Chapala.com Webboard

Butter Crisis

kgreenbury

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, johanson said:

I have to laugh The packets of whatever wrapped in plastic at Salvador's says (when translated) "butter with margarine"

What did it say before the translation, please?

Also, translating without interpretation is what Google Translate does. Just translate, Me vale madre, and then ask a Mexican to interpret it.

Hello to all. I've just joined the group and look forward to getting to know you. I'm Steve from Colorado and will be locating myself there soon.

I'm semi-retired, but want to stay busy with volunteering and maybe a little business on the side. Would anyone have an opinion about a passion of mine? Good health & high energy! I've been into fermenting foods for many years; sauerkraut, pickles, veggies of all kinds, cinnamon apples, yogurts, etc. There's no doubt they work wonders on all kinds of gut related issues. Anyway, I'm wondering if there might be a demand for these PROBIOTIC magic foods along the lakeshore. Just a casual business for specific customers, I'm not interested in opening a store.

Thanks for any feedback you might have for me!

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

What did it say before the translation, please?

Also, translating without interpretation is what Google Translate does. Just translate, Me vale madre, and then ask a Mexican to interpret it.

Heck, I don't remember. Maybe :contents. Mexican Spanish is one of my languages and I translated it correctly. There was only room for 3 or four words. I showed it to Jorge, the owner, and we laughed.

Yesterday, SunshineyDay said she saw Lurpak at WalMart. However, she did not say whether it was salted. No matter, it either puts the lie to the story from Pancho that Lyncott stopped importing (because of walmart), or they found some in storage. Since WalMart at lakeside is historically, and extremely, unreliable at restocking, I'm guessing it never went away; it just was out for a while.

8 hours ago, johanson said:

I have to laugh The packets of whatever wrapped in plastic at Salvador's says (when translated) "butter with margarine"

I think there actually such a beast. I know Lurpak untable (spreadable) is not 100% butter but I can't remember what they mix with the butter to make it soft therefore spreadable.  Maybe margarine.

7 minutes ago, bdlngton said:

I think there actually such a beast. I know Lurpak untable (spreadable) is not 100% butter but I can't remember what they mix with the butter to make it soft therefore spreadable.  Maybe margarine.

Lurpak® Untable con sal

INGREDIENTS

Butter (64%)

Rapeseed oil

Lactic culture

Salt

Rapeseed oil is canola oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to say, the Lurpak crisis was NOT averted; I'm guessing what Walmart had was residual stock - only salted "Untable Light" so not at all what I wanted. None of the foil-wrapped regular, either salted or unsalted and the Untable was gone too, last time I looked. Did notice that Superlake has Anchor again, but must be buying in bulk because they're selling it in shrink-wrapped slabs. Haven't had a chance to try yet.

Just at SuperLake: the bulk Anchor butter is $179/kilo, and is UNsalted. They have no Lurpak. WalMart, as mentioned above, had all the products: salted, sin sal, and untable.

By comparison, the Lurpak 200 gram block at WalMart is currently 50p, or 250p/kilo. Remember when we just used to buy a pound of butter...?

In the case at Superlake are at least 2 dozen pounds of Land o' Lakes Salted butter, and not salted.  Plus about 4 other brands.  I bought 3 of each to put in the freezer.  There are some dishes that just need that familiar butter tang.

On 4/11/2018 at 12:40 PM, ned small said:

All lurpak products were on he shelves in dairy this morning ar Walmart. More of the sin sal which is better anyway.

Apparently there is a person on this board that may need some medical attention because they used the confused symbol for what I said.

19 hours ago, ned small said:

Apparently there is a person on this board that may need some medical attention because they used the confused symbol for what I said.

Is that what that symbol is supposed to mean? 

Archived