Chapala.com Webboard

Caring for a tangerine tree

I lost a battle with a young mandarina, which succumbed to plaga. So I replaced it with a sturdy, tall 7-year old. It is bearing some fruit, and so far no signs of blight. BUT as the fruits ripen, I find the odd one on the ground, pretty much hollowed out, and crawling with bugs. My guess is that birds are pecking through, and leaving their feather bugs, which are then decimating the tangerine.

Anyone experienced this?

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I lost a battle with a young mandarina, which succumbed to plaga. So I replaced it with a sturdy, tall 7-year old. It is bearing some fruit, and so far no signs of blight. BUT as the fruits ripen, I find the odd one on the ground, pretty much hollowed out, and crawling with bugs. My guess is that birds are pecking through, and leaving their feather bugs, which are then dessimating the tangerine.

Anyone experienced this?

Fertilize and try some sulfur on the ground. My citrus were doing terrible until I added sulfur to the soil.  You can buy it at the farm supplu store in Chapala or order it on Mercardolibre.

Greening is caused by an insect so keep your citrus trees sprayed.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fruits-fall-off-citrus-trees-58631.html

I have a Tangerine that bears prolifically in late summer. No insect or bird problems.....so far. The tree is about 3 to 4 meters high and is pruned annually.

Good luck with yours. Now can you help me with a Tomato virus that destroys me gorgeous starter plants?

SunFan

9 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Many sites recommend hanging spinning CDs, shiny streamers, and even a beach ball with giant eyes, for the fruit trees. The old scarecrow tricks still work, I guess.

I have a former mother-in-law that you can use.

On 3/16/2018 at 7:13 PM, SunFan said:

I have a Tangerine that bears prolifically in late summer. No insect or bird problems.....so far. The tree is about 3 to 4 meters high and is pruned annually.

Good luck with yours. Now can you help me with a Tomato virus that destroys me gorgeous starter plants?

SunFan

Spray with 1 part milk, 9 parts water. Keep the plants sprayed at least once a week. Usually you can't see the plaga until the damage is done so keep it sprayed. If that doesn't work, there is powdered copper to spray and is organic that I buy at the farm supply stores. You can use the poisons and they will always work but I wouldn't want them on tomatoes. Make your tomatoes stronger by using an acid soil. If the soil is too alkaline, the tomato can't pick up nutrients and is can't resist diseases. If you are trying to grow beefsteak tomatoes, it is very difficult. It will not be hot enough for them to mature when the rainy season hits. Then it is goodbye beefsteaks.

Join this site for more information:

On Facebook, Ajijic Organic Veggie Growers.

Archived