Chapala.com Webboard

Loud music in San Antonio--how to contact the bar?

On 3/30/2018 at 3:48 AM, gringohombre said:

Pleeese!!!  All the usual suspects running on trying to prove they are smarter and more sophisticated than others. I am tired of these rational posts being hijacked by the same $%&/()s (lets call if for what it is). I happen to live 2 blocks from this facility and know Antonio (and also was a good friend of Nanette, his deceased wife). The noise has been minimal  at my home and I have been there for a few events and enjoyed the music and companionship of the Canadians and Gringos (and also Mexicans) who are attracted there (I also happen to be half Canadian). As far as I am concerned this is a very well run facility that is adding to this area of San Antonio and I am sure that they will take the neighbors concerns into consideration and make adjustments to minimize it. I live here and intimately know the situation and  am tired of the same small group on this board that seem to think that that they can weigh in on all subjects, most of which they know nothing about. 

Apparently Mr. maincoons did not read this about[gasp!] Mexicans enjoying this facility and not just gringos and hosers.  Does the first and last sentence apply to mr. m as well?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ned small said:

Apparently Mr. maincoons did not read this about[gasp!] Mexicans enjoying this facility and not just gringos and hosers.  Does the first and last sentence apply to mr. m as well?

No problem Ned, give us the particulars of when you've been there and all the Mexicans you counted in a gringo bar playing gringo music in the middle of a mostly Mexican neighborhood.

Helpful hint:  It is WEST of the Iron Horse.  :D

2 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

No problem Ned, give us the particulars of when you've been there and all the Mexicans you counted in a gringo bar playing gringo music.

Helpful hint:  It is WEST of the Iron Horse.  :D

I was there last night and it was about half Mexican clientele. Of course there was a very mice Latin band, not loud or raucous, and a good time was had by all. The OP says that she (he) lives 2 blocks away...well so do I and no noise problem in my house even with windows wide open, no air conditioner on (who has them here anyway) and TV off. Very confusing. 

Rather than debate the  level of"noise" music etc, is not the issue should a commercial business  be in a residential area...YES or NO

Sadly the SAT or Chapala administration are unwilling to close it down or regulate the noise volume 

My sympathy to all the locals affected

2 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

...the issue should a commercial business  be in a residential area...YES or NO

Is there such a thing as a residential area? Are villages zoned? Should is not an enforceable word.

13 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Is there such a thing as a residential area? Are villages zoned? Should is not an enforceable word.

If you visit Chapala City hall and ,anage to persuade the Jeffe to show and tell ,there are plans. ALSO THERE IS A LEGEL REQUIREMENT FOR NEIGHBOURS TO BE ADVISED THAT A CHANGE OF "ZONING " IS PROPOSED AND HEARING OR INPUT INVITED

The "gray" area around Lakesake seems to be Riberas which is MIXED

Sadly all of the regulations are mute if you have a Administration who are deaf and blind

14 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Rather than debate the  level of"noise" music etc, is not the issue should a commercial business  be in a residential area...YES or NO

Sadly the SAT or Chapala administration are unwilling to close it down or regulate the noise volume 

My sympathy to all the locals affected

I am sure that you must live in a gated community up in the hills...no commercial businesses there. However most of us live in the pueblos along the lake where commercial businesses are sprinkled throughout the population. In my opinion this is good.since here we can walk to various shops, markets, restaurants and yes clubs without the hassle of getting in the car, fighting traffic and pouting the air. Just a personal opinion but I love my life here in a traditional Mexican town. 

15 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I am sure that you must live in a gated community up in the hills...no commercial businesses there. However most of us live in the pueblos along the lake where commercial businesses are sprinkled throughout the population. In my opinion this is good.since here we can walk to various shops, markets, restaurants and yes clubs without the hassle of getting in the car, fighting traffic and pouting the air. Just a personal opinion but I love my life here in a traditional Mexican town. 

Did you notice Gringohombre's location is in S.A.T?  (Not gated in the hills, unless he's moved).

1 minute ago, bmh said:

De facto there is no zoning in the village , I think the only thing that is banned is raising pigs,, probably not because of the noise but because of the sanitary issue..

"Zoning" in the village would be a bad joke, since in my time here I've seen third story additions and a four story (counting the basement) number has gone up on my street, now with a barred "cage" on the balcony hanging several feet over the street itself.  Zoning, for all practical purposes....what zoning??

4 minutes ago, suegarn said:

Actually, there are a few gated communities in S.A.T.  El Dorado, Birds of Paradise, Chula Vista Norte, Vista Alegre.

I do not consider these the "pueblo" of S.A.T. I live in the heart of town...2 blocks from the Plaza, Adalitas, Marios and yes, Funky Finns. No noise problem at my house, so I do not understand all the fuss here. 

9 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I do not consider these the "pueblo" of S.A.T. I live in the heart of town...2 blocks from the Plaza, Adalitas, Marios and yes, Funky Finns. No noise problem at my house, so I do not understand all the fuss here. 

Some of your other posts indicated that you live in town: thus, my assumption.

Yes that is right G

ringal, when I was looking for a house the realtor told me" there is no zoning in the village , anything can happen" and boy he was right He told me if you want protection buy in a gate community with rules to your liking. Years ago several neighbors got together to fight the noise and dust of a block factory..thye won that one but not because of the rules or the zoning.. We see 3 stories building go up we hae seen all kinds of things since we got here and zoning is not one of those things..

