Chapala.com Webboard

Lake Chapala Crime Watch Facebook Page

As this board doesn't permit crime reporting there is now a facebook page specifically for this purpose:

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=lake chapala crime watch%2Fvigilancia en la ribera de chapala

It is titled:  Lake Chapala Crime Watch in case the link doesn't work.  It will come up readily on a Facebook search.

41 minutes ago, johanson said:

Just provide them a little information and they will probably accept you. Often Facebook accounts require approval by the administrator and/or moderator

The reason they are a closed group is so they can be selective on who they accept..

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Just provide them a little information and they will probably accept you. Often Facebook accounts require approval by the administrator and/or moderator

Exactly.  If you don't like Facebook ignore this heads up.  I'm going to give it a try and see if it is factual and useful.

45 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

The reason they are a closed group is so they can be selective on who they accept..

The first question they ask is about where you live.  The second question is whether you've been a victim of a crime here.  I'm sure the CIA has a whole bunch of well paid spies in D.C. worrying about a small town of expats in Mexico who are sharing local information.  :D

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

There is no good reason to require a login for a crimewatch page that I can think of. Why hide what's going on unless I say the magic woid?

The reason is to keep the focus locally and discourage out of area trolls.

Not good reasons, in my estimations. Leads to a little community with its own kind of trolling, and smacks of superiority. Were you involved in starting it? If so, my apologies... nothing personal.

400 members and several crimes means nothing to those who cannot or will not sign up. Why should it be by sign up? Maybe people forget: Facebook pages need moderation, just like Yahoo groups. That means someone taking responsibility for creating such a thing and watching over it carefully to weed out the crap.

Reporting on crime should be simply that. Open. Otherwise, what's the point?

9 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I'm sure the CIA has a whole bunch of well paid spies in D.C. worrying about a small town of expats in Mexico who are sharing local information. 

It's what can be gleaned from your account and phone that is the concern and not just by the CIA.

Just now, Zipit said:

You are free to start your own open Facebook page.

I would if I wanted to. But you are simply plying a false equivalence; you are arguing against me personally instead of against my points.

Based on the lack of success of past crimewatch pages around here, it would never even occur to me to start such a page.

Not really.  Those who started the page get to choose the format they feel they can handle.  They are not making money from it and can do as they like.  If it isn’t successful, it will close.  If you or anyone else wants an open page with no restrictions as to who reads it, you would be welcome to start one.

Just now, Zipit said:

Not really.  Those who started the page get to choose the format they feel they can handle.  They are not making money from it and can do as they like.  If it isn’t successful, it will close.  If you or anyone else wants an open page with no restrictions as to who reads it, you would be welcome to start one.

"We're so concerned about local crime that we've decided to let everyone share in what's going on, as a helpful, community resource. But you have to have a membership card to get inside".

So start an open page instead of trying to dictate what others should do on their own time.  I don’t see the problem.  It’s certainly better than what was available before which was nothing and with the flood of new expats moving to the area there is a ton of them on Facebook.

Dictate? Really. That's what another's opinion means to you. Well, good luck, Zipit. I know you are not new to this board; you have simply changed your name, and you have once again immediately exposed your prejudices. Adios.

Archived