Chapala.com Webboard

Superlake going downhill??

HarryB

I was there yesterday as it has always been by go to place for veggies. Not anymore. The sweet potatoes were soft and some with mold. Around the corner I had to search bins to find a pepper that wasn't squishy or wrinkled.Dry beets minus their tops. A lot less variety in the baked goods. Only two kinds of muffins. They better sharpen up  or they will lose customers.

Chris

I was there yesterday as it has always been my go to place for veggies. Not anymore. The sweet potatoes were soft and some with mold. Around the corner I had to search bins to find a pepper that wasn't squishy or wrinkled.Dry beets minus their tops. A lot less variety in the baked goods. Only two kinds of muffins. They better sharpen up  or they will lose customers.

Chris

Going downhill fast. Staff has become hopeless, especially at the checkout. Items I once counted on are not being replaced. Prices have gone up about 20% on non-perishables, it looks like, almost across the board. Fruit and veg, which was Pancho's thing, are becoming awful: less choice, less fresh, with a few exceptions.

But the people arriving now will have no idea of the changes; they will just see it --like the traffic-- as the way it is, and since there are no other places for many of my specialized needs, I don't think they will suffer until the overall store becomes out of date.

Agree.prices shotup.i  buy mamas deli stuff there quiche was 50 pesos per slice.now smaller and 65 pesos.wether thats mamas descion or sl I dont know.

Many tinned products suddenly more expensive as well.cant blame peso dollar fx for that at the moment.

However I prefer it to panchos for the small amount I buy.

Actually I am going there less and less. I shop closer to home because I do not want to bother with the parking or the traffic. I only go there for  a few things I cannot get anywhere else maybe once a month when I used to go there several times a week. There is more choice in the local stores and more of them and I do not go to Pancho´s either.

First off, Walmart (perish the idea) has the best produce. Superlake had good dirty potatoes, small potatoes and yellow onions. When I have to shop, I stop eastbound on the Carretera and hit Pancho's. He is starting to have more and more of the stuff on my list, btw. Yesterday I stopped in and asked about Cornbeef and he said he would order 2 for me to pickup Thurs. Then I hit Walmart and then SuperLake and neighboring stores like Tony's and the fish place for the remainder of my list. Works for me anyway. 

BTW, the peppers were iffy at SuperLake long before Pancho left! 

The peppers at SuperLake have historically been locally grown and sourced, so they don't at all look like the hyper-ecstatic grocery-store type. But most of the time, they were still just fine for me.

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

First off, Walmart (perish the idea) has the best produce.

The best produce, by far, is at the Tuesday Market. They have several vendors who stock a wide variety of produce and it is so fresh, it lasts a week or more. Plus it is grown locally and not sprayed with chemicals so it just looks fresh, and doesn't cost that much more. I figure that I throw away so little now that paying a bit more is worth it.

Several vendors have beautiful peppers that stay fresh and firm for as long as a week and a half. I haven't looked for yellow onions- I've seen white and red and sometimes little green onions. Plus all sorts of squash, lettuce, greens, beets, cauliflower, cute little carrots...

Tues Mkt quality is good but it doesn't have everything and if you don't happen to be there at 10:01 am when the assembled crowd storms the place, most stuff is already bought.

20 minutes ago, rvanparys said:

Costco gets my vote... Super Lake's veggies never looked good to me... If I could find another source of cranberries and sweet pickles I'd never visit there again...

Soriana has a small selection of bread'n'butter pickles for burgers and such, and a few types of gerkin that aren't bad, in jars (not the bulk stuff, yech).

We always found the freshest vegetables at the Chapala mercado publico in the morning, every day.  For those of you who are not within walking distance, as we were, it might be worth a bus trip. The buses arrive from Ajijic right in front of the mercado, and return from the opposite side of the street; easy enough if you have a suitable bag for the trip, and the energy to carry it.

Archived