Chapala.com Webboard

Exiting Mexico with Car. Nogales in. Nogales out?

mexart

They won't know. When and if you turn in the sticker they do not care. You should not have to pay any fines as they have already taken your deposit. I did it once because I was ill and couldn't take my car to the border. I just lost my deposit as they didn't care that I was unable to drive it. I recommend that you clear the car and get the receipt as until you do you won't get another TIP.

PS, get a safe return letter from someone like Spencer McMullen to ensure that the car can't be confiscated on your trip back. You never know where a state cop is checking vehicles on the road. 

Oh, yes, big problem.  They want to see the car at the border whether it's drive-able or not.  They won't accept police reports, insurance reports, photos, even the sticker on a piece of windshield, nada. Only want to see the car.

There should be no problem IF one gets the safe return document from SAT as Angus has said.... Seguro Retorno letter makes the car ‘legal’ to drive to the border if done within 5 or 6 business days from the receipt of the document.  The document can be made out so that ‘any’ specific person can drive it out.... not just the owner. Cheap insurance.  Stop at the border and have the sticker removed even if you have already lost the deposit on it. Keep the receipt ‘forever’ just in case.

On March 27, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Yo1 said:

Oh, yes, big problem.  They want to see the car at the border whether it's drive-able or not.  They won't accept police reports, insurance reports, photos, even the sticker on a piece of windshield, nada. Only want to see the car.

They don't HAVE to see the vehicle, they will accept police reports. insurance reports. It's a huge hassle and expensive to get all the required documents together. It's not something most expat's  could do on their own.. You would need someone like Spencer to do it for you ,...But it can be done...  

Not in my personal experience at all.  I had everything including the letter from the insurance company showing the payment for my totaled car, insurance report, police report and photos from every angle including license plates and VIN.    I told them the car was 1100 miles away and not driveable.  Aduana didn't care.  They HAD to see that the car was totaled.  Ever wonder why there are soooo many junk yards along the highway just before Nuevo Laredo?  Cars that were towed and dropped from all over the country.

18 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Not in my personal experience at all.  I had everything including the letter from the insurance company showing the payment for my totaled car, insurance report, police report and photos from every angle including license plates and VIN.    I told them the car was 1100 miles away and not driveable.  Aduana didn't care.  They HAD to see that the car was totaled.  Ever wonder why there are soooo many junk yards along the highway just before Nuevo Laredo?  Cars that were towed and dropped from all over the country.

Maybe you should have hired a lawyer to present your case for you...

A lawyer told me to get a new passport and bring another car in on the new passport number.  That it was impossible to get the car off the Aduana database.  Believe me, I spent 5 years fiddling with Aduana and finally said FU.  What is your personal experience,TelsZ4?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 7:09 PM, Yo1 said:

A lawyer told me to get a new passport and bring another car in on the new passport number.  

This is what I ended up doing. Had a motorcycle that I brought down and eventually sold it to a dealer here. He promised that he would be able to take care of the paperwork. Of course when I tried to bring another vehicle down Aduana still showed the bike under my name. New passport took care of the problem.

Archived