Chapala.com Webboard

Seguro Popular Changes ?

snowyco

While surveying forums around Mexico,  I came across this posting today:

" ... There was a post written the other day on another site regarding Seguro Popular. We have also had issues, for the first time, in signing up clients for Seguro Popular. We would like to address this issue and enlighten others to the situation. Some changes are happening with Seguro Popular...spoke with them yesterday...the rules have changed for foreigners...SP is for the very poor population, individuals and families, who have almost nothing. SP is seeing more and more foreigners signing up who own homes here, who travel back and forth to their home countries, have no pre-existing conditions and in general have way more financially than what Seguro Popular was set up for.

With that in mind, the govt has decided that foreigners who want SP must have a Permanente AND a Yucatan Driver's License to qualify for 3 years. A foreigner holding a Temporal will be given whatever months are left on their Temporal, in other wards til the expiry date or a year if they have a 3 year Temporal...no more. If they want to renew then they must have a Yucatan Driver's Licence. Seguro Popular is a Federal Program but runs on monies from the state.

I believe there will be even more changes coming with the elections and new government. Please, if you have the monies to pay for IMSS, then pay for it. It is understandable that those who have pre-existing conditions and do not qualify for IMSS try to qualify for Seguro Popular. And we guess there are those who are taking advantage...WE DO NOT KNOW. We just want to inform those who were inquiring after that post about not being able to sign up. We did ask, "Well, what if someone does not drive? How would they get a DL?" A bit of a blank stare and "Those are the rules".

We do sign up Expats for IMSS and Seguro Popular but please consider all your options before you sign up for Seguro Popular.

Gracias and hope this clarifies things for many. 1f642.png:)
Carlios & Vikki
"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"MEMBERSHIP AND OPERATION MANUAL.

1.2. Affiliation of foreigners
Like Mexicans, foreigners with a legal stay in the country who are not beneficiaries of social security institutions can apply for affiliation to the System, for which they must satisfy the requirements and documentation established in articles 77 bis 7 of the Law , 42 of the Regulation and numeral Twelfth of the Guidelines.
Regular migration situation in national territory. The first aspect to take into account to determine the origin of the affiliation of a foreigner, is to verify their immigration status in the national territory. To do this, the operating personnel must request the interested party to present their immigration document (residence card) 3. According to the Law of the matter, there are several immigration cards, however, depending on the residence time in the national territory, for the purposes of incorporation into the System only the following will be accepted:
 temporary resident card;
 permanent resident card.
The affiliation of foreigners who present the migratory cards of regional visitor, visitor, border worker and visitor for purposes of adoption will not proceed.4
It is important to point out that the immigration documents related to permanent residence (permanent resident card) do not include any validity, since the holders have acquired the right to reside in Mexico indefinitely.
1 They will be the experts assigned to the Superior Courts of Justice of the States, and in some cases, those belonging to universities. The corresponding Civil Registry will define who are the authorized experts.
2 In terms of article 546 of the Federal Code of Civil Procedure.
3 The following migratory documents will continue to be accepted: Nonimmigrant, Immigrant, Immigrant form, as well as the FM2 (Immigrant Immigrant Document) and FM3 (Immigrant Immigrant Document), as long as they have not expired.
4 They will not be accepted due to their temporality and special characteristics. In the case of the regional visitor card, your stay in the national territory must not exceed more than three calendar days per visit. Those who carry the border worker visitor card, enter the country because they have a formal offer of temporary work, so in that case the employer must provide social security. The visitor for adoption purposes is only authorized to stay because it is linked to an adoption process in Mexico. It should be noted that in terms of Article 59 of the Migration Law, only the CURP of the Ministry of the Interior, temporary and permanent residents, will be entitled to obtain it.

MEMBERSHIP AND OPERATION MANUAL
General Direction of Affiliation and Operation SECTION I
I. Standard criteria National of Migration, or the password issued via Internet.

Official identification with current photograph. If the foreigner is the owner of a nuclear family, he / she can present the residence card issued by the National Migration Institute, or his / her passport as a means of identification.

Proof of address. Foreigners may prove their domicile in the national territory, with any of the vouchers indicated in Annex A of Section III of the Manual.
Foreigners, like Mexicans, who do not present the documents that prove compliance with the membership requirements, may be temporarily incorporated for up to 90 calendar days, during which time they must invariably submit the missing documents and, if necessary, prove his legal residence in the country.
Under the previous assumption, it will be possible to affiliate the System to the migrants who enter the national territory to reach the United States of America."

http://seguro-popular.gob.mx/images/Contenidos/informacion/MANUAL DE AFILIACION Y OPERACION 2016.pdf

Guanajuato´s Seguro Popular tried to do a similar thing [unlawful prejudice] by excluding Residente Temporales from joining about a year and a half ago and was reprimanded and now follows the guidlines, law and rules for affiliation as before.

