Chapala.com Webboard

Loud music in San Antonio--how to contact the bar?

1 minute ago, AngusMactavish said:

No, I'm not Ned. EZPZ's style of bitching made me sure it was from a female.

Sorry, I should have recognized Ned.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when a sound ordinance for the area was first introduced to the public along with digital measurements stating how loud the sound could be in dBs.  Well all kinds of us with our smart phones downloaded one of several dB apps for our phones so that we could say more than gee it was terribly loud and actually quantify or measure the sound level. Now these were and I guess still are free Apps one could download and I do not know how accurate they are. But at least we could say what the sound level was that we measured and whether it appeared to be in violation of the local sound ordinances or regulations.

Me? I am as far up the hill as one can go by car just above Las Salvias in Ajijic and with a double glazed window installed to help deaden the loud sounds should they reach this far up the hill. So when I hear what must be loud music in the center of town it never bothers me.

These days about the only thing I do not like are those rockets that are fired into the sky and then make a loud explosion, especially at 5 or 6 in the morning. But no big deal. Sure I wake up, but usually I can go back to sleep.

So those of you who have serious noise problems in your neighborhood, why not download a free dB app to your kind of smart to smart phone so that you can quantify how loud this problem is. So that we can better understand how bad your noise problem is.

Pleeese!!!  All the usual suspects running on trying to prove they are smarter and more sophisticated than others. I am tired of these rational posts being hijacked by the same $%&/()s (lets call if for what it is). I happen to live 2 blocks from this facility and know Antonio (and also was a good friend of Nanette, his deceased wife). The noise has been minimal  at my home and I have been there for a few events and enjoyed the music and companionship of the Canadians and Gringos (and also Mexicans) who are attracted there (I also happen to be half Canadian). As far as I am concerned this is a very well run facility that is adding to this area of San Antonio and I am sure that they will take the neighbors concerns into consideration and make adjustments to minimize it. I live here and intimately know the situation and  am tired of the same small group on this board that seem to think that that they can weigh in on all subjects, most of which they know nothing about. 

Well said Steve.. You noticed as I did it's the same few people who constantly bitch about noise.. The sad part about this thread is that the OP didn't even the balls to go and talk face to face with person that runs the establishment first before bitching on this forum.

The owner/manager Catherine is there everyday.. the OP could have stopped by the establishment spoken to Catherine instead of posting on here for the phone number.

Maybe the administration could open a new sub section for noise complaints.. It might free up this board for more useful topics..

23 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Sorry, ezpz, but nobody reads all your posts. They are too long and convoluted. Shorter is better.

Nobody reads his post because they are always about the same thing.. I think he just copies and pastes them from his previous posts...

51 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Well said Steve.. You noticed as I did it's the same few people who constantly bitch about noise.. The sad part about this thread is that the OP didn't even the balls to go and talk face to face with person that runs the establishment first before bitching on this forum.

The owner/manager Catherine is there everyday.. the OP could have stopped by the establishment spoken to Catherine instead of posting on here for the phone number.

Maybe the administration could open a new sub section for noise complaints.. It might free up this board for more useful topics..

Thank you for the complement but my name is not Steve 

On 3/30/2018 at 3:07 PM, TelsZ4 said:

Nobody reads his post because they are always about the same thing.. I think he just copies and pastes them from his previous posts...

The correct pronoun for this person is "she".

On 3/29/2018 at 3:30 PM, ezpz said:

I have to repeat myself. 

I would suggest, ever so gently, that, indeed, it is not required that you do.

15 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

The correct pronoun for this person is "she".

Anyone who doesn't post their gender will have to be happy with whatever pronoun someone else chooses. How dare you "out" ezpz. Wait until someone here starts demanding we all use the new "gender neutral" pronouns, LOL.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Anyone who doesn't post their gender will have to be happy with whatever pronoun someone else chooses. How dare you "out" ezpz. Wait until someone here starts demanding we all use the new "gender neutral" pronouns, LOL.

Sorry, really didn`t mean to "out" anyone. 

