Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

swimming in Lake Chapala


Recommended Posts

...but that 'eventuality' will find all of us dead and gone!

So back to 'swimming in the Lake'....  do not a lot of (at least) Mexican Nationals, probably the younger ones, still swim/frolic in the Lake?  To each his/her own of course but it might just be that most of us are used to seeing clear water in lakes in the US and/or Canada and are content to just LOOK at the beautiful Lake Chapala AND have it moderate temps both summer and winter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The lake is filthy dirty. That's a fancy trick that Todd Stong does every year, but to what end? He's trying to prove that the lake isn't polluted... when it is? Forget about the lake itself -- its po

Cedros, you don't have to be a degree graduate in a topic to be an expert. Just look at some of the people here who never graduated clown school, yet are still great at the job.

I'm not surprised, but kind of amazed, when people castigate experts on a given topic simply because they are mentioned frequently. Talk about reverse logic. Dr. Stong has been researching this lake a

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, RickS said:

...but that 'eventuality' will find all of us dead and gone!

So back to 'swimming in the Lake'....  do not a lot of (at least) Mexican Nationals, probably the younger ones, still swim/frolic in the Lake?  To each his/her own of course but it might just be that most of us are used to seeing clear water in lakes in the US and/or Canada and are content to just LOOK at the beautiful Lake Chapala. 

I would still do it,joining all the Mexican families, if I weren't disabled. If you lived on the prairies NOB you would know that el lago ain't any worse than swimming in a slough or dug out. Except those had plenty of cow patties in 'em.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most fresh water lakes and ponds become marshes. Eventually, plants take over and raise the ground level even more. Then come the new and hardier plants, followed by forests. It is a very slow process; short of a sudden tectonic elevation.  All is rather unpredictable in the short years we have left.

Speculation and complaining are both futile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2018 at 7:50 AM, ned small said:

No mystery. He and many other scientists and scientific organizations have done a lot of research over the years. Many people swim in it and not just Mexicans. i believe a couple of pictures are worth more than your constant negative words every time a lake topic comes up. Have a nice time swimming in your Raquette Club pool,cedros, but why don't you have it checked sometime for the urine to water ratio.

swimming oct 31,chapala beach.jpg

swim t-shirt 031.jpg

In my years observing  the lake I have seen very few people swimming in it. Those pictures were of a special event.  You must have pretty low standards. Most of the research on the lake have been done by the University of Guadlajara not Dr. Stong.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Xena said:

I have enjoyed reading this thread. My advice is to live here or not. Move here because of the beauty of the area and the people. Don’t move here because you fear the feminization of bullfrogs. Argue over who knows more about the lake and who is or is not an expert. It really does not matter. The lake is here and it is beautiful. You can live the wonderful life offered here or play junior scientist and attempt to generate as much fear as you can. We shall all be dead soon enough. Lake Chapala will continue to exist as it has for thousands of years. 

I respect myself enough to make sure where I move is safe for my well being. I'm clearly not the type of person to stick my head in the sand. I have no intention of dying at someone else's hands. By the way I'm a physician and not a junior scientist. Just give me the facts and not the fantasy. By the way what happens to the bull frogs happens to you.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, medcare651 said:

I respect myself enough to make sure where I move is safe for my well being. I'm clearly not the type of person to stick my head in the sand. I have no intention of dying at someone else's hands. By the way I'm a physician and not a junior scientist. Just give me the facts and not the fantasy. By the way what happens to the bull frogs happens to you.

 

I have a number of research articles on the lake but how to send them to you. Too many pages to post here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cedros said:

I have a number of research articles on the lake but how to send them to you. Too many pages to post here.

Thank you. My email is medcare651@gmail.com. I would be happy to accept the papers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, medcare651 said:

Thank you. My email is medcare651@gmail.com. I would be happy to accept the papers.

As mentioned before, the Lake water temperature is 20C, or about 70F. I am surprised that there no underwater thermal springs. That is cold, not chilly. A public swimming pool is kept at 84F, down to 82F for sports swimming. So you would need a tropical weight, 3.5 mm, full wetsuit, which is comfortable down to 65F. It should also protect your skin, somewhat, from potential toxins. There is also a swimming mask, with a built in snorkel, which will prevent you from ingesting any water.

Another great disappointment for me in Mexico, is the many beautiful, inviting swimming pools. Only to find that the majority of them are unheated, and as such, only used 3 to 4 wonderful months per year. Heating is expensive. The wetsuit can be used in these pools too, partially protecting your skin from chlorine. These unheated, chilly pools are common even when we lived in Puerto Vallarta. But there the ocean temp flucuates from 80F to 86F. The unheated pools are about the same morning temperatures as the night time temps, low to mid 70's.

Hope this helps. At some stage, creature comforts become important.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, medcare651 said:

Can you just post the links?

I don't have the links-but the actual articles. If you want the articles to wade through PM me yout email address.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Medcare, if you haven't figured it out yet, the greatest threat to your well being in Mexico is the automobile. A great deal of recklessness and outright stupidity. I have not driven my vehicle for 4 months now. We take taxis for important appointments. Groceries, liquor, Amazon, all delivered. I haven't run the numbers yet but I think this cost effective. The main driver we hire is very skilled, knows Mexico inside out, and drives for hours every day. He is also completely bilingual and trustworthy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chillin I just sometimes laugh out loud at your ideas. Not because they are funny but IMO often pertain to how you live your life lakeside, passed off as how others might should or have to. 

