Chapala.com Webboard

corn beef for saturday

johs

Talk to Pancho at his new store just west of the Pemex in the El Barco location. He ordered 2 for me to pick up today after 1pm. Might check if he is getting more than 2.

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

"Beef cured with salt only has a gray color and is sometimes called "New England corned beef". The pink corn beef comes from the nitrates in pink salt or curing salt. Not the same pink salt that you see in stores around here. That is pink Himalayan salt.

The reason curing salt or Prague Powder #1 or #2 was colored pink was so you didn't confuse it with regular salt and use it for cooking or seasoning. It's got nitrates and nitrites in it ( which gives corned beef its color, not the actually coloring in the powder) 

Now with the popularity of pink salt, I wonder how many people will ingest Prague Powder by mistake? 

I have a pound of it on hand to brine my own corned beef at home. About a tablespoon pee #5 lb of brisket does the trick. 

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

"Beef cured with salt only has a gray color and is sometimes called "New England corned beef". The pink corn beef comes from the nitrates in pink salt or curing salt. Not the same pink salt that you see in stores around here. That is pink Himalayan salt.

The reason curing salt or Prague Powder #1 or #2 was colored pink was so you didn't confuse it with regular salt and use it for cooking or seasoning. It's got nitrates and nitrites in it ( which gives corned beef its color, not the actually coloring in the powder) 

Now with the popularity of pink salt, I wonder how many people will ingest Prague Powder by mistake? 

I have a pound of it on hand to brine my own corned beef at home. About a tablespoon pee #5 lb of brisket does the trick. 

22 hours ago, zerbit said:

About a tablespoon pee #5 lb of brisket does the trick. 

You add a tablespoon of pee to your brisket? I won't eating at your place anytime soon!

(apologies, no harm implied or suggested, just an unfortunate typing error  :lol:)

Archived