Chapala.com Webboard

how can I pre pay my utilities

We travel a great deal and paying my utilities on time is always a challenge. I was told by a friend that I can go to TelMex and CFE and put a few thousand extra pesos in my account and they will simply subtract the proper amount at billing time.

Another friend recommend  opening a Bancomer BBVA account and having them pay the bills but from everything I have heard about them I do not want to be a part of that.

So... has anyone done the former process of pre loading your regular account and, if so how did you do it ??

Thanks

Bancomer has been paying my utilities for 17 years without any problems. Once  the bill was incorrect so I overpayed. I stop the automatic payment for 2 months so payments would be discontinued until the CFE problem was straightenout and then I reactivated it. It is great if you travel. Now you can also pay via banking on line and this is what I do as we live in 2 places in Mexico and travel from there as well..

I would not prepay anything .

My solution was to open a free account at Banco Azteca. You get a MasterCard or Visa, your choice, debit card. With it, you can pay both CFE and Telmex bills online. No fees for anything.

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

We have always made anticipados at both CFE and TelMex.  I know you can do it at the machines at CFE.  At TelMex I tend to go inside and pay and do it at their counter.  

Can you give me more info on how to do CFE on the machine. My friend stood in line for 2 hours because he was unaware of this ?

10 minutes ago, twelveoaks said:

Can you give me more info on how to do CFE on the machine. My friend stood in line for 12 hours because he was unaware of this ?

12 hours!!

Take a CFE bill, hold up to machine so it reads the barcode.  A screen will pop up and one of the choices is Anticipado.  Hit it and key in $$$ amount you want to pay.  FYI..these machines will give only small amount of change so bring the pesos that you want to pay in advance.  Wait for the receipt.  Keep receipt.  

8 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

12 hours!!

Take a CFE bill, hold up to machine so it reads the barcode.  A screen will pop up and one of the choices is Anticipado.  Hit it and key in $$$ amount you want to pay.  FYI..these machines will give only small amount of change so bring the pesos that you want to pay in advance.  Wait for the receipt.  Keep receipt.  

I meant two hours.

Can you pay wit a credit card ?

1 hour ago, LakeViews said:

We prepay (anticipo) CFE which works great except they do not print the remaining credit on your bill, one has to ask CFE what the remaining balance is...

Mine always carries over...the last one carried over 3 billing cycles and they always got it right.  Years ago they were not that accurate but back then you couldn't do it at the machine.  

On TelMex....for the heck of it today I paid my TelMex bill via TelMexUSA using my US credit card, just to see if it would work and it did.  Not great exchange rate (18.21) plus a $2 USD fee.  But good to know this is an option if I forget to prepay or if we are out of MX unexpectedly. 

We pay Telmex and CFE and Telecable at least a year in advance..Been doing it for several years..Never an issue, you can use a U.S. credit card at Telmex and IZZi, CFE requires to load the bills in their machine outside the office..There is usually a man there to help you use the machine for a few Peso tip..To many we know have had the bank or realtor screw up their payments...

One problem with paying bills online via your Mexican banK acct. when you are out of the country is when you need one of those electronic "tokens" to access your online banking. One friend lost that device somewhere during transit to Canada, another had the battery in it go dead while up north and you can't change out the battery, at that point it is dead and you have to get another at your bank. So neither could access their Mex. online banking.

7 hours ago, mudgirl said:

...One problem with paying bills online via your Mexican banK acct. when you are out of the country is when you need one of those electronic "tokens" to access your online banking.

Banco Azteca gives you the option of using your smartphone for the verification of online transfers. Their accounts are free and payments have no fee. Their offices are open six days a week from 9 to 9 with a few open 24/7.

Archived