Chapala.com Webboard

La Mision

nothernewbie

Now they are called "Casa Linda".  I had lunch there this week and found the service to be lacking,  as it always has been. Food was ok but nothing to write home about.  Waiter was nice but looking after a group was not something he was ready for, and he was confused constantly about who ordered what, etc. 

Heidi and I ate there today and all I can say is WOW! They serve lunch from 12 to 2. We arrived about 2:15 and got the dinner menu....glad we did. Their menu is quite extensive from burgers to rack of lamb! We both settled on Spaghetti Carbonara. It was absolutely delicious. Tons of chicken, bacon and mushrooms and, the sauce was excellent. Then, being the "food slut" that J am, I ordered the Creme Brulee for dessert OMG! Heidi took home huge piece of New York style cheesecake. Don't know about the authenticity but, it too, is excellent. The service was very attentive and friendly. We were VERY impressed and will be returning soon! By the way, it's now Casa Linda.

22 minutes ago, heidinrick said:

Heidi and I ate there today and all I can say is WOW! They serve lunch from 12 to 2. We arrived about 2:15 and got the dinner menu....glad we did. Their menu is quite extensive from burgers to rack of lamb! We both settled on Spaghetti Carbonara. It was absolutely delicious. Tons of chicken, bacon and mushrooms and, the sauce was excellent. Then, being the "food slut" that J am, I ordered the Creme Brulee for dessert OMG! Heidi took home huge piece of New York style cheesecake. Don't know about the authenticity but, it too, is excellent. The service was very attentive and friendly. We were VERY impressed and will be returning soon! By the way, it's now Casa Linda.

Is there a change of ownership?

48 minutes ago, canmex87 said:

Is there a change of ownership?

The change is we have taken on a new partner, who was formerly the capitan at Ajijic Tango and his family that had the breakfast restaurant next to La Huerta. Alejandro was employed by us and we recognized that he had the experience and family connections to relieve us and add breakfast, staffing and training for the restaurant. This will also provide us with the opportunity to exit to full retirement in the next couple of years. Our menu and chef are the same with some additions to the dinner menu and a complete new extensive 89 peso lunch menu and of course a new breakfast menu. New days of operation open everyday except Tuesday @ 8:30 am -9:00pm 10:00 pm Friday and Saturday.

1 hour ago, La Mision said:

The change is we have taken on a new partner, who was formerly the capitan at Ajijic Tango and his family that had the breakfast restaurant next to La Huerta. Alejandro was employed by us and we recognized that he had the experience and family connections to relieve us and add breakfast, staffing and training for the restaurant. This will also provide us with the opportunity to exit to full retirement in the next couple of years. Our menu and chef are the same with some additions to the dinner menu and a complete new extensive 89 peso lunch menu and of course a new breakfast menu. New days of operation open everyday except Tuesday @ 8:30 am -9:00pm 10:00 pm Friday and Saturday.

If today was an example of things to come, congratulations on entering into what I perceive to be an excellent partnership! I would walk there just for the Creme Brulee! Good luck on your future retirement plans!

A friend and I listened to all the kudos you wrote so we arrived at Casa Linda just as the 2:00 dinner menu kicked in.

We decided to share a rack of lamb and a spaghetti carbonara with chicken.

We started with the lamb and had it served to us first with each of us having two of the chops.  It came accompanied with mashed potatoes, sauted carrots and lettuce. It was all very delicious and cooked to perfection.

The spaghetti carbonara with chicken was a nice follow up to the lamb.

Both dishes were divided up in the kitchen so we did not need to divide them ourselves.

We ended this superb meal with creme brule.

We perused the 89P lunch menu before leaving.  It is extensive.  We will try that the next time.

Our meal was one to remember, good food and good service. 

Hopefully it will avoid the lakeside restaurant curse of inconsistency.  If it does it will be a winner.

• 2 weeks later...

La Mision, reincarnated as Casa Linda.

Maybe there is a different chef at lunch, and possibly other positive differences.  Based on recent good reviews, five of us arrived at our reserved table at 6 pm yesterday.  We ordered drinks and dinner. Drinks arrived.  A large party in the back section created acoustic hell to the degree that we gave up on attempting conversation. An hour after our arrival, we hadn't been served.  A while after that, we conferred and decided to give up and have our dinners "to go" and informed the waitress.  A half hour after that, the packages arrived; we paid and left. The person at the desk gave the one who had made the reservations a ticket for a free bottle of wine, which was a nice gesture.  End result re the food: The Filet Mignon one ordered turned out to be a tough piece of sirloin; the bread bowl soup could have come from a can; the person who ordered the fish threw it out; the two who ordered the pasta dishes were very disappointed. What more can be said?  None of us want to repeat the dinner experience. YMMV.

17 minutes ago, gringal said:

...A large party in the back section created acoustic hell...

My visit noticed that the place itself is an acoustic nightmare. Add loud-mouthed expats with waiters that shout to each other, it was unpleasant, to say the least. The food was OK, but not worth the torture.

The noise problem cannot be news to the original owner, who was present, and smartly sitting outside.  If you go with friends on a busy night and actually want to hear what  your friends are saying, then sit on the front patio.  Otherwise, choose a different venue.  Sadly the food had nothing to commend it.

38 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Of course it was never intended to be a restaurant when it was built. Acoustics was not important at the time.

Yes. But acoustics are important now. If the current owners don’t care then customers for whom sound is an issue appreciate the warning. It is at best disappointing (and at worst can be agonizing) when audio assault overrides any pleasure you may have found in sharing food and conversation with friends. 

41 minutes ago, Xena said:

Yes. But acoustics are important now. If the current owners don’t care then customers for whom sound is an issue appreciate the warning. It is at best disappointing (and at worst can be agonizing) when audio assault overrides any pleasure you may have found in sharing food and conversation with friends. 

Agree completely. I remember being in there in probably 2005 or 2006 but don't remember what restaurant it was then. Horrible! And back then I could still hear a lot better. Horrible location for a restaurant for that reason but everyone loved the way it looked. Good location for deaf people, signing wouldn't be a problem.  Billy Moon didn't design it for a restaurant or any purpose where sound is important.

Went there for brunch a week ago and for lunch a day or to ago. VERY happy both times - very good service and very good food. We took a look at the dinner menu but haven't been there yet for dinner. I'm not disputing others' experiences - just noting our recent experiences. Look forward to trying out the dinner menu.

34 minutes ago, REC said:

Went there for brunch a week ago and for lunch a day or to ago. VERY happy both times - very good service and very good food. We took a look at the dinner menu but haven't been there yet for dinner. I'm not disputing others' experiences - just noting our recent experiences. Look forward to trying out the dinner menu.

It would be appreciated if you tell us your experience after you have dinner there.

Archived