Chapala.com Webboard

Butter Crisis

kgreenbury

4 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

My mother was a butter fanatic and was always looking for a richer product. Since she lived in Upstate New York, the land of black and white cows, there were plenty of local choices. One thing she never did was put it in the refrigerator. Always on the kitchen table, nice and soft and ready for the next use.

You can't do that with the cultured butter because it goes off or totally bad quickly. Note that where available in stores NOB it is kept in the freezer section. Here Walmart ,etc. only with the other dairy products

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ned small said:

Speak for yourself as far as what  North Americans grew up with. Read carefully next time. I said  "that style made in Mazamitla" and I was referring to European cultured butter as per Lurpac.

I suggest instead that you write more clearly, with less vitriol, a tad more compassion, and a general healthy regard for other people on this board.

Now that that's out of the way, I still don't understand, and you can berate me all you like (because that's what you like), but I'm sure others would like to know how butter made in Mazamitla is European style "as per Lurpac", whatever that means.

1 hour ago, ned small said:

You can't do that with the cultured butter because it goes off or totally bad quickly. Note that where available in stores NOB it is kept in the freezer section. Here Walmart ,etc. only with the other dairy products

Not as long as she consumed it in a short amount of time.....which she did, LOL

On 3/22/2018 at 4:07 PM, luvsdawgs said:

Just came back from Pancho, no Lurpak. According to him, Lynncott? was the importer for all of Mexico for Lurpak. Walmart was the biggest customer in Mexico, Lurpak raised the prices and Walmart decided to discontinue carrying it. As a result, Lyncolt,  not sure of the spelling, stopped importing Lurpak. So no more for us. The 500 gram, one pound,  President brand costs $139.00 pesos, about $7.50 US.

I will be going to see the Belgian couple at the market for my butter from now on. 

How much do they sell it for.  I heard it is very good

On 3/22/2018 at 4:07 PM, luvsdawgs said:

Just came back from Pancho, no Lurpak. According to him, Lynncott? was the importer for all of Mexico for Lurpak. Walmart was the biggest customer in Mexico, Lurpak raised the prices and Walmart decided to discontinue carrying it. As a result, Lyncolt,  not sure of the spelling, stopped importing Lurpak. So no more for us. The 500 gram, one pound,  President brand costs $139.00 pesos, about $7.50 US.

I will be going to see the Belgian couple at the market for my butter from now on. 

Not that it necessarily is relevant to lakeside but I just yesterday bought some Lurpak Untable here in PV from my favorite cremeria. So it is being imported by someone and if you have a cremeria up there that handles Half n Half, etc. I would ask if they can get it. Lyncott is the Half n Half we buy.

Lots of Lyncott products here too, Pappy, like Crema, 1/2&1/2, Crema para Batir, even queso cottage. But the solid and untable butters seem to have disappeared from lakeside; don't know about Guad.

No longer in Wally here also but if the cremeria in Chapala or Joco handles Lyncott perhaps they can order. Just an idea and quicker to find out the answer than going to Guad.

Butter can also be frozen for about 6 months. After freezing, butter has a tendency to taste saltier. Unopened and unsalted butter can be refrigerated for 8 weeks. Salted butter in its original packaging can be refrigerated for 12 weeks. Once a pack of butter is opened, it should be used within 3 weeks.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Lots of Lyncott products here too, Pappy, like Crema, 1/2&1/2, Crema para Batir, even queso cottage. But the solid and untable butters seem to have disappeared from lakeside; don't know about Guad.

Have you ever used La Abuelita butter?  I just bought a stick to try it, will report back when I do.  It's a Gloria product, so I don't have much hope...image.thumb.png.c4bba68ebd8d5f046acf4d4bf9037e7d.png00750101362028L.jpg

2 hours ago, More Liana said:

Have you ever used La Abuelita butter?  I just bought a stick to try it, will report back when I do.  It's a Gloria product, so I don't have much hope...image.thumb.png.c4bba68ebd8d5f046acf4d4bf9037e7d.png00750101362028L.jpg

I have in a pinch and it's not very good, IMHO.

YMMV

18 minutes ago, ned small said:

A friend of mine was in Superlake and an obvious snowbird said to her husband"there's no butter here" as they stood in front of the fridge, so my friend told her  the packages that say mantequilla on them are butter.

I wonder if they believed him/her. Snowbirds are very careful about being hoodwinked.....................ya know?  No suckers they!!

Go anywhere and ask for mantequilla and you will get margarine, unless you insist on mantequilla de vaca. Google translate says that mantequilla is butter and so does Bing Translate. Ya, I know that there is a Spanish word for margarine and it must be used somewhere, but not here.

5 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Are you sure that isn't manteca, which is lard, but sometimes butter, as in almond butter? (la manteca de almendra).

Without a doubt. Try asking sometime.

mantequilla

Spanish[edit]

250px-NCI_butter.jpg

Mantequilla

Etymology[edit]

Diminutive of manteca.

Pronunciation[edit]

• IPA(key): [mänt̪e̞ˈkiʎä]

Noun[edit]

mantequilla f (plural mantequillas)

1. butter

2 hours ago, Tiny said:

What about lard? Have you had any good lard lately.  I prefer bacon grease.  We might will talk about all of them.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I buy manteca (lard) from a butcher, about a quarter kilo at a time.  I take a lidded plastic container and he fills it up.  Best thing for biscuits, cornbread (ask me about cornmeal, if you can't find that), and stir-frying many Chinese dishes.  Lard rules for those things.

I buy only certain kinds of mantequilla (butter).  I'm thinking La Abuelita isn't going to be one of those.  

Yes, I save and use bacon grease.  Not for every application, but so delicious in some.

I never buy margarina.  Poison.

McT, it's not because the word means margarine. Quite clearly, from the majority of sites, and from Spanish speakers I have engaged with today since your note, it means butter. Margarina means margarine, and I produced a photo for you for proof. Lala, clearly the biggest dairy company you can imagine, and one would assume knows how to name their products.

Here's the thing: if you go to a store and ask for mantequilla, you will get butter. If you go to a restaurant and ask for mantequilla, you will most likely get margarine. It is not because that's what the word means; it's because everyone tries to save a buck, and so they slip you the cheapest option.

You go to any restaurant up north and order coffee, then ask for cream, what are you going to get? Milk. This doesn't mean the word cream is a substitute for the word milk.

Around here, you ask for agua, you might get lucky with the response "Natural, o...?" But many servers will take the opportunity to bring you a fairly expensive bottled water. This doesn't mean the word agua means "bottled water".

Archived