No drivers license is required to join the Seguro Popular. Someone can report the Seguro Popular in Yucatan for breaking rules.

All money comes from the Secretaria de Salud and is federal money. No state money is involved in running the Seguro Popular.

In at least 6 years neither TR nor PR have been excluded from SP in Guanajuato state. For the past several months TR and PR in GTO state and one other have been required to pay a small annual fee with often only 1 year renewals being allowed.

I truly doubt in Yucatan they insist on a MX driver's license as a high porcentage of Mexicans do not have one. i suspect that is a myth. I am not even sure the PR requirement is true. 

I would not be srprised to see some changes when AMLO wins including need for every one to be a PR to obtain some benefits such as PR, INAPAM, etc.

I also expect some changes in immigration rules. The last INM changes were Nov 9, 2012, days before the current administration took control. 

1 hour ago, Sonia said:

In at least 6 years neither TR nor PR have been excluded from SP in Guanajuato state. For the past several months TR and PR in GTO state and one other have been required to pay a small annual fee with often only 1 year renewals being allowed.

I truly doubt in Yucatan they insist on a MX driver's license as a high porcentage of Mexicans do not have one. i suspect that is a myth. I am not even sure the PR requirement is true. 

I would not be srprised to see some changes when AMLO wins including need for every one to be a PR to obtain some benefits such as PR, INAPAM, etc.

I also expect some changes in immigration rules. The last INM changes were Nov 9, 2012, days before the current administration took control. 

In Guanajuato State Seguro Popular is no longer available to Temporary Residents. Those who are Temporary Residents will keep their current policy until it expires but will not be able to renew. Other states may also be implementing this policy. If in another state and a TR and possible to obtain Seguro Popular you may wish to do so now. Fee structure may also change I am told."

I am cursed with a good memory.

I stated and was correct.

"Guanajuato´s Seguro Popular tried to do a similar thing [unlawful prejudice] by excluding Residente Temporales from joining about a year and a half ago and was reprimanded and now follows the guidlines, law and rules for affiliation as before.

No drivers license is required to join the Seguro Popular. Someone can report the Seguro Popular in Yucatan for breaking rules.

All money comes from the Secretaria de Salud and is federal money. No state money is involved in running the Seguro Popular."

5 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

In Guanajuato State Seguro Popular is no longer available to Temporary Residents. Those who are Temporary Residents will keep their current policy until it expires but will not be able to renew. Other states may also be implementing this policy. If in another state and a TR and possible to obtain Seguro Popular you may wish to do so now. Fee structure may also change I am told."

I am cursed with a good memory.

I stated and was correct.

"Guanajuato´s Seguro Popular tried to do a similar thing [unlawful prejudice] by excluding Residente Temporales from joining about a year and a half ago and was reprimanded and now follows the guidlines, law and rules for affiliation as before.

All money comes from the Secretaria de Salud and is federal money. No state money is involved in running the Seguro Popular."

It happened for 2 weeks while some changes were made and quickly revoked. Yes you are cursed.

Excuse me but why would any visitor or temporal think they should be able to obtain any kind of funded medical here?  Wouldn't that be  up to the travelling expat to obtain their own insurance coverage while out of their home country?  And for the permanente's - I would have thought that almost everybody would be caring their own private medical insurance coverage?  We have a private policy thru Healthcare International Inc. (out of the UK) - they offer excellent coverage for a very affordable price.  They are expat -insurance experts.  Google to find their website.  You can even obtain a quote right on the website.  Many choices layed out for you to see.  PM me if you want more info.  Personally, I wouldn't want to count on SP for anything  and I think IMSS could be close to becoming the same problem.   Food for thought.  

2 hours ago, Guiness said:

Excuse me but why would any visitor or temporal think they should be able to obtain any kind of funded medical here?  Wouldn't that be  up to the travelling expat to obtain their own insurance coverage while out of their home country?  And for the permanente's - I would have thought that almost everybody would be caring their own private medical insurance coverage?  We have a private policy thru Healthcare International Inc. (out of the UK) - they offer excellent coverage for a very affordable price.  They are expat -insurance experts.  Google to find their website.  You can even obtain a quote right on the website.  Many choices layed out for you to see.  PM me if you want more info.  Personally, I wouldn't want to count on SP for anything  and I think IMSS could be close to becoming the same problem.   Food for thought.  