Of course Mexico is 'known' for how many Nationals drive. But to suggest.... to Medcare... that THIS is his biggest threat living in Mexico is just too funny IMO. It's fine that you have decided to only use a personal driver or to order your staples to be delivered to your home. And there is certainly a lot to be said for not driving willy-nilly around town needlessly. But it is a false representation of how life Lakeside can and generally is lived. 

P.S.  A couple of times during this thread Medcare has suggested that Lakeside and Jalisco in general is far too risky to consider as a domicile.. due to environmental issues he/she perceives exists.... so I'm wondering why the continuing pursuit with questions. BTW, his/her perceptions do not ring true with MY reality and more than likely there is not real DATA to support that but, hey, it's OK to have a perception.... until one starts passing it off as reality. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, medcare651 said:

I respect myself enough to make sure where I move is safe for my well being.

If you don't drink the water in the lake and don't swim in it, how is it a threat to your well-being? 

I would say that Mexico is not a good choice for you. Mexicans (not all, of course) burn plastic, throw garbage around, spray toxic chemicals wantonly, drive like maniacs. There is a lot of noise pollution. If you are going to be upset and freaked out about such things, you should stick to living in first world countries where everything is well-regulated.

DNA altered frogs will be the least of your issues if you move to Mexico.

.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RickS said:

Chillin I just sometimes laugh out loud at your ideas. Not because they are funny but IMO often pertain to how you live your life lakeside, passed off as how others might should or have to. 

Of course Mexico is 'known' for how many Nationals drive. But to suggest.... to Medcare... that THIS is his biggest threat living in Mexico is just too funny IMO. It's fine that you have decided to only use a personal driver or to order your staples to be delivered to your home. And there is certainly a lot to be said for not driving willy-nilly around town needlessly. But it is a false representation of how life Lakeside can and generally is lived. 

P.S.  A couple of times during this thread Medcare has suggested that Lakeside and Jalisco in general is far too risky to consider as a domicile.. due to environmental issues he/she perceives exists.... so I'm wondering why the continuing pursuit with questions. BTW, his/her perceptions do not ring true with MY reality and more than likely there is not real DATA to support that but, hey, it's OK to have a perception.... until one starts passing it off as reality. 

A really good post Rick, and I agree with EVERYTHING you say.

Chillin lives in a world alone and the other is approaching troll like characteristics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

A really good post Rick, and I agree with EVERYTHING you say.

Chillin lives in a world alone and the other is approaching troll like characteristics.

JAJA! thingy

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cedros said:

I don't have the links-but the actual articles. If you want the articles to wade through PM me yout email address.

Sent to medcare651

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

majority of them are unheated, and as such, only used 3 to 4 wonderful months per year. Heating is expensive.

Your entire post is woefully incorrect and uninformed.   First of all, many people swim at 70 F and enjoy it.    For those who don't, it is easy, effective, simple, and economical to use solar pool panels to heat a pool to the mid-80's F and even higher.      

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

it is easy, effective, simple, and economical to use solar pool panels to heat a pool to the mid-80's F and even higher.      

This is true, many long term solar pool panel users here on the board and all across lakeside....ask MaineCoons, in fact, he can attest.    🙂

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cedros said:

In my years observing  the lake I have seen very few people swimming in it. Those pictures were of a special event.  You must have pretty low standards. Most of the research on the lake have been done by the University of Guadlajara not Dr. Stong.

Families frolicking in the lake are a special event???. As well as swimming in it and[gasp!] swallowing some water once and enjoying myself and not glowing in the dark,I simply call the lake a giant prairie slough in JEST.  I don't constantly slag something that I am not really familiar with like you have done for years. As well as Doc Stong there have been many studies done by all kinds of scientists and scientific institutions, not just the Uof G, hardly any of which back up your ridiculous unfounded negativity. There is no special event in this foto that you reposted unless you consider the norm of Mexican families doing things together as special. If so, you are not very observant of Mexicans.

pedro kertesz

lake chapala swimming1a.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Go Solar said:

This is true, many long term solar pool panel users here on the board and all across lakeside....ask MaineCoons, in fact, he can attest.    🙂

We recently switched to a higher efficiency solar pool water heating system that was able, when used with a cover, to heat our pool to the mid eighties when highest daytime temp poolside was mid to upper sixties.  That is pretty good considering we just didn't have the space for 10 and had to go with eight that are not installed in the most optimal way because of the nature of our rooftop.

If you want to see them PM me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Swimming in water under 70 degrees is not recommended. (yes, that is a period)

https://www.usms.org/fitness-and-training/articles-and-videos/articles/whats-a-safe-pool-temperature

MC had a big problem with his pool, when a neighbor built a 3 story, sun blocking monstrosity next door. I don' t remember if he told us, or someone else did, but it was cool enough to chill his jugs of milk.

And road safety is an under realized killer as well. fact

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4103211/

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

And you are wrong, yet again:      (even tho I and many prefer a nice warm pool, easier to get into)

6 Amazing Health Benefits Of Cold Water Swimming (lifehack.org)

What a load of unscientifically supported bullcrap.

In case you have forgotten how Mexican families enjoy Benito day in, and around the water, look here. Come back in Easter, you will see the entire beach covered with umbrellas.

http://www.cuatesycuetes.com

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...