Chapala.com Webboard

Happy to say that going into Chapala on Tuesday to register with Seguro Popular was super easy.  It is my understanding that we need to see someone in the Ajijic Health Clinic in Seis Esquinas within 3 months of registration in order for them to take a medical history and assign a Dr.

We went yesterday and spoke with the Dr. there who insisted that this doesn't happen and only to come into the Clinic or the Hospital in Joco, etc. if we are sick.  He said the paper showing the registration into Seguro Popular is the only document needed and it lasts 3 years.  After pressing further, he said to come in this morning after 8 and see the Nurse who would take the medical history.

Well, the Nurse says the same thing and will not create an Archive/medical history and says to only come if there's an illness or accident.

I'm eager to hear from others who've been through this process to ensure we've done what is required.

Many thanks, in advance, for your answers.

Valerie :)

That is odd. My husband and I, together with another couple, were told to have an initial meeting and exam in order to have files set up. We did this at the Ajijic clinic, with a couple of recommended tests at the Joco Hospital. A good experience all around. This was only six months ago but perhaps the rules have changed. Have you checked the Seguro website?

Well, I think it's odd as well.  I will check the website.  Thanks!

I am enrolled, weighed, height, prodded, medical history but I was also getting work order for a hernia operation. This is socialized medicine, you are supposed to be working with your doctor to improve health with diet, exercise, etc. You are given a little booklet to record your "milestones". They also have to start a file in the records section, where all medical transactions are recorded. Sort of oversight. Better get on with it, because you become old and sickly by not doing these things, the doctor lineup gets longer and longer for you.

I registered with Seguro Popular at the clinic in Chapala about two years ago.  No one told me that I had to see a doctor or have any medical work done.  According to my initial registration paper, I'm good for almost another year before renewal is due.

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Better get on with it, because you become old and sickly by not doing these things, the doctor lineup gets longer and longer for you.

In my and many other's cases, we have a private pay-as-you-go primary care physician. The enrollment in Seguro Popular is intended to cover hospitalizations. What should we do beyond signing up?

I also use a private doctor. If you have to be hospitalized for anything more than an emergency, I think only a Seguro Popular doctor could guide through the labyrinth of paperwork. In my case, I went to the Seguro Popular Chapala Clinic, with a Spanish speaking friend, Chapala. at 7:30 AM, already a lineup. They start letting people in then.  Then 8:00 AM, people lineup at the farthest left door in the waiting room (or for doctors doors which they are seeing). There Dr. Anna makes appointments for later in the day. You come back, at the appointed time, and she carefully goes over your medical history. In my case she filled out a 9 page form for hernia, this document is so thick, she had to do it in two stages. She recommended Jocotepec hospital, and then you wait there for an appointment with a surgeon, who will set a date for surgery. I know - very Mexican, people are low key and calm, they are used to this. Lineups, waiting, paperwork - the stuff which drives people from the North nuts. Get used to it, or open your wallet for private care - which entirely profit based and very expensive here (by Canadian and U.K. standards).

Many thanks for the information.  We will go to Chapala and see if we can get in to see Dr. Anna.  I have private Mexican health insurance through GNP and am very happy with it.  But, my husband doesn't and I want to make sure he has some kind of coverage. :)

When I signed up two years ago, they told the same thing. Go when you are sick and take many copies of the paperwork with you, never give away the original paperwork.  Thank goodness i am healthy and havent had to use it yet.     

Perhaps it is different for those that have pre-existing conditions or are in need of immediate care for a current illness.

Good point.  He is not in need of any care at the moment so perhaps that's the reason the Ajijic Health Clinic turned him away, twice.

Archived