Chapala.com Webboard

turning down part B

The Medicare website says:

Because you must pay a premium for Part B coverage, you can turn it down.

However, I cannot find instructions on the site for doing this.  Has anyone done this without changing your address to a Mexican address with Social Security?

7 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

The Medicare website says:

Because you must pay a premium for Part B coverage, you can turn it down.

However, I cannot find instructions on the site for doing this.  Has anyone done this without changing your address to a Mexican address with Social Security?

It is easy. I was forced to return to Texas to sign the forms even though I changed my address to Mexico.

5 hours ago, Joco said:

If you sign up again in the future, you will be charge a penalty of about 10% for each year.

For those of us true immigrants that never wish to return to the US, that is a mute point.

Check further. About 4 years ago you had to opt out of part B. Two years ago you had to opt in if you wanted it. If you didn't want Part B then nothing was required. 

My SSA address is in Mexico. Create an account at My Social Security and you should be able to get all the info you need or at least a way to find out.

This may apply:

"You're first eligible to enroll in Part B the month you return to the U.S. to establish your new residence. You won't have to pay a late enrollment penalty if you enroll in Part B within 3 months of when you first return to the U.S."  https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/outside-us/signing-up-for-part-b-outside-us.html

When I signed up for SS I did it online from Mexico. But I used a VPN so it would show a U.S. IP address, Not sure if it would have worked without doing that but don't know for sure. I use a U.S. address and have my check deposited to my U.S. bank. I didn't have to go to the U.S. or sign anything in person. That was 6 or 7 years ago so things may have changed.

I used the www.ssa.gov website. If you have used a USA address for your SS then it is not a problem. If you do not already have an account at that website and if you are using a foreign address for SS you will need to make an appointment with the SS office in the consulate in GDL.

And please read all the info at the link sent by Angus McTavish so that you understand the implications of the different scenarios.  It's possible to actually speak to someone at Social Security and i have found them very helpful.  But I would read what's on the website first and call to ask about specific things that are incomprehensible.

Be careful what you wish for, things change. Probably 8 years ago I was living happily in MX paying for the nearest Medicare doctor who was 700 miles away. I made several calls, of course waiting 45 minutes onhold each time, only to be told to call another number and finally I got some wet behind the ears kid who was incredulous at my request "you mean you actually want to disenroll"? - I was equally incredulous and asked "is disenroll an actual word"? - silence. I continued. He said I'd have to fill out a form, I said I darn sure didn't have to fill out one to enroll, the SS just automatically enrolled me. So, he sent the form, I completed it, returned it and the deductions continued, I called at least twice more and finally gave up.

I returned to TX 3 years ago still paying monthly and intended to return to MX, but things changed and I didn't return. At that point I had paid into Medicare for about 10 years and never used it once. Then came SuperBowl Sunday this year, I spent about 6 hours in two ER's with the total bills over $6,000, Medicare says my max payments will be $1,252 - so, in retrospect, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing they wouldn't let me quit, things change.

Your 

9 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

Then came SuperBowl Sunday this year, I spent about 6 hours in two ER's with the total bills over $6,000, Medicare says my max payments will be $1,252 - so, in retrospect, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing they wouldn't let me quit, things change.

The ER would have been paid by your free Part A coverage.

Part A is not really "free" unless you never earned any money during your life.

Medicare and FICA are deducted from every paycheck throughout your earning years. If you're self employed you pay the full 2.9% of your income for Medicare.

I was self employed for 35 years and paid a substantial amount into Medicare that I'll probably never use.

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

Your 

The ER would have been paid by your free Part A coverage.

Not according to Medicare site: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/emergency-dept-services.html

Emergency department services

How often is it covered?

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers emergency department services. Generally, these services are covered when you have an injury, a sudden illness, or an illness that quickly gets much worse.

Emergency services may be covered in foreign countries only in rare circumstances.

Who's eligible?

All people with Part B are covered.

57 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Not according to Medicare site: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/emergency-dept-services.html

Emergency department services

How often is it covered?

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers emergency department services. Generally, these services are covered when you have an injury, a sudden illness, or an illness that quickly gets much worse.

Emergency services may be covered in foreign countries only in rare circumstances.

Who's eligible?

All people with Part B are covered.

I think that emergency service referred to is other than in a hospital. The poster said he was in a hospitals emergency room. Medicare says:

In general, Part A covers:

Also. if you are enrolled in the VA Healthcare system, an emergency room deductible is $50 USD. If you have no insurance at all, the hospital must treat you for any life-threatening condition regardless of your ability to pay.

I ain't worried as I am not going back, even in a box.

3 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

Yes of course, over 65 is enrolled. However, ER is not "in patient" billable. It's "out patient". I drove to the ER, I drove to the 2nd ER and I drove home. I was never admitted to a hospital so it's out patient billable. Part B covers a fair amount of it, but not all.

You are actually an in-patient until you leave.

Accountants have seen to that subtle little difference. ER's are a separate unit from the hospital so I was an out patient. When my wife was in the hospital years ago for neurosurgery and was then sent to the recovery unit, which was down the hall, that was a separate unit and I paid copays to both units. But Angus, if you want to come up and argue that one out, I'll split the savings with you, no problem. I've already paid for several "services" that occurred while I was sitting half dressed on the edge of an exam table waiting for someone to actually fix the problem.

28 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I think that emergency service referred to is other than in a hospital. The poster said he was in a hospitals emergency room. 

Part A covers hospitalization....meaning you must be admitted.  FWIW, I have known folks who have been in ERs for 12+ hours.  

Archived