Chapala.com Webboard

Our experience with Benno's

Zeb

Called him two days ago to get computer service.  It would have been our first.  He couldn't talk and asked that we call back in 20 minutes.  Never offered to return the call.  We tried to reach him many times after that, unsuccessfully.  Finally got him the next morning and set an appointment for 11 a.m.  He said he would call when on the way.  No one showed.  We called back.  He said couldn't come until 4 p.m.  No one showed again.  At 4:30, I called and spouse was told "she" could be here the next day.  We were never told it would be someone else.

We said no.  He called back a few minutes later and I asked what happened.  Was told "she" was delayed on another appointment.  I asked why no one called.  He had no answer, but wanted to re-schedule.  I finally said no.  No apology.  No business sense whatsoever. 

If this is how new business is treated, I wouldn't want to be an existing customer.

yes Benno is very busy, it worth the wait and time, he fixed my computer and also built one for me.

yes he may get things done manana, but he work  and expertise   a few times he did not charge to look at my computer it had a simple fix.

i gave him a tip.

i highly recommend him.

complain all you want, your computer wont get fixed any faster.

I always willing to wait and work on his schedule.

yes i had special ordered parts that may have taken two weeks  to get them, but worth the wait.

his expertise help me pick the right part to order,

happy, happy Benno is great

Remember Benno is in the states. He sold the store maybe 6 to 8 years ago and new management took over at that time and then less than a  half year ago, Benno's was sold again and there is another new owner. I hope he has things up and running again. A couple of weeks after he took over I had a bad experience ordering a printer cartridge, coming back several times only to see that he got the wrong model for me.

I went elsewhere and was helped much more rapidly.

I hope that things are up and running again.

9 minutes ago, johanson said:

Remember Benno is in the states. He sold the store maybe 6 to 8 years ago and new management took over at that time and then less than a  half year ago, Benno's was sold again and there is another new owner. I hope he has things up and running again. A couple of weeks after he took over I had a bad experience ordering a printer cartridge, coming back several times only to see that he got the wrong model for me.

Pete....  Who are you using now-a-days?

11 hours ago, Joyfull said:

Call or email Gabe Gheda. Very reliable, we have used him for about 3 years and he has been able to fix our issues each time he comes over.....on time. Perfect English spoken

etccomputers@gmail.com

‭(376) 765-2538‬

Thank you.  This is helpful. 

3 hours ago, Oatsie said:

Pete....  Who are you using now-a-days?

It depends. If I need parts or printer lazar cartridges I would go to Computerland on Riberas del Pilar, if I needed a new printer etc. I would shop around to include checking with Costco, Walmart, or Steren

If I had software problems I would see Mike the Computer Guy.

If I didn't know where to go, I would check at the weekly Friday morning Computer Club at the LCS and ask there what they would recommend.

And maybe soon Benno's will be a good choice again. I hope so.

Well about 2 weeks ago I took my computer to Benno's because I suspected it had a virus(es) and was unable to reload McAffee. Was told that all was fine. I then managed to reload my anti virus program and ran a deep scan. It picked up and quarantined 5 viruses.......

8 hours ago, johanson said:

Just little note...I think Benno and his family returned to Belgium after his father was detained by narcos while hiking with his dogs.  It was about the time of the May massacres.  

Re house calls, Kia is their person... she’s great.  I call her directly now.

Actually Benno's Mom and Dad, younger brother and two younger sisters did go back to Belgium for the reasons you stated above. However Benno had met an American girl and they returned to the states where they are a married couple. His father-in-law and mother-in-law run an orphanage that used to be in Joco and is now I understand on the Librimento. I have breakfast with a group that  Benno's father-in-law also attends several times per month and occasionally see Benno when he visits his wife's family here along the shores of Lake Chapala

10 hours ago, johanson said:

In February I had my laptop fixed by Bannon's.  The gentleman I dealt with, who I believe is the owner, is named Luis.  Is he still the owner?

On 3/27/2018 at 6:36 PM, Zeb said:

Called him two days ago to get computer service.  It would have been our first.  He couldn't talk and asked that we call back in 20 minutes.  Never offered to return the call.  We tried to reach him many times after that, unsuccessfully.  Finally got him the next morning and set an appointment for 11 a.m.  He said he would call when on the way.  No one showed.  We called back.  He said couldn't come until 4 p.m.  No one showed again.  At 4:30, I called and spouse was told "she" could be here the next day.  We were never told it would be someone else.

We said no.  He called back a few minutes later and I asked what happened.  Was told "she" was delayed on another appointment.  I asked why no one called.  He had no answer, but wanted to re-schedule.  I finally said no.  No apology.  No business sense whatsoever. 

If this is how new business is treated, I wouldn't want to be an existing customer.

I called the Benno business for a home visit to get my printer communicating with my PC. Guy that answered the phone said Oh a woman working for us does home visits. He took my name and phone number and said he would get back to me with an appointment. Never heard from them. I got Adrian Ramos to come out the next day and fix the problem for 200 pesos.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:37 PM, Joyfull said:

Call or email Gabe Gheda. Very reliable, we have used him for about 3 years and he has been able to fix our issues each time he comes over.....on time. Perfect English spoken

etccomputers@gmail.com

‭(376) 765-2538‬

Thanks so much.  Great to have these resources listed, and your experience with them, for future reference.

19 minutes ago, simpsca said:

...said he would get back to me with an appointment. Never heard from them.

The Four Rules of Mexico For Foreigners

1. Don't drink the water.
  2. Don't drive at night.
  3. Never make an appointment.
  4. Never loan money.

After months of excuses to fix a computer screen, I was just informed that my laptop was "lost" at the airport. No deposit money returned. Assured that I will be filing a report with PROFECO.

1 hour ago, colliju said:

After months of excuses to fix a computer screen, I was just informed that my laptop was "lost" at the airport. No deposit money returned. Assured that I will be filing a report with PROFECO.

Are you saying Benno lost the laptop at the airport?  Just want to be clear I understand.

On 3/29/2018 at 12:46 PM, simpsca said:

I called the Benno business for a home visit to get my printer communicating with my PC. Guy that answered the phone said Oh a woman working for us does home visits. He took my name and phone number and said he would get back to me with an appointment. Never heard from them. I got Adrian Ramos to come out the next day and fix the problem for 200 pesos.

Could you provide contact information?

On 3/29/2018 at 1:03 PM, bdmowers said:

Thanks so much.  Great to have these resources listed, and your experience with them, for future reference.

We called Gabe Gheda twice. Did not call us back.

I tried the new Benno's a few months ago, took them a laptop that was running very slowly and the sound was not working.  The next day they told me it was ready, that it had no problems but they wanted 150 pesos for looking at it.  I said "Oh yeah?  Is the sound working now?" and it still wasn't.  After some discussion, they agreed not to charge me anything, and I took the laptop home.  I spent several hours that night poking around the laptop's software, and finally found a sound driver that was in contention with other stuff.  Fixed that, the laptop's sound returned and the performance issues ceased.

Archived