Chapala.com Webboard

Butter Crisis

kgreenbury

Was at Walmart today and there was no sign of my Lurpak butter - neither salted nor unsalted.  This is a "must have" in my kitchen but Superlake stopped carrying it some time ago and I've been relying  on Walmart.  I'm devastated -; first they pulled the New Zealand Fern, and now if Lurpak vanishes I don't know what I'll do. Haven't found another brand that's comparable. Is there anyplace else I can try? Might Pancho have it in his new place?  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WalMart runs out of things all the time. This one doesn't seem to operate on the same "replenish" system that stores up north use. I can't imagine why not, but... so the butter will return. Hey, I've been looking for may arrechera burgers for weeks. Jack Daniels BBQ sauce. Freezer ziplock bags. Plant food sticks. My brand of boneless frozen wings. Decent carrots. Campbell's tomato soup.

On the other hand, WalMarts in Guadalajara are much-better stocked and maintained. Our Wally and Soriana are considered the butt end of the stick.

Meantime, go for President's salted butter at WalMart. Better price, just as good.

I do know that about Walmart `cause I've had the experience with other things, but when it involves my butter it's serious.  I sort of panicked.  Thanks for the reassurance and I'll try the President's Choice while I wait, tho I don't remember seeing that there either, today. I know the other Costco butter isn't going to do it for me...  I have one frozen Lurpak in reserve; will try to eke it out. Sadly, I've never had the nerve to drive in Guad, so I rarely get there; busing isn't really an option if you're shopping much, especially groceries. 

Just came back from Pancho, no Lurpak. According to him, Lynncott? was the importer for all of Mexico for Lurpak. Walmart was the biggest customer in Mexico, Lurpak raised the prices and Walmart decided to discontinue carrying it. As a result, Lyncolt,  not sure of the spelling, stopped importing Lurpak. So no more for us. The 500 gram, one pound,  President brand costs $139.00 pesos, about $7.50 US.

I will be going to see the Belgian couple at the market for my butter from now on. 

The President brand is 92p for 500 grams at CostCo. Except of course this week, they had none. The same brand at WalMart is 52p for 200 gr, at Superlake 62p for 200 gr. I find it just as good as the Lurpak.

If true, WalMart proves itself once again also being the stupidest  retailer in Mexico.

Wow, that certainly turns this discussion in a different direction. I have never seen it here. First, I don't think butter actually feeds on grass.

Okay, now that we got that out of the way, what benefits would grass-fed cow butter offer?

EDIT: A quick check uncovers this: Kerrygold is only 90% cows on grass; 10% is soy and corn. And only 97% (guesstimate) GM free. We used to get Anchor butter here, but that stopped coming in a few years ago... it was supposedly 100% grass fed.

The only decent commercial butter available around here is Lurpac. It actually has a flavour of butter because it's European cultured and available unsalted. I don't care because that style made in Mazamitla and available in more than one place in Chapala is butter perfection. Probably less than the commercial but I don't care even if it isn't because it's butter perfection and I can get it in any size. Fantastic thickly spread on Melba toast.  Pre-salted butter is heresy.

What Mazamitla style?

So European butter has a 4 or 5% higher butterfact content, so the yummy taste comes from more fat. Salt helps to keep my butter from going bad, and I like how it tastes on popcorn. And of course it enhances the flavour of butter, particularly on things like toast; how silly to suggest otherwise. Especially for North Americans who grew up on the taste salted butter.

5 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

What Mazamitla style?

So European butter has a 4 or 5% higher butterfact content, so the yummy taste comes from more fat. Salt helps to keep my butter from going bad, and I like how it tastes on popcorn. And of course it enhances the flavour of butter, particularly on things like toast; how silly to suggest otherwise. Especially for North Americans who grew up on the taste salted butter.

Speak for yourself as far as what  North Americans grew up with. Read carefully next time. I said  "that style made in Mazamitla" and I was referring to European cultured butter as per Lurpac.

My mother was a butter fanatic and was always looking for a richer product. Since she lived in Upstate New York, the land of black and white cows, there were plenty of local choices. One thing she never did was put it in the refrigerator. Always on the kitchen table, nice and soft and ready for the next use.

Archived