Chapala.com Webboard

Matching Interior Paint Colors

Need recommendations on where to go Lakeside that does a great job of matching interior paint colors.  I plan to bring in color samples, but I've heard a couple of horror stories!  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.  😊

Colour is all in the eye of the beholder. I gave up on matching paint but, imho, the Sayer Lack Paint store just east of the Pemex in Riberas has the most colour selection books although he doesn't have them all out at once. I was able to find the colour Periwinkle Blue (not that it was called that) and a very soft lilac (again not called that) ... all made with a formula. I like formula's 'cuz they're repeatable with precision.

Really nice quality paint too.

The machine to measure colour is what I was referring to... done by a formula. Most paint stores have them now but that didn't used to be the case here in Mexico. Having formulas for many different shades is a huge perk.

Now, when they have a computer system that can scan a colour and spit out a custom paint formula , they will have matched some of the paint stores in Toronto in 1990

The manager of the Prisa/Truper store in downtown Ajijic is very good at this. They have a color book you can take home.

The Ajijic Prisa store couldn't match their own color chip at all.  The Comex store close to the Ajijic Pemex couldn't either--ended up with dark turquoise instead of teal.  Their computers are not well calibrated.  Best luck with Comex across from the bus station.

47 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

The Ajijic Prisa store couldn't match their own color chip at all.  The Comex store close to the Ajijic Pemex couldn't either--ended up with dark turquoise instead of teal.  Their computers are not well calibrated.  Best luck with Comex across from the bus station.

You need to get the manager at Prisa to do the matching. I've probably done it there a dozen times. If it isn't quite right he can adjust it no charge. I've found the Comex in Ajijic does a terrible job.

Thanx to all of you who chimed in.  I went to the Comex next to Koppel in Chapala, and I was pleased with the customer service and, so far, with the results.  I brought in a Color Tool that I have at home, like a little flipping thing with 100's of color 'chips' and wanted 4 different colors I had tagged.  One young man spent lots of time matching my colors up with their flipping thingie at the store in order to get the numbers that their machine can formulate.  He had a pretty good eye for the nuances of many similar but varying shades.  One thing:  I wasn't expecting, and do not need, perfection.  The 3 guys in the store all did their part to get me my various cans of paint.  Two of the colors have now been applied; and they aren't exactly what I had chosen, but close enough! 

I brought my color palette from the States and had zero luck finding the right tones at anywhere but the Sherman Williams by Pale. All the other’s seemed to have colors that were either too yellowish or pinkish or or greenish - you know what I mean. They were just off.

I had a few Benjamin Moore colors, a few Behr, and luckily some Sherman Williams. They were all rich colors like hunter green, burgundy, mustard, mink, and royal blue with a neutral cream and a few lighter colors in the same families.  I was able to get darn close to the four other brand colors by getting a close SW color and they did all the SW perfect even though they did not have the color swatches for a few - they looked up the formula. 

The problem I’m still having is even though I did an egg shell finish, the paints are still to shiny on the concrete opposed to dry wall. I have a feeling I will never get use to the wall texture. 

DBB0B980-117D-4E44-B266-4AEA073363A8.jpeg

DB3D7917-A355-4FD5-A349-6B9DE75ED78F.jpeg

3DFE8636-6AAB-412D-9517-6B96DD1A579D.jpeg

99DBE887-CFBB-435D-99D8-C96713C7AB7D.jpeg

83FF5115-AF0B-415C-92BE-E351FBAD20AE.jpeg

Hunter green is a colour I gave up on a while ago. Just can't seem to get the depth I was looking for. And I can tell you that this colour discussion is probably driving most male posters nuts. I can still hear my hubby clearly... "Peach is not a colour, it's a fruit".

All base paints here come in matte, semi-brillo or brillo. Check your cans if you have any leftover paint(and I hope you do for touchups). If it's too shiny then it's not matte.

