Chapala.com Webboard

Bike Lane Completed

I am expecting we will loose half of the barrier poles by July especially the tight corners.  Then the powers will say that it hasn't worked quite the way they planned and it will become the basis new change to create another vehicle lane.

What happens in the gap between Juarez and where the bike lane ends further west?  That's a death trap for cyclists.

Also on the west end just a week or so ago the gaps in the south side sidewalk that were supposed to have those decorative rocks were unfinished.  What happened with those?

The sidewalks are great with the above noted but the bike lane is a joke since that very hazardous section (for cyclists) going west up the hill from Juarez was left out.  It will work for cyclists riding into Ajijic centro from the east but the ones coming from the west side are still unlikely to survive the experience.

What was the point if the gap between the two ends of the existing bike path wasn't closed?

Today, u and down the Carreterra several times thru town I saw 2 motorcycles , one going east and one going west using the bike lane.  There were people walking in it.  There wasn't a bike in sight.  There were two trucks trying to make right hand turns up streets to upper Ajijic who had to swing wide of the corner posts.  And I noticed, again, that on the Juarez corner the driveway going into that new building is right on the corner and impossible to get to from east of the light.  I would guess that at least a three lane intersection is necessary there to prevent a total traffic backup thru the Juarez and east section of the Carreterra.  That might be why there is no bike lane there.  Oh well we will just wait and see.

I have to go up Juarez when coming from the East. It "aint" easy but possible. It's that I am so busy looking out, trying to miss the  green post that I forget to look for bikes. The spacing of the bars etc could have been better thought out.

I love it! I can finally ride my bike into town and leave my car at home. That must benefit more than myself? One less car taking up a parking space on the carretera, for sure. Plus, by parking my bike in centro and walking through the village, I get healthier. I can see how this won't work unless the numbers subscribe to it, but, if they do, it will give us all a healthier experience. Most of us don't really need to drive and then park as close as we can to where we want to go. No one can do that anymore, anywhere, really - so it's time to give it up, let it go and understand what the future is bringing us. If you are incapacitated and can't ride a bike, take Uber that will drop you off right in front of where you need to be - these are the times we live in and thank goodness the Chapala government has recognized this 

23 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Maybe traffic will be a bit better now that the work crews are gone.  

For us walkers, the new sidewalks adjacent to the bike lane are a huge improvement.  

Traffic will NOT be any better, but worse. Since half the parking has vanished people will double park on the lake side of the road, or just stick the nose of vehicle into hole between cars. It is amazing how little concern Chapala has for businesses. The bike lane will need to carry as many folks as a regular lane to be a valid expenditure. The will need 1000s times more bikers than we have now to accomplish that. This was done to benefit those bikers who bike out from Guadalajara to train or ride. How many pesos did Chapala think these bikers spend in this municipality? Can't be more than a bottle of water from the tienda. The congestion has reached the point where it is starting to limit growth and that affects home prices. Of course it might as well be open to motorcycles and scooters since it will be used by them anyway.  No it doesn't help. Help will only come from adding a bypass up on the mountainside or taking out a row of buildings along the Carretera for additional lanes and parking. 

8 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

I now see that the second set of traffic lights at la floresta have been disconnected and have a "precaution/warning" sign.

What good will that do??

Yes there are new precaution signs, but the lights continue to function as of an hour ago.  As always, there are some dead bulbs.

Archived