EL ANCLA

gringal

15 hours ago, NLU said:

gotta give gringal credit when she is right she is right

had chicken today at el ancla

thogh a tiny bit overcooked

it was really good particularly the mushroom sauce

well worth the $130 NMX

Thanks!  I'm picky, but I like to give a plug to restaurants who get it right.  This place has been through so many changes that the new owner deserves one.

Went there yesterday for lunch and had a new dish:  Penne pasta in Poblano sauce with shrimp. I love shrimp when it's done just right, and it was.  All in all, delicious.

Friends went next door to have the pizza and the adjacent chocolate shop owner came over and gave them chocolate samples, which they declared "outstanding".  Next time......:rolleyes:

We have also had problems with El Ancla in the past with the many changes of cooks and  the ups and downs of the food quality. Went back a couple of weeks and there is a excellent improvement in the quality of the food.

Jose, who has been there forever, has a 2 year agreement to rent the Restaurant and is busy making improvements to the menu and has introduced a breakfast menu with competitive pricing. I think it is available 9-noon but if you talk nicely to him the "noon" can be extended an hour or so.

Maybe we will try it today and get back here.

Maybe I should say a few things about Gringal and CG and the price of chicken and also whoever made comments about prices high enough to pay the food cost , overhead and staff.

Mexicans tend not understand the math behind meal pricing in restaurants and end up charging what they think the market will bear. NOB pricing is usually based on multiplying the cost of the food on the plate by a factor of anywhere from 3 to 6 depending on the type of and standing of the establishment. From "mom and pop" to "elegant fine dining", although the top end is probably closer to 7 or 8 now with the price of rents and property so high NOB.

If one applies Gringal's chicken meal at El Ancla and the price of chicken (much to CG's horror) one gets the following. I have rounded costs for those who are math challenged.

First of all CG, I agree that the price of whole chicken has not changed in years, but like  a car the parts are more expensive than the whole. In 2010 whole chicken was about 30-40p per kilo. Right now you can still buy it for 40p. Boneless, skinless chicken breast was 55p per kilo in 2010 and is now over 100p per kilo.

Plate cost

6oz  boneless, skinless  chicken breast- 20p, + vegetables 10p, + condiments, salsa and bread, 10p. Total 40p.

Apply pricing factors. 3x= 120p. 4x=160p.

The price of El Ancla's  chicken at 130p is not out of line CG.

What kills restaurants here is more about volume than errors in pricing or more specifically too many restaurants, too few people and quality problems.

I have owned a m&p restaurant,  managed a restaurant and run club based restaurants. Then I did books and taxes for several restaurants. They all survived using those methods with sufficient volume of course.

7 minutes ago, dave0415 said:

Maybe I should say a few things about Gringal and CG and the price of chicken and also whoever made comments about prices high enough to pay the food cost , overhead and staff.

Mexicans tend not understand the math behind meal pricing in restaurants and end up charging what they think the market will bear. NOB pricing is usually based on multiplying the cost of the food on the plate by a factor of anywhere from 3 to 6 depending on the type of and standing of the establishment. From "mom and pop" to "elegant fine dining", although the top end is probably closer to 7 or 8 now with the price of rents and property so high NOB.

If one applies Gringal's chicken meal at El Ancla and the price of chicken (much to CG's horror) one gets the following. I have rounded costs for those who are math challenged.

First of all CG, I agree that the price of whole chicken has not changed in years, but like  a car the parts are more expensive than the whole. In 2010 whole chicken was about 30-40p per kilo. Right now you can still buy it for 40p. Boneless, skinless chicken breast was 55p per kilo in 2010 and is now over 100p per kilo.

Plate cost

6oz  boneless, skinless  chicken breast- 20p, + vegetables 10p, + condiments, salsa and bread, 10p. Total 40p.

Apply pricing factors. 3x= 120p. 4x=160p.

The price of El Ancla's  chicken at 130p is not out of line CG.

What kills restaurants here is more about volume than errors in pricing or more specifically too many restaurants, too few people and quality problems.

I have owned a m&p restaurant,  managed a restaurant and run club based restaurants. Then I did books and taxes for several restaurants. They all survived using those methods with sufficient volume of course.

It's always a treat to hear from a "voice of experience".  Thanks for your input.:)

And yet Cocinart charges nowhere near those prices and is doing just fine. And by your calculations, steak and shrimp would be astronimically out of range. I don't doubt your experience, but it is all up north, and really has no bearing on cost of living and wages here.

BTW, using the word "horror" was unnecessary. Simply my opinion, not an earth-shattering statement.

10 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

And yet Cocinart charges nowhere near those prices and is doing just fine. And by your calculations, steak and shrimp would be astronimically out of range. I don't doubt your experience, but it is all up north, and really has no bearing on cost of living and wages here.

BTW, using the word "horror" was unnecessary. Simply my opinion, not an earth-shattering statement.

A little unfair, comparing Cocinart to El Ancla.  Cocinart has a prime village location, so more people end up there, especially if they've been to the LCS or the malecon.  El Ancla is out in West Ajijic, and many expats think that going out past Villa Nova is getting out into the 'boonies' for them.  

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Unfair, due to their location? So you're saying the fewer customers you get, the more you should charge. Interesting.

And Cocinart is just one example.

Have you read the prices on the "specials" board at Cocinart lately?  They're up there to a surprising level.  Their regular lunch menu has much lower prices at present, but I wouldn't be surprised if a new lunch menu appears soon.

For real sticker shock, check out the newest menu at Yves.  Yikes! The combination of inflation and the area's current status as the Tapatio recreation destination will ensure that it is just going to get worse.

The solution for tight budget folks is not very pleasant, but it's very simple.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sad to report that the Poblano Sauce Chicken "ain't what it used to be".  Ordered it for lunch today and alas...the chicken was not fork tender; a tough skin was on it, there were no spiced mashed potatoes and I was disappointed.  What's the old saying about restaurants and consistency?  Sad to report this one.

Hi Gringal! If you noticed the blond lady who came in with a white haired guy and sat near you, the lady was me! I ordered the chicken with mushroom sauce, and it was quite a large portion, small side salad and a few veggies. I heard you mention "no mashed p" on your way out, and I agree that was disappointing, they were obviously having a problem with supplies, but the lunch was good, anyway. So was the carrot cake with ice cream for dessert!

On 5/11/2018 at 3:25 PM, JayBearII said:

Hi Gringal! If you noticed the blond lady who came in with a white haired guy and sat near you, the lady was me! I ordered the chicken with mushroom sauce, and it was quite a large portion, small side salad and a few veggies. I heard you mention "no mashed p" on your way out, and I agree that was disappointing, they were obviously having a problem with supplies, but the lunch was good, anyway. So was the carrot cake with ice cream for dessert!

Returned to Ancla, had the mushroom chicken. They redeemed themselves with good skinless chicken, mashed 'taties and plenty of veggies. I like the Poblano sauce much better than the slightly sweet mushroom sauce, though.

Must have been an 'off day' on the previous visit.

Archived