Chapala.com Webboard

question on installing support bar in shower

Lexy

I want to install a bar to grip in the shower stall for support. (The time has come for this precaution.) Does anyone who's done so, have any guidance or advice to offer before I go ahead with purchase of bar, hiring  plumber?  It will be applied to a tiled wall.

Lexy

8 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Don't use a suction bar.. They are not designed to take the full weight of someone.

Use one that's anchored into the wall... They are easy enough to install.

You would not me come over and test it for you.  I do not think they make an anchor strong enough.  HAHAHAHAHAHA

I am surprised but no one seems to offer this service here, also general grab rails around the house. If you want to save money, steel tubing is fine, but will need painting every once and a while. Installation is not always straight forward here. Both houses I have lived in Mexico have very soft bricks and mortar. I would imagine some newer homes using concrete "blockas" would be stronger. With this soft mortar/bricks you would have to drill a hole, and then squirt in some epoxy, then the mounting hardware.

59 minutes ago, Tiny said:

You would not me come over and test it for you.  I do not think they make an anchor strong enough.  HAHAHAHAHAHA

Try Home Depot.. They have a large selection of wall anchors and epoxy that would more than suffice for the average person... But if you are grossly overweight maybe they don't make an anchor strong enough.

Have had grab bars installed in 3 bathrooms back when I first had hip problems.  Any plumber or contractor can do the job -  anchors are readily available lakeside. Mine were installed through tile.  I would recommend grab bars which have a striated surface on them rather than smooth tubing.  I know that Lidia at LakeMed Center on the carretera carries them in various lengths. Consider whether the bar should be installed horizontal, vertical or on an angle. My shower stall has steps and it's easier to grab an angled bar if needed.

31 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Try Home Depot.. They have a large selection of wall anchors and epoxy that would more than suffice for the average person... But if you are grossly overweight maybe they don't make an anchor strong enough.

What are you trying to say?  HAHAHAHAHA

I do not know if it true here, but in the US, many Home Depot's has a list of contractors that do certain types of jobs.

I don't think many plumbers and contractors here have pipe bending tools, and flaring tools to hold the mounting hardware. Then there is the diamond drill, to get through tile, and a metal cutting saw to cut the pipe. You also put sand in the paint to improve the grip. There is a radiator and muffler shop which is located in the parallel road to the east of Soriana parking lot. This young man has most of these tools and an uncanny enthusiasm for bending pipe. The more difficult the better for him. He also does gas welding.

56 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Have had grab bars installed in 3 bathrooms back when I first had hip problems.  Any plumber or contractor can do the job -  anchors are readily available lakeside. Mine were installed through tile.  I would recommend grab bars which have a striated surface on them rather than smooth tubing.  I know that Lidia at LakeMed Center on the carretera carries them in various lengths. Consider whether the bar should be installed horizontal, vertical or on an angle. My shower stall has steps and it's easier to grab an angled bar if needed.

I bought the grab bars from Lidia and had them installed, through the tile and into the brick, with anchors and epoxy. Easy job. And my hubby was not a small man. Ditto on JP Home Services. This is a fast and easy job and you won't regret the security in the shower or when getting up from the toilet. Independence is everything.

I installed safety bars in our showers. They were available at Home Depot in various lengths, stainless steel about 1.5 inch diameter, with mounting flanges.  I drilled for the nylon anchors and used 2 inch stainless screws.  Never a problem in 10 years of daily use.

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

I installed safety bars in our showers. They were available at Home Depot in various lengths, stainless steel about 1.5 inch diameter, with mounting flanges.  I drilled for the nylon anchors and used 2 inch stainless screws.  Never a problem in 10 years of daily use.

What RV said. No problems with ours in 5 years. Bought at HD and installed myself as RV described.

I had grab bars installed, too. Ellie's advice is exactly what I did and would recommend to you, Lexy.  The bars with a striated surface give an almost non slip grip as opposed to the smooth surface which can be slippery, especially if you grab it for balance with soapy or even wet hands in an emergency.

11 hours ago, Lexy said:

I want to install a bar to grip in the shower stall for support. (The time has come for this precaution.) Does anyone who's done so, have any guidance or advice to offer before I go ahead with purchase of bar, hiring  plumber?  It will be applied to a tiled wall.

Lexy

I did exactly this last year on the tiled wall of my shower.  Easily done, inexpensive, it`s very secure, will last forever. It has taken all the stress I have tried to put on it, just to test and possibly prepare for when I might start to fall and have to grab it. I am very happy with it and feel totally secure it will be there when I might need it.  It takes up almost no room, does not interfere with my movements in my small shower at all. I love it!

7 minutes ago, traderspoc said:

bought my bars in the hardware next to farmiaca Guada;ajara in Ahjic.

big strong could hold 250 pound man, weight tested,  they had them in stock, 

Only 250 pounds.  Still not ready for me to test.  HAHAHAHAHAHA

Archived