Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel question

mudgirl

I have a Canadian visitor at my home in Mexico and she can call me using her Canadian phone  (Telus) but her texts to me won't go through. Anyone know if she has to change something on her phone, or is Telcel doing the blocking on my end? Seems weird that her phone calls come through but not her texts. She can call me with roaming turned off. Would she need to turn roaming on to be able to send a text? (She doesn't want to do that, as her data fees will be huge, she was told by Telus)

The same thing happened when a friend from the US visited last year.  She had a temporary plan that did not include data when she was in Mexico.  Is your friend sending you an iMessage (iPhone to iPhone)?  Since iMessaging works with data and not as an SMS, that might be why it's not working.  That's what my friend and I concluded, so we just called each other when she was visiting here, and did not text.  Once she returned to the US, we could text again, as her plan includes data up there.

21 hours ago, mudgirl said:

No, she has an Iphone, or some other smart phone and I have an old school cheapo Mexican dumb phone. She was just trying to send a normal SMS.

Tell her to try it with a very short text. If it is too long it won't be SMS it'll be Media. The Credit Card alerts claim to be text messages but I don't receive them on the phone without data as they are too long and have to be downloaded which won't happen. I send them to my cell's email address instead.

I have had problems with text messages when "roaming" is involved. A few times I did not receive messages that was texted to my US phone number on AT&T that should have been received by TelCel here through roaming.

Archived