Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of making 800# calls to US or CA?

A Telmex employee told me that if you use those special numbers they provide for you to use for each 800 # meant for Canada &/or the US only, it costs almost $7 pesos per minute even if you can phone regular numbers in the states for free as part of say your $389 telephone internet package.

If I need to phone an 800 # meant for say Canada, first I do a Google search and see if the company has a local number, If that fails I use my VoIP or internet phone which has my up north local phone number, not a Mexican number where my per minute charge is much much less than $7 pesos per minute.

I would never use my Telcel cell phone to call up north because I have the basic Amigo Plan which doesn't provide discounted out of country calls.

16 hours ago, johanson said:

A Telmex employee told me that if you use those special numbers they provide for you to use for each 800 # meant for Canada &/or the US only, it costs almost $7 pesos per minute even if you can phone regular numbers in the states for free as part of say your $389 telephone internet package.

If I need to phone an 800 # meant for say Canada, first I do a Google search and see if the company has a local number, If that fails I use my VoIP or internet phone which has my up north local phone number, not a Mexican number where my per minute charge is much much less than $7 pesos per minute.

I would never use my Telcel cell phone to call up north because I have the basic Amigo Plan which doesn't provide discounted out of country calls.

Thanks...I too try to google a local number...and sometimes you can and others not....I have the $389 pkg too...will keep trying to find the number for Keurig Canada I guess.....                  

• 2 weeks later...

For a call (including 800 numbers) to the US, I use a $2.99 US per month subscription with Skype on my cell. It is for unlimited calling to US only.  If you have been put on hold as long as I been,  it is nice that it us unlimited. Just need a Wi-Fi connection.

If you have to use your Telmex landline to phone an 800 number meant for the states and or Canada, the guy at the Telmex info desk told me that to use their special service one has to pay almost 7 US cents per minute including the 16% IVA sales tax even if you have the $389 or $599 package where one can make unlimited calls to local numbers in the US or Canada plus about 50 other countries.

So like Tiny I use my internet  (VoIP) phone for those 800 numbers that Telmex would charge me for and pay nothing with my $389 peso per month internet and unlimited long distance calls to local numbers (not 800 #s) in up to some 50 foreign countries.

Archived