Chapala.com Webboard

Clothes Dryer shutting off probably due to high voltage

I had this problems for years and tried many different things to fix it and had a lot of repairmen in to look at it. Our voltage to the dryer was between 135 and 139.

The solution for me was a whole house voltage regulator that permanently reduced current to the circuit the clothes dryer was on to 120. Since then the machine runs like a charm. It completely dries laundry in the set time, never shuts down due to thermal overload or voltage problems, allowing us to complete laundry much more quickly.

I also believe that the other appliances on the reduced voltage circuits are working much more efficiently.

Stand alone voltage regulators including the biggest I could find at Steren could not handle the problem (that one kept blowing its fuse).

The brand is SOLA. I saw two different sizes on the mercadolibre sute, 4000 and 8000. The smaller costs 3500, the larger 6000.

The electrician I used had had a slightly used 8000 unit for which I paid 5000 including installation. I t has made a huge difference.

Thank you for all the great information and recommendations. Eventually I'll do a whole house regulator, but not right now.

I ended up taking the voltage regulator back to Walmart and getting one designed for appliances with motors (Kolblenz 1500VA) . I've only done 3 loads of clothes, but it seems to be working just fine. 

Archived