Chapala.com Webboard

Superlake prices

Al Berca

Kirkland brand all beef regular size hot dogs were marked at 259 for a 12 pack. Had to be a mistake. Checked with an employee who assured me that was their new price. I passed.

Went to Costco yesterday and bought three 12 packs of identical dogs for 279.

I have seen similar mark ups on other items since the takeover. The good thing is that Superlake seems much less crowded that it used to be.

A wise business person will play with prices on most items they stock to find the sweet spot.  Given how much shelf space he has, he has to carry some items that are low markup but others have to bring a high markup to compensate. Since you can buy hot dogs cheap everywhere finding the right price for the Kirklands is the key. For the person who needs that brand, how much can you charge before they do like Al and go get it from the source? That's what makes retail fun.

Tony's meat market also carries the Kirkland hot dogs. Anyone know what the price is there?

The Costco 3-pack Kirkland dogs are a good buy. And the newest Costco shopping service is very good--efficient and pleasant. They've even had to hire an assistant to help with delivery. He's a nice kid, and I'm sure he'll get his act together soon. A little disorganized as yet.

Lexy

1 hour ago, gringal said:

If you like Kirkland hot dogs, why not use the shopping service that goes to Costco, buys 'em and brings them to your door?  Order on Monday; delivery on Wednesday.

I, apparently, am one of those few who enjoy driving to Costco and choosing my purchases while checking out the new items in stock and having lunch at a restaurant in GDL with maybe a stop at Home Depot before heading home with my stomach, backseat and trunk full. I enjoy the drive and time spent. Waiting home for hot dogs to be delivered just doesn't work for me.

22 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

I, apparently, am one of those few who enjoy driving to Costco and choosing my purchases while checking out the new items in stock and having lunch at a restaurant in GDL with maybe a stop at Home Depot before heading home with my stomach, backseat and trunk full. I enjoy the drive and time spent. Waiting home for hot dogs to be delivered just doesn't work for me.

We do exactly this twice a month. Woudn't miss it!

49 minutes ago, conejorapido said:

We do exactly this twice a month. Woudn't miss it!

When we used to drive to Costco, our small car felt like a truck sandwich, with us as the filling. 

In this world, there are people who enjoy shopping, those in between and those who absolutely hate it. For those who belong to groups two or three, there's the delivery service.  For those who enjoy it, carry on.

As for Superlake's markup on the dogs, they have a weekly truck delivering from Costco.  I imagine they have to pay retail and for the delivery as well.  It's no surprise that there's a substantial markup.

57 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

A good markup, yes, but to pay more for one pack of weiners that comes in a three-pack for  20p less? No. That's a markup of over 300%, and that is a tad silly.

..Which is why is makes more sense to just order through the shopping service.  It's ridiculous to pay the Superlake markup. 

2 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

Somebody is doing a weekly minibus trip to costco.

300 pesos. No membership required.facebook.

I saw this service advertised at the KISCH boutique  (1/2 block west of Plaza Bugambilias, just beyond the little plaza with Dermika) today and talked to Ana, the owner of the boutique.  I also met the driver, who is an English speaker--maybe American or Canadian.  They go once a week, although I don't remember the exact day.  They take a maximum of 10 people in a 14 person van to allow room for purchases.  $300 pesos per person.  The phone number to contact is 332-630-3417.

18 hours ago, gringal said:

When we used to drive to Costco, our small car felt like a truck sandwich, with us as the filling. 

In this world, there are people who enjoy shopping, those in between and those who absolutely hate it. For those who belong to groups two or three, there's the delivery service.  For those who enjoy it, carry on.

As for Superlake's markup on the dogs, they have a weekly truck delivering from Costco.  I imagine they have to pay retail and for the delivery as well.  It's no surprise that there's a substantial markup.

Actually, they don't pay retail. As a commercial customer I believe they get a substantial discount.

Archived