Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Health Insurance Brokers?

I was recently surprised to get a Permanent Residency status so as I understand, I can get private Mexican health Insurance and wondered if there were brokers in the Lakeside area.  I am curious as to the cost and any other information.  thanks

3 hours ago, RGVBREW said:

I was recently surprised to get a Permanent Residency status so as I understand, I can get private Mexican health Insurance and wondered if there were brokers in the Lakeside area.  I am curious as to the cost and any other information.  thanks

Have to ask: How could you be surprised to get a permanente? You apply for it and go through a process? You didn't think you'd be approved? 

3 hours ago, RGVBREW said:

Can't you obtain  private  medical insurance regardless of your imergraion  status??

I was surprised because I didn't take care of the application....my employer does that!  I thought I had read that to obtain a Mexican Private Health Insurance, one needed to be a resident.

But now I think I will just go ahead and get IMSS policy and pay and have the first year completed by the time I move :)  Meantime, my US health insurance will take care of that first year.

It appears that there is still come confusion. 

As I understand it, IMSS and Seguro Publico are both public programs, not private policies.  Anyone can buy a private policy.  One must be a legal resident of Mexico to enroll in either public policy. However, IMSS has fees and serious limitations, especially regarding pre-existing conditions, while Seguro Popular is free for most people, it is for residents who have no other coverage.

18 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Seguro Popular is free for most people, it is for residents who have no other coverage.

Shouldn't that be, not enrolled in IMSS? Why would one with private insurance be excluded from Seguro Popular?

That may be the case, but I was always under the impression that it was “no other insurance“.  Perhaps someone has the eligibility requirements “from the horses‘ mouth.“

Archived