Chapala.com Webboard

Concession land

If anyone one can offer some about the access of renting federal zone land, it would be much appreciated.

We are in the process of doing this  and have been for many many months. It has also cost a great deal of USD. The person was recommended by a notario and all we know is that the name on the concession property has not paid about 8 years back taxes. So we had to pay that plus surveyors and layers of people. Now it has been almost 3 months and we were told any time now. That has changed to well maybe a year and there is still more to pay.  We are hoping there is someway to speed this up.

It really would help . If you want to PM me that is fine.  Please no questions why we want it or any snarky remarks.  We are just asking for advice.

Which agency is processing federal land zone concessions? SEMARNAT handles federal maritime concessions. It is extremely slow and expensive. I have been waiting 14 months so far for a concession on the beach with no end in sight.

I had it done years ago with ocean front property. It took years to do. We even had to have an environmental study done (which was a farce). A lawyer or two may be necessary.

As More Liana said, I had always heard that it was relatively easy to simply rent said property. Now buying is another matter. In fact, that was what I was told maybe 20 years ago by an attorney. So I am obviously misunderstanding something here.

I am sorry, I didn't mean buy it. I know I cannot. All I want to do is lease it . A neighbor , who I know does not have concession rights, is preparing to build something on it. Claims he has permission but I know that isn't true.  

Thank you for your responses, even if they are discouraging.

2 hours ago, More Liana said:

Why would it be a problem to rent land in the Federal zone?  BUYING land yes, renting??  Why?

Getting a concession is not the same as renting it. With a concession you can build on it legally. 

12 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

If anyone one can offer some about the access of renting federal zone land, it would be much appreciated.

We are in the process of doing this  and have been for many many months. It has also cost a great deal of USD. The person was recommended by a notario and all we know is that the name on the concession property has not paid about 8 years back taxes. So we had to pay that plus surveyors and layers of people. Now it has been almost 3 months and we were told any time now. That has changed to well maybe a year and there is still more to pay.  We are hoping there is someway to speed this up.

It really would help . If you want to PM me that is fine.  Please no questions why we want it or any snarky remarks.  We are just asking for advice.

I'm the first person to tell people they're crazy to expect legal advice on a chat board, so that being said....... Is the "person" recommended by the Notario a licensed Mexican lawyer? If not, I would seek out someone who is and start from the beginning to see if he is doing things by the book or has just been taking your money. If he is an attorney he should be happy to refer you to some satisfied clients so you can talk to them. It's maybe kinda late but better late than never. Purely "what I have heard and not legal advice" but usually the owner of the land adjacent to the federal land has first dibs. If the concession fees and/or taxes have not been paid for some time it's entirely possible someone else could gain those rights and your neighbor could be in the process of obtaining them for himself. If it meant that much to me I would be sitting down with lawyer #2 or #1 whichever the case is to determine if what I just wrote is true or just BS. Good luck.

6 hours ago, cedros said:

Getting a concession is not the same as renting it. With a concession you can build on it legally. 

Thank you.  He did say 'rent' in his original post...

To all of you who posted advice. I have received news tonight that is extremely troubling news, first it is quite possible we have been scammed out of mucho $$$$  USD. Secondly if we had sold the house with the idea we were just waiting, we could have had some big legal problems.  We did go to a notario and a lawyer. The notario recommended this  facilitator. 

One of our neighbors gave us the information to check in Guad. which we will if the place is open.  This is really upsetting. I will keep you posted. We will share everything we learned as painful as it is, so no one else gets scammed.

No  Jay Schall we did not get a number, no one told us to expect one.  I guess you could say we were naïve, but going to a lawyer and notario we thought was the right approach. 

cedros  There are limits on what you can do on federal land. Actually there are 3 levels of concession with various restrictions and allowances. 

Archived