Chapala.com Webboard

"Dr. Don" at Clinica Maskaras

Dr. Alberto Don Olivera....  Don is his family name, not his first name, nor is it a nickname.  Olivera would be his mother’s name.  Some years ago a good number of his patients, including me, had to talk to Dr. Garcia, in order to get our money back from Dr. Don.  Others just sucked it up.  He had so botched the work he’d done. And had not kept complete records (ok, not uncommon at the time, a lot of doctors didn’t).   Many dentists were aware they were fixing problems created by Don.  I certainly hope he has improved in the ensuing years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I lived year-round in San Antonio Tlayacapan from 2003 to 2016.  I lost confidence in the first dentist I went to, and the second one was only at the Clinica Ajijic for a little while.  So, on the recommendation of a friend, I saw Dr. Olivera and was very satisfied with him and with the two assistants that he had trained.  I am, by the way, a dental wimp who cannot tolerate any dental pain.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2018 at 10:14 AM, kookielendmeyourcomb said:

Dr. Alberto Don Olivera....  Don is his family name, not his first name, nor is it a nickname.  Olivera would be his mother’s name.  Some years ago a good number of his patients, including me, had to talk to Dr. Garcia, in order to get our money back from Dr. Don.  Others just sucked it up.  He had so botched the work he’d done. And had not kept complete records (ok, not uncommon at the time, a lot of doctors didn’t).   Many dentists were aware they were fixing problems created by Don.  I certainly hope he has improved in the ensuing years. 

He needs to retire. Totally botched implants he was not qualified to do. Have an attorney working to get my money back.

• Like 1

Geez, I sure wish I had known that Dr. Garcia was responsible for helping to get money back.  I guess I was one of those that "sucked it up" and went to Dr. Haro's office and had everything redone.  I was one that was supposedly going to be put to sleep so everything could be done at once.  It was a total disaster because they gave me medication I was allergic to before even asking and failed to look at the history I gave them before starting.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 10:14 AM, kookielendmeyourcomb said:

I wish I had known this earlier - recent experience for me was bad - improvement, I think not.

After $5,000 (USD) worth of dental work from Dr. Don, around 2008, I couldn't chew anything.  He was the nicest guy, like your best friend (think Velvet Glove).  Then was introduced to a dentist in Chapala, who looked in my mouth for 1 minute and said, "I can't fix this, but I know who can", and I was introduced to Dr. Eloy Barrangan.

Eloy worked out a repair plan, and I confronted Dr. Don in a gentlemanly fashion.  He told me he'd refund my money, he just needed to meet with his accountant...  Good thing I didn't hold my breath.  Mutilple additional contacts, NO refund.

It cost more than $6,000 additional (USD) to get it all fixed. 

He doesn't get my recommendation either...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am accustomed to the recommend/don’t recommend back and forth in a thread like this. There are also the chronic malcontents who complain about everyone with whom they come in contact and have learned to ignore them. But when I see so many  displeased former clients I would not use that practitioner. There are too many good ones to choose from.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2019 at 1:47 PM, AlongTheWay said:

After $5,000 (USD) worth of dental work from Dr. Don, around 2008, I couldn't chew anything.  He was the nicest guy, like your best friend (think Velvet Glove).  Then was introduced to a dentist in Chapala, who looked in my mouth for 1 minute and said, "I can't fix this, but I know who can", and I was introduced to Dr. Eloy Barrangan.

Eloy worked out a repair plan, and I confronted Dr. Don in a gentlemanly fashion.  He told me he'd refund my money, he just needed to meet with his accountant...  Good thing I didn't hold my breath.  Mutilple additional contacts, NO refund.

It cost more than $6,000 additional (USD) to get it all fixed. 

He doesn't get my recommendation either...

Same problem with Dr. Don.Substandard work, lied , and to compound the matter, he is suffering from some debilitating condition that causes his hand(s) to shake.

He also promised a refund to the attorney I hired and never paid up. He says he is broke.

Now that Dr. Garcia is moving to the new hospital, West of where he is now, Dr. Don may be out in the cold. Dr. Garcia told me that Dr. Don would not be coming to the hospital. I also talked to Dr. Garcia about Dr. Don, but nothing came of it. I got the impression from an "insider" that Maskaras may either fold or rebrand itself. IMO, Dr. Don is a liability to any clinic.

My attorney here is handling it now.