On 3/30/2018 at 3:48 AM, gringohombre said:

Pleeese!!!  All the usual suspects running on trying to prove they are smarter and more sophisticated than others. I am tired of these rational posts being hijacked by the same $%&/()s (lets call if for what it is). I happen to live 2 blocks from this facility and know Antonio (and also was a good friend of Nanette, his deceased wife). The noise has been minimal  at my home and I have been there for a few events and enjoyed the music and companionship of the Canadians and Gringos (and also Mexicans) who are attracted there (I also happen to be half Canadian). As far as I am concerned this is a very well run facility that is adding to this area of San Antonio and I am sure that they will take the neighbors concerns into consideration and make adjustments to minimize it. I live here and intimately know the situation and  am tired of the same small group on this board that seem to think that that they can weigh in on all subjects, most of which they know nothing about. 

Thank you!!! I was hoping this was the case. I couldn't imagine Tony owning a super loud music venue. My old friend Nanette would come back to haunt him.

I am the OP.   

I DID speak with Catherine regarding the noise.  I informed her of the Federal Law noise ordinance. I assumed she was unaware of it, and as a newcomer, she would welcome the information. I told her the Mexican neighbors, working-class families with children, were also affected by the loud music (I speak decent Spanish).  She answered: "the mayor of Chapala gave me permission to play music until midnight."  What the mayor of Chapala did not give her was permission to knowingly continue to violate the law and disrespect her neighbors and the community. 

I used 2 different apps on my cell phone on multiple occasions to test the decibel level of the music at the open entrance, back,  and sides, where there are no walls.  As you know, this venue has a raised platform from which the sound reverberates into open air.  The levels have ranged from 47 to 76. I returned to the bar another morning and left a copy of the ley (law) with the 50 db levels circled for a residential neighborhood (which this is) with an employee.  

Fast forward several weeks.  The music is now louder than before. I know others have complained about this recently.  I brought this to the attention of Antonio, who was there. Antonio replied that "there is no Federal noise law."  I told him I would be happy to print out a copy, if he desired, and the noise level is measured on the edge of the property. Antonio said he would consider this. But the overly loud music continues.

The issue is not the music itself. The issue is the volume of the music, and the disregard for the law and the local community.  If I live 2 blocks away and I can hear the music through closed windows, with an air-conditioner running, and a TV blaring, what of those people who live closer and cannot afford air-conditioning and must keep their windows open?  Those people who have to wake early and go to work, or children who go to school?

Adelita's owners are able to respect the law and the community.  If the owner(s) of Funky Finn's don't want to lower the volume to comply with the law--never mind respecting the neighbors--they should do as other bars, such as El Bar Co. have done, and enclose the venue with walls. 

I don't want to believe Catherine is callous and uncaring enough that she has zero concern for the colonia.  I can only hope it is innocent ignorance on her part.

3 hours ago, kimanjome said:

I am the OP.   

I DID speak with Catherine regarding the noise.  I informed her of the Federal Law noise ordinance. I assumed she was unaware of it, and as a newcomer, 

In your original post you were asking how to contact the owner...

Catherine a newcomer...?... How many years do you have to be not to be considered a newcomer..  Did you ask Catherine how many years she has been here or how many bars she has managed in Ajijic.. Did you ask her the name of the very well respected Mexican that owns and built property and who I believe still lives in the area...

Google shows 76 decibels as comparable to "living room music" and 47 decibels comparable to a "running refrigerator", but the OP lives two blocks away with windows closed, air conditioner running, "and a TV blaring" and the music still bothers her? Hmmm.

8 hours ago, kimanjome said:

She answered: "the mayor of Chapala gave me permission to play music until midnight." 

The nub of the problem.  As usual.  What kind of government would issue permits to play loud music until midnight in the middle of a mostly Mexican residential neighborhood?  

It amazes me why anyone would think that converting personal residences into noisy bars operated for profit by gringos for gringos who like to drink and hang out in same--as long as it isn't next door to them--is OK under any circumstance let alone until midnight in a community of people who have to get up and go to work and school while said gringos are sleeping it off in their gated fortresses the next day.

It looks like some of us left any sense of consideration for others and sense of community up north.  These places wouldn't exist if the gringo community didn't patronize them.  With the help of our corrupt local government, expats are the perps who create this problem.  

Amazing.

Archived