I brought down a color wheel for my local Prisa Paint guy. He had never seen such a thing. I brought it to him after I had bought a color that ended up having that dreaded pink tinge. I'm fairly experienced at mixing color and I brought it back and told him to add some green to it to tone down the pink undertone. He was totally bamboozled, tried to talk me out of it, saying that the original formula didn't have any green in it . I explained to him that if you are trying to neutralize a tone, you add a little of the opposite color on the color wheel. I had him add the green little by little until it matched the sample I brought in.  He was amazed that I knew such a thing, asking me where I had learned that.  Hence, I brought him the color wheel. Last time I ran into him, he asked if I could come in and teach him how to use it, as it was completely non-understandable to him.

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

Hunter green is a colour I gave up on a while ago. Just can't seem to get the depth I was looking for. And I can tell you that this colour discussion is probably driving most male posters nuts. I can still hear my hubby clearly... "Peach is not a colour, it's a fruit".

All base paints here come in matte, semi-brillo or brillo. Check your cans if you have any leftover paint(and I hope you do for touchups). If it's too shiny then it's not matte.

The gentleman at Sherman Williams speaks English so he knew eggshell finish immediately.

I have done many houses with an ex of 24 years and a few men since. Perhaps I always pick visual men because decor has always been a joint effort. When we moved from Washington to Sugar Land my ex bought our home and chose our decor without my input and it was spot on. I don’t think I could be with a man who didn’t have an opinion as to the optics of his daily life. Perhaps that is why I will most likely die single :)

After doing a wall in eggshell and finding it too shiny I went and got matte. Matte is matte no matter what it is on and was dull and absorbed light making it look cheap. Like I said - 55 years of dry wall means I will probably never embrace paint on a less porous surface. It is one of the trade offs for perfect weather.  

Before I worried about matching I would be concerned about the paint type I wanted to use.   Then my alternatives are to match closely or exactly or to repaint everything with the manufacturers closest color.    Hope this makes sense, quality first color next.

I used Sherwin Williams paint everywhere in this old house.  Why? Because the colors are the most pleasing, most subtle and the paint lasts longer.  If you're going to look at walls every day, the extra cost is no big issue.  When you want to paint a large wall magenta, it had better be subtle. :rolleyes: The poster who understood paint mixing was right on target about toning colors down with the opposite one on the color wheel. 

In the interest of thrift, I did look at the swatches at Comex and decided that I'd only use their paint for the interior of the garage.

The Sherwin Williams paint was applied to outdoor walls over 8 years ago and only now needs some patching or repainting.  Same in the kitchen, where walls take a beating.

I'm not saying there aren't some other paints that stand up well, but the colors didn't make the cut with this nitpicker.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:47 AM, cedros said:

You need to get the manager at Prisa to do the matching. I've probably done it there a dozen times. If it isn't quite right he can adjust it no charge. I've found the Comex in Ajijic does a terrible job.

Efren is the mgr at Prisa.  Carla is also very good at matching paint colors there. 

I like the colors of SHerman Williams best but I have yet to encounter a pinter who likes the paint. They all tell me the paint is no good and I have to say that I have used Prisa, Comez and Sherman Williams and Sherman williams is the least durable of the 3.

The Polyprisa from Prisa holds up really well, at least on interior walls (I have no experience with paint on outside walls here- I had them mix powdered color into the outside top plaster coat so I'd never have to paint and re-paint). It is semi-gloss but it actually isn't even as shiny as the photos that BestSideoftheWall posted above of the supposed eggshell. My walls were painted 10 years ago and still look great except for the remains of the bug and gecko wars that go on nightly.

9 hours ago, bmh said:

I like the colors of SHerman Williams best but I have yet to encounter a pinter who likes the paint. They all tell me the paint is no good and I have to say that I have used Prisa, Comez and Sherman Williams and Sherman williams is the least durable of the 3.

All the painters we have used love Sherwin Williams paint.  They all do this for a living.

1 hour ago, bmh said:

Well all the painters we had were professional as well and they all put it down and talked me out of it especially for the exterior.

So, the truth is in whatever results you experience; time between re-painting.  Eight to ten years is good enough for me, especially if I like the color quality better.

The color for me is not an issuemy guys were able to match the colors I wanted.. It maybe an issue the next time as one moved on to another type of job and the other one moved to Guadalajara but they were able to match the Sherman Williams colors without problems..

If a painter talks you out of a certain paint, he may be the most honest painter.

A painter who goes ahead and uses a poor quality paint will be the painter who knows you will need him again....sooner.

Archived