Chapala.com Webboard

Salvador's closing April 1?

Mainecoons

Our hands down favorite for breakfast is closing April 1 and the future is unclear?

I am shocked.  This place has been there so long it is an institution!.  Both the Mexican and expat communities pack the place for breakfast on the weekends.  IMO hands down the best value for good old straight ahead U.S. style artery clogging breakfast in town.

What happened?

Besides a reliable good place for breakfasts , or a meeting places   for many groups, etc......

The Canadian and American Thanksgiving buffets  and Christmas  meals will be  totally missed .                                                                                                                                                           

They were the place to go for these holidays.. excellent food at reasonable prices. 

Sadly, the close of an era ..

Yes, ditto. I was once invited there for breakfast by a chap who had stayed at our BnB. He told me several guys ate there every morning at what they called The Table of Knowledge, seriously! It was pitched to me that it was a great honor to be invited. After making excuses several times I finally had to go and see for myself. You're right, they were much smarter than I and I was never invited back. I hope it wasn't anything I said!

So; to recap: Salvador had Jorge and Salvador, two sons who split up, and Jorge ended up with Salvador‘s, all by himself, while Salvador opened Doña Lola, where he still serves diners every day, but without the “table of knowledge“. 

There! Now all the newbies have a clear understanding of the situation, while some of us oldies may have been lost in the mists of time and change.  Oh well........:unsure:

right on RVGRINGO.

There are now two tables of knowledge at Salvador's. each is planning on a new spot to meet. They are still in the planning stage so they are still discussing possibilities.

Will do. I believe it may be the  Sunrise Cafe in San Antonio,. And on Mondays when Sunrise  is closed, perhaps  Salvador's "Don~a Lola" restaurant in West Ajijic. But the folks are still talking about where to go.

31 minutes ago, zerbit said:

Maybe I'm the only one who won't miss it. Underwhelming food and cranky clientele. Table of Knowledge? LOL, almost as bad as the folks who fancy themselves the "A list"

Hey, careful, those Table of Knowledge folks seemed to take themselves pretty seriously. ........and, well, the "A" listers do too!

On 3/15/2018 at 6:49 PM, johanson said:

Will do. I believe it may be the  Sunrise Cafe in San Antonio,. And on Mondays when Sunrise  is closed, perhaps  Salvador's "Don~a Lola" restaurant in West Ajijic. But the folks are still talking about where to go.

Being table of knowledge persons, one would thing that where to go would be a no brainer for them.

23 minutes ago, ned small said:

Being table of knowledge persons, one would thing that where to go would be a no brainer for them.

Makes me wonder how knowledgeable they really are.

I first ran across this title (TABLE OF KNOWLEDGE) 15 or so years ago. There were often two different groups having breakfast at about the same time at Salvador's. And it had to do with one group teasing the other group about being the table of knowledge. It became a big joke. And it had more to do with the fact that if we had enough people at a table, the chances were greater that someone at the table might have the answer to the question being asked by a newbie.

Over the years sometimes we would all sit together or if the table set up didn't make that possible there would be two tables. These days because of the death of a few, more folks sit at one of the tables than the other. But we are all friends and are sad that Salvador's is closing

Sounds reasonable. That's about the time I went for the first and only time. That day it was strictly about US politics and the Grand PooBah, whoever he was, dispensed knowledge and the "followers" muttered something I didn't quite catch at the time, but now believe it was "Dilly Dilly".

14 hours ago, Tiny said:

I am waiting for the Table of Stupidity. "Dilly Dilly" forever. 

Easy.  Whenever you see a table of expats and hear screeching and heehawing so loud that you can't carry on your own conversation.........you've found one.  Dilly dilly.B)

Archived