Chapala.com Webboard

Speed test at Maskaras Clinic

I am sitting here at the clinic waiting to see the Doctor. And just for the heck of it, I did a speed test. They have an infinitum business account.

Shown below is what I got, which is normal in this part of Ribera del Pilar for businesses

7104566152.png  

44 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

My download in San Antonio with Telmex is a lousy 5. Why so much difference when I am not that far away from Maskaras?

Gringo-h,  you could be right next door to them and not necessarily get their speed. In Mexico a lot has to do with the wiring coming into the house from the ‘pole’. Or the wiring within your casa. Or your Modem. Or???  One size does NOT fit all at Lakeside mi amigo.

WOW, I'd LOVE those kinds of speeds from TelMex.  Can we go in and say we have a business and pay for that kind of account?

Valerie :)

2 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

WOW, I'd LOVE those kinds of speeds from TelMex.  Can we go in and say we have a business and pay for that kind of account?

The answer could be yes if you are located where speeds like that are available. I know that the Doctor told me that he pays 1 or 2 thousand pesos per month for his service, I do not remember which.

1 minute ago, johanson said:

The answer could be yes if you are located where speeds like that are available. I know that the Doctor told me that he pays 1 or 2 thousand pesos per month for his service, I do not remember which.

I hope you remember his charges....500 or 1000 pesos !!! 

5 minutes ago, johanson said:

And I pay 599 pesos per month to Telmex for the same download but half the upload as the Doctor.

4 hours ago, bmh said:

That is what I have heard.. My Telmex download in Ajijic is less than 2..Megacable around 4 and 5.. pretty lousy..

Do a speed test, using the URLs given above.   And also, it depends upon where you live in Ajijic.  I get slightly over ten down with Telmex

2 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I hope you remember his charges....500 or 1000 pesos !!! 

You are getting your prices from the spread sheet showing residential prices, not business prices. The clinics prices were in the thousands per month. I do not remember because how much more than one thousand because he told me that months ago

My neighbor, a bookie, has Telmex and gets 40 Mbps down. So residences must be able to get a commercial account as we are in a gated residential street. If anyone is interested, I can ask him what it costs.

A commercial contract costs thousands, and does not provide any more download speed than anyone else in the neighbourhood. I know from dealing with certain businesses.

In Riberas, I pay $599, and get 40 down, two blocks from Clinica Mascaras. As was pointed out, it's where you are located as much as anything else.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

As was pointed out, it's where your are located as much as anything else.

My neighbor and I are in the same privada and he gets 40, but when I ask for an increase I get a message that says that I get the maximum available.

It is possible, but rare, for people on the same street to get different maximum speeds. That being said, I don't know what's going on in the decision-making offices of TelMex these days. Certainly, at lakeside, and now even with some tech support in Mexico City, they have slithered down the greasiest slopes of excuses, B.S. and inanity in the last couple of years. Refusing to trade made modems for good. Lieing about what is available where. Refusing to expand the infrastructure with the growing population. Making deals with people who have "connections". Dutifully taking reports and then not sending them in. Forcing customers to find a TelMex lineman on the street and paying a bribe to get basic servicing. Throwing the wrong switch during repairs and not doing follow-up checks to ensure everything is as it was. Providing excuse after excuse about why things are broken (hang in there... another few months and we will be getting the "rainy season" stories again...), offering higher speeds and then declaring they are not available, changing the plans almost monthly, charging people for unwanted insurance and "charities", and just this week upping a customer's rates without telling him until the bill came in (yes, and ironically, he got twice the speed, from 10 to 20, but didn't want to pay the extra hundred pesos. Just think of the people who would gladly trade places with him.

Screwing up their own email services, and not acknowledging the fact, and not repairing it for months. Making customers call Mexico City support because in Ajijic they are too lazy to help, seeing as how it's all pensionable time.

Last but certainly not least, spewing a line about no more phones available, and no new Internet contracts available.  This is a company who finally introduced modems that can handle VOIP (like Vonage or Skype), add network printers, and provide dual-band WiFi, and then simply refused to impletement the options. How much money can Slim possibly not want to make?

Or maybe it's just lakeside and the damn gringos they don't like. Everywhere else seems to be okay.

As for your situation, McT, can you clarifiy "I get a message"... is that a recorded message or from talking to someone in Mexico City, or... ?

45 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

As for your situation, McT, can you clarifiy "I get a message"... is that a recorded message or from talking to someone in Mexico City, or... ?

The message I get when I ask for a higher speed than I get, 20 Mbps down for $499, says, " You already have the maximum speed available in your area."

My neighbor and I are on the same cable, underground, that serves all five of of my privada neighbors.

WOW!  So many different answers.  I'm in upper Ajijic, not in a Fracc.  We're about 6 1/2 blocks from the Ajijic TelMex office and our speeds are pathetic.  We pay for 10 down but usually have 2-4 and the upload is almost always below 1.  I'd definitely pay for more if it is available in our area.

Archived