Chapala.com Webboard

Tipping Disagreement

I know that it is not the custom to tip local taxi drivers when there is no help with luggage.  My husband and I always tip the Uber or taxi driver when we have bags.  However, we are having a disagreement about tipping the driver of a premium car service (such as Miramontes).  He thinks that since we are paying more (600 pesos for a van to the airport) a tip is not required.  I think that since it is a service industry, there is an expectation of a tip, and the driver might not necessarily be getting paid more just because the rate is higher.  Please weigh in!

I always tip our regular driver going to the airport. We generally take a cab from the airport when we return and I always tip the cab driver too. They generally "help" with our bags but I have never thought about tipping or not tipping based on that "extra" service.

The guy that takes me to the airport is his own contractor and I do not tip!   (I also would never pay 600 pesos —— 450 max —).   The Uber Driver or Airport taxi I tip because they pay a service fee ——- (and neither charge anywhere near 600 to bring me home)

Just a little sidebar:   I just returned from New Jersey. The same distance to the air port as it is here and pay 600p. I was charges $ 129 USD. They have a machine and under the cost is a line with 10,15,20,25 %  tip and you choose one. To be fair, there is a none space.

Our regular guy charges $450 going to the airport and I understand that is the going rate for cabs here in Ajijic to the airport.

Cabs from the airport to Ajijic are still $420 - just returned from the U.S. last Tuesday.

I tip both of them but I know folks who think that is absolutely to crazy. So that confirms that I am crazy in many ways - just ask my wife.

1 hour ago, Newjersey expat said:

Just a little sidebar:   I just returned from New Jersey. The same distance to the air port as it is here and pay 600p. I was charges $ 129 USD. They have a machine and under the cost is a line with 10,15,20,25 %  tip and you choose one. To be fair, there is a none space.

What has a taxi ride in New Jersey got to do with a taxi ride in Ajijic Mexico.. ?

The newbies arriving here are bringing their bad habits with them from NOB.  Taxi drivers in Mexico don't expect a tip... Unless they do something extra for you... 

If I was charged 600 peso for a ride to the airport I wouldn't be giving a tip... 

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

What has a taxi ride in New Jersey got to do with a taxi ride in Ajijic Mexico.. ?

The newbies arriving here are bringing their bad habits with them from NOB.  Taxi drivers in Mexico don't expect a tip... Unless they do something extra for you... 

If I was charged 600 peso for a ride to the airport I wouldn't be giving a tip... 

Telsz4.......As I said it was just a side bar. I thought an interesting contrast. Sorry that went over your head.

5 hours ago, bmh said:

It is not an interesting aside.. You want to hear what they charge in Paris.. Nothing to do with the prices here We are in Mexico , I agree  nothing to do with the State so it is a useless comment.

What a nice person you are.

6 hours ago, bmh said:

It is not an interesting aside.. You want to hear what they charge in Paris.. Nothing to do with the prices here We are in Mexico , I agree  nothing to do with the State so it is a useless comment.

Even less interesting.  I tip our garbage men.  It is very small tip but with the daily service we get here, it is not asking too much.

10 hours ago, Tiny said:

Even less interesting.  I tip our garbage men.  It is very small tip but with the daily service we get here, it is not asking too much.

You are right about that, a lot less interesting.  With your unkind statements  trying to put me down.....you have gone way off topic.  . I said it was just a side bar and you both made it an issue .Did you want to start another posting Tiny and bmh or be more productive and help the poster.?

The op cannot be help as wether tipping or not is a question of opinion. Taxi drivers in Mexico do not expect tips unless they perform a special service and it is usually a small tip. In areas like Ajijic or tourist areas they hae been used to getting tips from foreigners. To add to it the Miramontes own thier own business and are more expensive than other services so really it is up to each person to tip or not.

If Tiny was putting down anyone or not is also a question of opinion  so at the end none of this is really important.

19 minutes ago, bmh said:

The op cannot be help as wether tipping or not is a question of opinion. Taxi drivers in Mexico do not expect tips unless they perform a special service and it is usually a small tip. In areas like Ajijic or tourist areas they hae been used to getting tips from foreigners. To add to it the Miramontes own thier own business and are more expensive than other services so really it is up to each person to tip or not.

If Tiny was putting down anyone or not is also a question of opinion  so at the end none of this is really important.

Exactly.  When we use the airport taxi and the guy takes the suitcases out of the trunk and puts them next to the outside door for us we tip him 20 pesos.  If he just opens the trunk and points, no tip.

Mexicans do not respect people who tip for nothing or over tip for usual service.  When in Mexico do as the Mexicans do.

Well, I tip the taxi driver, regardless of who and where. Many times we leave super-early and the folks we call always show up early or on time. It's often around 2:30 or 3 in the morning, so I figure that by using the same people, and giving a decent tip, they'll remember us and continue providing great, timely service. For us, it's definitely worth the extra to make sure we're not watching our plane take off without us. 

Archived