Chapala.com Webboard

Dentures, Implants or Bridges?

I am posting for a friend who would like some opinions on what to do regarding some dental work.  If anyone has had some experience with any of the above and would/could make recommendations (good or bad) it might help with the decision making.  She would like to know more about PAIN involved,  cost and time spent from start to finish and the success or failure of the procedures; would you do it again?

I have a plastic partial for 3 missing teeth. I didn't want anything metal in my mouth.   It was inexpensive and works great...from Dental Express, and they make them right there and takes a day.

I was going to get zirconia implants because it's a ceramic material more biocompatible for me than titanium, non-corrosive, hypoallergenic, etc (see Google), but I decided against providing an avenue for potential infection or reactions, especially upper jaw, and my sinuses are also very close to the jawbone.

Dr. Haro and Dr. Barragan should be on your list of three who have someone come in from Guadalajara specifically to do implants.

I had more irritation and pain from a partial than I did from three implants. And I don't take meds for pain. Still happy after four years. Each to his/her own.

Implants take longer because they have to heal properly and may or may not involve a bone graft first which adds to the time line. I didn't need the bone graft... had the implants done with semi permanent caps first and six months later got my permanent bridges on the implants. Cost varies depending on what needs to be done and that is why the time to do consultations is so important.

Best of luck to your friend.

About a year ago I had a 3-tooth upper-rear bridge made by the head Doc at Dental Express. I picked him after considering/consulting others due to the fact that he is using the latest CAD/CAM procedures for making crowns/bridges. This is ‘leading edge’ dentistry that no one else Lakeside had at the time... and maybe not yet?  I opted for zirconia for strength/durability. I could not be more pleased with the bridge... fit is perfect/margins are perfect (CAD/CAM helps here), had the bridge the next day (since they are made by their computer [the CAM portion] inhouse). The price was very reasonable.... 1/4 cost of NOB.

I had a lower partial plate (three front teeth wired in) at Dental Express last August.  Originally, the plan was for removable dentures, but they kept feeling too uncomfortable taking them in and out (I have some bone loss in my lower jaw).  They were very patient and finally fitted me with the permanent bridge, which doesn't have to be removed at night.  I was extremely pleased with their care and attention to detail.  After almost three months of visiting them every couple of weeks to try to make sure I was happy and comfortable, they still only charged me about 3000 pesos!  Amazing!  I've had no problems since!

On March 3, 2018 at 11:14 PM, Ferret said:

Dr. Haro and Dr. Barragan should be on your list of three who have someone come in from Guadalajara specifically to do implants.

I had more irritation and pain from a partial than I did from three implants. And I don't take meds for pain. Still happy after four years. Each to his/her own.

Implants take longer because they have to heal properly and may or may not involve a bone graft first which adds to the time line. I didn't need the bone graft... had the implants done with semi permanent caps first and six months later got my permanent bridges on the implants. Cost varies depending on what needs to be done and that is why the time to do consultations is so important.

Best of luck to your friend.

My husbands just had extractions, implants and a permanent bridge at BMV dental,  below Sky Gym,  he is very please and half the cost Of Dr. Harro and Barrigon

Almost everyone Lakeside agrees that Dr. Haro and Dr. Barragan are two of the best offices here.... and maybe Dra. Candy is being added to this list. AND the most costly and the busiest. In the past I have used the first two almost exclusively but decided to try the ‘new’ Dental Express (new, because their reputation for sevice has changed for the better since the ‘new’ owner and his wife took over a couple of years ago) and was very pleased with my bridgework. In this case I believe I got quality AND a low cost all wrapped in one.

And yes, YMMV

14 hours ago, Ferret said:

Whatever works for you and your husband. Cost should not have anything to do with health. YMMV.

In a perfect world with unlimited funds for everyone, maybe not. Many of us don't live in a perfect word.

A perfect world does not necessarily include unlimited funds. It does include good maintenance like getting a good cleaning twice a year or not damaging your liver and brain with alcohol or clogging your arteries by what you eat.

However, the unexpected does happen... did I expect a wisdom tooth to start growing in sideways at age 55? Not really. $hit happens. By choosing to take an economical approach to the problem at first, it ended up costing me more (and another tooth) in the long run . Live and learn.

Archived