I am trying to obtain a quote, however when you try to enter your date of birth you cannot go lower than 1943 !!! So is the service only availability  to " youngsters ". Or what have I done wrong

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 2:17 PM, Guiness said:

You should not assume that because is residente temporal that they are a visitor. They have the right to live in Mexico year round, and may re-new the temporal when it expires. Why someone would keep temporal is a personal choice, and there are valid reasons.  While living here they are paying a 16% IVA on most purchases which funds the  federal government  which in turn funds Seguro Popular. I would guess that the average Temporal pays about  the same taxes (IVA) to Mexico as the average Mexican citizen.  Applying for private insurance over the age of 70 you will find only one company in Mexico and the annual policy will be over $120,000 and increase every year of age.  IMSS coverage can not begin for someone over 70.

• 3 weeks later...

Mostlylost, Yes that is true They spend money and pay taxes but it is no different from any other country. There are strict laws in Mexico (benefits and deterrents) that Temporal card holders can or cannot get, Like buy a Mexican plated car and you bring a foreign plate into Mexico are 2 + or - but the laws are clearly outlined the choice is there for anyone to become a permanent or Temporal with these choices so are rules. Unfortunately  "Temporal holders" cannot get SP. 

I am grateful for Mexico to allow me these benefits being a Permanent Resident and, I am one who has SP and it is cumbersome at first use for some but I have had good results.

32 minutes ago, glws7777 said:

Unfortunately  "Temporal holders" cannot get SP. 

"Seguro Popular is available to citizens and Temporary and Permanent Residents."  http://www.soniadiaz.mx/health-care.html

I'll go with Sonia's word, sorry.

EDIT: http://www.seguropopular.org/

The requirements for popular insurance that must be met to be part of the popular insurance are:

Reside in the national territory.

Not be a person entitled to any institution that provides social security such as ISSSTE or IMSS among others.

A tempory resident is a resident, no?

you are joking here's a comment from USnews

When searching for a place to retire, many Americans look south of the border. If you can adopt another language and feel at home with another culture, the savings that come with moving south can be a big help in retirement.

However, moving north can be a good option as well. While retirement in Canada isn't the cheapest option, it can be a solid choice for Americans looking to stretch dollars and live in comfort. Here's why you should consider Canada for retirement:

There is no option when retiring in Canada for visas permitting residency. Please give me a Canadian immigration link stating otherwise. I failed to find what you quoted in your offered link, but found this: http://www.livingabroadincanada.com/getting-started/retirement/

If you’re a cit­i­zen of the U.S., the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Japan, the Republic of Korea, France, Italy, Spain, or a long list of other European or Caribbean coun­tries, and you want to stay in Canada for less than six months within a one- year period, you can come to Canada as a vis­i­tor.

Permanent Residence in Canada

To live in Canada per­ma­nently or for more than six months a year, you usu­ally must apply for per­ma­nent res­i­dent sta­tus. As a retired per­son, it can be more dif­fi­cult to qual­ify for per­ma­nent res­i­dence, since the gov­ern­ment con­sid­ers your abil­ity to work – and sup­port your­self – an impor­tant factor.

I could not find anything on the immigration website because they do not offer visas to the retired.

So I guess you could be a sunbird and go north instead of south. Probably a lot of places in Canada less congested than lakeside and with the weak $cdn maybe more affordable.

We have had no problems signing people up.  A few years ago SP tried to deny coverage to foreigners so I went to the head office in Guadalajara armed with the law and made them reconsider.

To reside legally in Canada a foreigner and a retiree would have to marry a Canadian or a permanant legal resident the same as in the US. They have no way to get residency like Mexico at all. This is just the facts. I have no idea where people got the idea it was easy to retire in Canada from.

Of course Permanent residency is harder to get approved in Canada as it now is in Mexico but purchasing a house and splitting your time between countries like a lot of retirees do is fairly easy and welcomed.

. Living in Canada part time is the easiest route. While traveling to Canada is relatively easy for U.S. citizens, retiring there permanently is a different story. Katz explains immigrants must fit specific criteria such as being a skilled employee or have Canadian family members willing to sponsor them. When applying for entry through some immigration programs, age may be a factor, making it difficult for older Americans to gain permanent residency. Fortunately, you don’t have to jump through any hoops if you’re willing to split your time between the U.S. and Canada. You could buy a second home in the country and stay in it for up to six months of the year as a tourist.

Archived