrels of peanuts in the bar, and "feel free to drop the shells on the floor". They were a terrific steakhouse. But interestingly, I don't remember Keg-size...

Now they are The Keg, and I (obviously) haven't been in years.

My recipe is 1measure + 2 measures + 3 measures: this requires a deduction of how many margs at what size, then I use what ever tumbler or glass seems appropriate for the #1measure as you all know the ingredients I'm sure u can figure it out. Just my opinion but a shot glass or jigger is for 1 marg, use a tumbler to make a jug full, keeps the guests happy.

Archived