Chapala.com Webboard

Roberto's Terrace

cafemediterraneo

If Bobby Snyder himself is either doing the cooking or supervising the kitchen, I'm looking forward to going there.  For those of us who remember the original Roberto's at the lakefront, we know how good it was. After he moved, became ill, took in a partner and was absent, we know things went way downhill, food-wise. After he sold it, the current place doesn't do it for me.  I went to brunch not long ago and the meal sat like a burpy rock on my picky stomach for the rest of the day. Why?  Cheap oils that never met an olive or a stick of honest butter.  So, let's hope the new place is like Bobby's original place with good ingredients, very well prepared.  I know what he can do if he's of a mind to!;)

So it is Bobby?  Can't believe he has't had his fill of the restaurant business but we'll definitely go if it is him.  We also remember when he was on the lakefront and it was one of our favorite places to go and to take visitors.  Gringal nailed it.

30 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

So it is Bobby?  Can't believe he has't had his fill of the restaurant business but we'll definitely go if it is him.  We also remember when he was on the lakefront and it was one of our favorite places to go and to take visitors.  Gringal nailed it.

I think he likes being active and schmoozing with customers.  It's pretty quiet out there at the beach.

This is what Bobby is posting on his facebook page: 

The Biggest Question I Have Been Asked Since Announcing That I Am Opening A New Restaurant Has Been...."What Kind Of Food Will I Be Serving?" I have honestly been a little coy about answering that question.... because I am going in a whole different direction and I was still finalizing some recipes.

I am NOW ready to answer that question....

My Food will be MEXICAN MODERN!

This is the hottest food trend in Metropolitan Mexico and in the United States. It is NOT traditional Mexican Food although it retains the flavor profiles... it is the next evolutionary step and is some of the most EXCITING food I have personally experienced in a decade.

Soooooooo Stay Tuned for More in the next few days as I post more about what Mexican Modern is....Why I have chosen it....and maybe even a few reveals of the menu I have developed.

The plan is a smaller set menu with weekly specials so I can keep it fresh and current and keep people excited about the menu. As people respond to some of the specials we might put them on the regular menu replacing something that is not doing so well. I will be depending on input from you all as to what you are LOVING. I am thinking about 1/2 the menu is weekly specials

Sounds pretty amazing to me. Can't wait for his to open!!! 

Sounds cool. There are currently a couple of "cooking" series on TV that highlight "Mexico Modern" cooking, and it all looks pretty interesting. These are creations by some of Mexico City's top chefs and restaurateurs.

17 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

But will all the folks "on a budget" support a place like that? Which TV series are we talking about, sounds interesting?

Does anyone know which TV shows feature this type of food?  I just googled "Mexican Modern" cuisine and didn't get much helpful information.

As far as "on a budget" is concerned, we don't know what price level he's thinking of charging unless he posted something on Facebook about it. Since I'm a Facebook Abstainer, I won't know.

1 hour ago, k2tog said:

This is what Bobby is posting on his facebook page: 

The Biggest Question I Have Been Asked Since Announcing That I Am Opening A New Restaurant Has Been...."What Kind Of Food Will I Be Serving?" I have honestly been a little coy about answering that question.... because I am going in a whole different direction and I was still finalizing some recipes.

I am NOW ready to answer that question....

My Food will be MEXICAN MODERN!

This is the hottest food trend in Metropolitan Mexico and in the United States. It is NOT traditional Mexican Food although it retains the flavor profiles... it is the next evolutionary step and is some of the most EXCITING food I have personally experienced in a decade.

Soooooooo Stay Tuned for More in the next few days as I post more about what Mexican Modern is....Why I have chosen it....and maybe even a few reveals of the menu I have developed.

The plan is a smaller set menu with weekly specials so I can keep it fresh and current and keep people excited about the menu. As people respond to some of the specials we might put them on the regular menu replacing something that is not doing so well. I will be depending on input from you all as to what you are LOVING. I am thinking about 1/2 the menu is weekly specials

Sounds pretty amazing to me. Can't wait for his to open!!! 

What is his "Facebook page" so we can "follow" him????

It is the "Real Bobby" and I am sure he will do a great job. He is really excited and motivated - and an excited and motivated "Real Bobby" is something to look forward to.

Here are a few links that address high end/modern Mexican food. I love good ole Mexican street food but there a lot of places around the world that are "kicking it up a notch".

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipes-from-chef-rick-bayless/

http://www.emmasmexgrill.com/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/teocintle-ajijic

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/04/mexican-food-enters-the-fine-dining-realm/478341/

And Rigo and Joel at The Cocktail Bar are discussing putting together a nice menu of "upscale" Mexican dishes - perhaps a once a week event and perhaps some special events to include special drinks and wine pairings. Still in the discussion stage but he will be posting to his Facebook account as he works on developing the idea.

I'm looking forward to what Rigo and Joel come up with and am REALLY excited to see what Bobby does in his new place.

re price and the food he posted this on the restaurants facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LaTerrazaAjijic/

When I decided to come out of retirement and open another restaurant lakeside my first thought was what kind of restaurant it was going to be. Ironically there are very few Mexican Restaurants in the Lake Chapala area and even fewer Mexican Restaurants that offer fine dining. I was immediately drawn to this very obvious void in dining options. But I did not want to just do Traditional Mexican Food. I wanted to be enlivened and excited! I wanted to be challenged.

I have been following one of the HOTTEST food trends in both Mexico and the United States for some time. Mexican Modern gives traditional Mexican Food a Twist and a Modern Take on Old Favorites. It embraces the trend California Cuisine began in the 1970's of using seasonally fresh ingredients and "lightening the tone". So...just as an example if mango's are in season..... maybe instead of a typical pico de gallo salsa... you serve a mango salsa. It also embraces the idea of blurring the lines and combining cultures together. As a lunch time special....instead of an old US standard like Sloppy Joes ....you kick it up and make a Sloppy Jose with a bit of a Mexican flavor to it.

It is the concept of coloring outside the lines and blending cultures and ingredients and flavors that are not traditionally associated with traditional dishes.

Mexico City and Guadalajara have some outstanding restaurants which are embracing this trend but their price points I thought were a little high for regular dining in a retirement community like Ajijic.

The challenge if i was going to go for this was to offer upscale dining, innovative cuisine and still keep it affordable. I think I have succeeded.

I have taken my French Cooking Background. I have mixed it with my 40 odd years in Mexico ... I have added the unique connections I have developed in the Greater Guadalajara area for the best purveyors of seafood and meat and fruits and vegetables... adding some creativity and wrapped it all in a casually elegant package with linen napkins, glassware ... a full bar ... and friendly attentive servers.

I hope the LOGO says it all

FRESH FRIENDLY FABULOUS

Bobby's Terrace facebook cover v3.jpg

5 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

Out of consideration to the current owners of Roberto's Restaurant, it would be nice if the OP changed the title of this thread to reflect the actual name of the new restaurant.

Agree.  The question is whether they can still edit the title.  Maybe the mods will help out.

Plus, I don't think any of us who knew him called him "Roberto"... and I like the new name of the restaurant.

Archived