Chapala.com Webboard

Bike Lane Completed

41 minutes ago, Out1 said:

The bike lane is already being used for parking just west of Colon.

That will not go over well with the moto riders. They better look out for broken mirrors.

25 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

That will not go over well with the moto riders. They better look out for broken mirrors.

So, now cars and moto riders will war over their mutually illegal use of the bicycle lane? Perfect!

42 minutes ago, Xena said:

So, now cars and moto riders will war over their mutually illegal use of the bicycle lane? Perfect!

So it goes here in Mexico, the land where red lights, stop signs and one way signs are merely suggestions.

My philosophy of driving in Mexico is to get right on the bumper of the car in front of me. If he goes, I go. If he stops, I stop. No need to look for or try and answer that question. So far, no tickets, no accidents. When in Rome........  Yeah, I learned it watching the locals.

At least in this one instance, the locals planned ahead and the bike lane was sorely needed, well thought out, brilliantly executed and the implementation is going flawlessly. Kudos to everyone involved.

Indeed pappy. Will help enormously with the pueblo magico project..

Question for all bikers using the bike lane.

Heading east to chapala, at the colon lights do you obey the red light or imperiously ignore it ? 

When exiting colon mountainside its impossible to see bikers coming from the west.very dangerous.

3 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

I hear they need more funds to continue the lane past Juarez.  It is in their plans.  Hopefully for the cyclists

This government that can't pick up the trash reliably always needs more money.  I suppose having increased the payroll at City Hall by 50 percent that might account for the fact Ajijic had become a Pueblo Trashico with a bike path to nowhere.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

The bike lane is good, moving in the right direction.  Anyone who has ridden a bike regularly must cringe at riding on Mexican roads.  We need to lessen congestion and bikes are a good way to do that.  I was very upset, after walking four blocks to DHL on my recovering surgical foot, to find a giant SUV parked in the bike lane.  I asked the only guy there if he had parked in the bike lane and he said he had because there was no parking!  He wan't in a wheel chair, looked fairly fit and didn't take any giant packages away with him.  When I said I didn't have the nerve to park in a bike lane(when really, it's an ethical thing) he said I'd learn it if I lived here long enough. I know businesses have to load and unload, and that DHL is in a stupid place, but let's try not to park in the bike lane people.  

On 3/15/2018 at 12:25 PM, JOLINDA MARSHALL said:

Someone suggested yesterday that when "the powers" realize the disastrous effect the new bike lane project has on traffic flow, that Zaragoza be made to connect with Guadalupe Victoria and both turned into a bike and pedestrian only through street. Seemed like a sound idea to me. 

The problem with that idea is that the buses travel west on Zaragoza, all the way out to Rio Bravo in West Ajijic.

Archived