Chapala.com Webboard

Licensing a new vehicle

The original question was about the cost of registration - whether included in the price the dealer quotes, if the dealer pays it, or if the buyer pays it separately. My $30 comment was about the licensing fee which is not a lot of money in the overall cost of a major purchase like a car.

Several folks - included myself - got off into a discussion about dealer discounts on new cars in Mexico in addition to comments about the registration fee.

7 hours ago, REC said:

The original question was about the cost of registration - whether included in the price the dealer quotes, if the dealer pays it, or if the buyer pays it separately. My $30 comment was about the licensing fee which is not a lot of money in the overall cost of a major purchase like a car.

Several folks - included myself - got off into a discussion about dealer discounts on new cars in Mexico in addition to comments about the registration fee.

Yes, the original question was mine.  Are you saying that the licensing is separate from the original registration charge?  Certainly the amount I have been quoted by S&S is much more than the equivalent of $30 US.  

Just now, bdlngton said:

Yes, the original question was mine.  Are you saying that the licensing is separate from the original registration charge?  Certainly the amount I have been quoted by S&S is much more than the equivalent of $30 US.  

Perhaps we are not talking about the same thing and I did not use the correct term in my original post.  Am I to understand there is a one-time registration fee on top of the yearly licensing fee?  

I believe there is a fee to register your new car in your name; AND a fee to purchase plates.  The purchase of plates is different and runs about 4 or 5 thousand pesos.  The first fee is in your dealer prcing.  It replaced the yearly “tenencia” we once had.  The fee for plates is your hook.   Dealers can do this for you but will charge you the additional 5000 pesos.    

10 hours ago, El Cartero said:

I believe there is a fee to register your new car in your name; AND a fee to purchase plates.  The purchase of plates is different and runs about 4 or 5 thousand pesos.  The first fee is in your dealer prcing.  It replaced the yearly “tenencia” we once had.  The fee for plates is your hook.   Dealers can do this for you but will charge you the additional 5000 pesos.    

The Hyundai dealer charged us $400.00 pesos to do that in Aug. They sent a kid down with the paperwork to pay for us. We could have done it  but didn´t want to kill a morning standing up in a line.

54 minutes ago, tomgates said:

I bought a new car 3 years ago using S&S and the dealer (Vangardia) comped both the license plates and the emissions sticker. 

We have purchased 5 new vehicles through S & S and there has been a charge each time for registering and licensing the vehicle.

Sorry to disappoint So many of you  but I probably went to 10 different dealers except Honda and they all gave discounts.   They also

told me they give the discount directly to a person locally  buying cars for those afraid to shop there.

No it is not just used cars.  Believe it and they will not loose their dealership.  Go there yourself.

Is the truth so painful to hear.  I would think people would want discounts and not argue against it.  If you want to pay full price that is your option.  Do not argue about someone just saying what happened.  

16 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

Sorry to disappoint So many of you  but I probably went to 10 different dealers except Honda and they all gave discounts.   They also

told me they give the discount directly to a person locally  buying cars for those afraid to shop there.

No it is not just used cars.  Believe it and they will not loose their dealership.  Go there yourself.

Is the truth so painful to hear.  I would think people would want discounts and not argue against it.  If you want to pay full price that is your option.  Do not argue about someone just saying what happened.  

Ya right.

Archived