Chapala.com Webboard

TIP sticker- driving from Laredo to Ajijic

Kurbie

In N. Laredo, below International Bridge II, is the building where one gets their tourist visa AND the TIP sticker. After crossing the river, follow the blue CIITV signs to meander through N. Laredo (not far) and retrace a bit to under the bridges.   Sometimes newbies have a hard time finding this building, but....

As TelsZe says, it is easier (but a much farther drive) to cross at the Colombia (notice spelling) border crossing just a bit west of Laredo.

If you know the date you will be crossing, you can order the sticker online through Banercito.  I usually do that and get the sticker within 3 or 4 days delivered to my home in Canada.  I bring it with me, and put it on the car the night before we cross the border. It costs a little more (for shipping) but works well if you want to cut out time at the border itself.  Just an option.  Cheers.

7 hours ago, Canada-Mike said:

DO NOT follow signs to International Bridge - it is for trucks only.(As I learned the hard way.)

Actually Mike, all the bridges carry the terminology ‘International’.  What you did is probably followed the route to International Bridge IV, the World Trade Bridge, which is just for commercial traffic. 

The bridges ‘downtown’ are referred to as International Bridge I (which is currently only open for pedestrian traffic), and International Bridge II (Juarez-Lincoln International) the most commonly used bridge.  World Trade bridge is well west of downtown, as is International Bridge III, Colombia-Solidarity. 

it is 11 miles further to go to colombia but EVERY car is stopped and inspected. i crossed southbound at bridge 2 at the end of IH35 in laredo on easter sunday and the nothing to declare line was waved thru. i then went to the long building down by the river and got my FMM and car permit in 28 minutes and was on my way.

i ALWAYS cross northbound at colombia.

Archived