On 3/30/2018 at 3:48 AM, gringohombre said:

Pleeese!!!  All the usual suspects running on trying to prove they are smarter and more sophisticated than others. I am tired of these rational posts being hijacked by the same $%&/()s (lets call if for what it is). I happen to live 2 blocks from this facility and know Antonio (and also was a good friend of Nanette, his deceased wife). The noise has been minimal  at my home and I have been there for a few events and enjoyed the music and companionship of the Canadians and Gringos (and also Mexicans) who are attracted there (I also happen to be half Canadian). As far as I am concerned this is a very well run facility that is adding to this area of San Antonio and I am sure that they will take the neighbors concerns into consideration and make adjustments to minimize it. I live here and intimately know the situation and  am tired of the same small group on this board that seem to think that that they can weigh in on all subjects, most of which they know nothing about. 

How many times does gringohombre's comment have to be reposted before you understand it, mr. maincoons?

ned small  not Nedro

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I was there last night and it was about half Mexican clientele. Of course there was a very mice Latin band, not loud or raucous, and a good time was had by all. The OP says that she (he) lives 2 blocks away...well so do I and no noise problem in my house even with windows wide open, no air conditioner on (who has them here anyway) and TV off. Very confusing. 

Thank you for a civil response.  I do wonder how you would feel about this if it was next door or across the street.  I also wonder if you understand now the door is open there is really no practical local limit on how loud, how late, how many days per week, and so on.  Once the door is open, it is open.  If this or any subsequent operator decides they can make more money with more/later noise, bigger events and crowds, they can do so in this municipio.  It has already happened.

In an area that is loaded with much more suitably located commercial property that can be rented for this purpose it is a complete mystery to me as to why anyone would think that continuing to allow people to open bars with amplified music in the middle of residential neighborhoods is a good thing.  I'll just have to leave it at that and hope for the sake of you and your neighbors that this doesn't turn into that sort of problem as others have.

5 hours ago, bmh said:

Yes that is right G

ringal, when I was looking for a house the realtor told me" there is no zoning in the village , anything can happen" and boy he was right He told me if you want protection buy in a gate community with rules to your liking. Years ago several neighbors got together to fight the noise and dust of a block factory..thye won that one but not because of the rules or the zoning.. We see 3 stories building go up we hae seen all kinds of things since we got here and zoning is not one of those things..

With respect to your realtor  observations,  "no zoning". Perhaps to be more accurate..."yes zoning but no reinforcement "

So my  friend be careful what you wish for. Maybe your neighbours house becomes a fish store

Every lakeside pueblo from Joco to Chapals has bars, restaurants and clubs next to and across the street from residences not to mention up and down the block. Yes, there are noise problems but most manage to work it out one way or another with the authorities and population there. As a 10 year resident as a renter, in the same location, I always have to option to give a notice and find another and better location. So i would advise all the "concerned" gringos to either find a gated community home or rent. 

The door was opened LONG before any of us got here. There is no such thing as a "residential zone" in any of these communities - other than gated communities or perhaps La Floresta. And even those communities don't have as much clout as they might like.

We have a restaurant across the street from us that was not there when we bought our house - very busy with live music several night a week. Nobody in the neighborhood is thrilled but it is what it is. We all just deal with it. The biggest problem that we have is people parking in front of our garage - sometimes several times a week. Very inconsiderate and totally avoidable but not the end of the world. Still love our neighborhood and our house.

Not wishing anything, the situation is what it is. About 16 years ago a block factoru moved next to us.. we got together with the neighbors and they moved on.. yes forget about zoning there is no such a thing as a residential zoning unless you live in a controlled community.  At least a fish store is quiet...

I am lucky enough to be far enough away from most of this. So I haven't weighed in, but this thread is getting silly. First, a legitimate gripe about noise is attacked by others who say it isn't noisy. If it is noisy to some, it is noisy period. To take people to task because it is not noisy for you, for whatever reason, is pretty childish.

Second, saying you have lived here for 10 years and "most manage to work it out" is a pretty sweeping statement that indicates you are familiar with every instance of noise problems and have seen the solution to all of them. Well, I've been here nearly 20 and I can tell you for a fact I only know what I personally been involved in, and that is not much in the overall picture. So I don't buy the generalization at all.

Third, this lame comment about "moving" is just that: pretty lame, and insensitive. Right now I have a dog-training school that moved in one side of me, and a house under construction for the last year on the other side of me. The daily noise is maddening, and frustrating, and all things considered, absolute b***sh**. But I'm not going to move, and give up my lovely home of several years, for a whole variety of reasons that would be obvious to anyone who lives anywhere.

Might as well weigh in on this.  I really, really, don't like living with noise. The sound level of whatever is tolerable to some; not to others.  Good earplugs are one way of dealing with it. The suggestion about moving is insensitive, but if the noise is truly ruining your days, that is the final solution.  When someone makes the decision to move here, there are options about WHERE to settle. For those who want peace and quiet but move to the center of one of the villages...WHAT are they thinking? ...that this is like NOB, complete with enforced zoning laws? ...that they are going to be able to change the situation? These are the folks who would enjoy life a lot more if they'd choose to live in a gated outlying community.  That's the simple truth, since we are in Mexico with the purpose of enjoying our lives here. For those who didn't realize what they were getting into or for whom an annoying venue started up after they moved, maybe it's time to sell out or give up their rental and move on to a more lovable spot.  Moaning and groaning is useless. Much as I love my old house, I'd do that if an unbearable noise situation happened.

Archived