Chapala.com Webboard

New pizza base crust

ComputerGuy

Found at Soriana this week for 39p. For when you do want to make your own pizza. 13", so much bigger than the frozen cheese pizza at CostCo, which works out to 56p each, but does come with cheese and a thicker crust.

I found the crust very tasty, and the thickness along the lines of most takeout pizza lakeside. I had to cook it longer than the recommended 8 minutes, and then I broiled some extra cheese on top (you need to get that cheese browned, for full effect).

Overall, it was a little dry. I cooked it on a teflon pizza pan in my toaster oven, which does make the crust less crispy than just placing the dough on the rack.

The pizza hangs on a hook at the back of the store, in the first cooler to the left of the cafeteria, where there is an odd mix of sliced meats and yogurts... .

7503021007056_3.jpg

45 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

We can't all be making dough all the time. If I spent all my time making food and looking for good natural ingredients, I'd be dead of exhaustion.

I agree. I'm too busy. But it still looks like "barf in a bag". The photo is not helping....it looks like truly shitty strawberry pie.

25 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Cannot argue with that assessment. But you have to hand it to a company that can make a pizza sauce that doesn't stick to the bag...

Oh, THAT'S what the red stuff is??  I like using the phone and having somebody arrive at the door with the finished product much better.  Personal effort: adding real Italian pepperoni.

22 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Walmart sells decent pizza dough....cut into appropriate size pieces and freeze .Works on the grill or pizza stone.....unfortunately nothing good comes without effort except delivery !

I celebrate the good delivery! 

And ...."somebody" on here actually repeated the un-truest maxim on planet Earth:  "you get what you pay for" .  Holy mole!  Can't even begin to list the times I've gotten way LESS than I paid for.  That includes pizza with imitation mozzarella and hot dog chunks as "sausage" !

Salchicha=Sausage=Frankfurter=Hotdog.  Welcome to Mexico.  Your concept of a sausage, as in Europe or the USA, is not a common item on a Mexican table. However, a tasteless FUD Salchicha, wrapped in bacon, grilled and served in a Bimbo bun with catchup and mayonaise, is a common evening snack on most active town plazas. The vegetable course, available nearby, could be a hot elote; a cob of field corn, slathered with mayonaise and dosed with chili powder.  On some plazas, you may still find a potato chip lady, frying them right before your eyes and serving them hot in a paper cone, with..........hot sauce!

8 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Salchicha=Sausage=Frankfurter=Hotdog.  Welcome to Mexico.  Your concept of a sausage, as in Europe or the USA, is not a common item on a Mexican table. However, a tasteless FUD Salchicha, wrapped in bacon, grilled and served in a Bimbo bun with catchup and mayonaise, is a common evening snack on most active town plazas. The vegetable course, available nearby, could be a hot elote; a cob of field corn, slathered with mayonaise and dosed with chili powder.  On some plazas, you may still find a potato chip lady, frying them right before your eyes and serving them hot in a paper cone, with..........hot sauce!

I got "welcomed to Mexico" a while back,  RV. :D  Most decent pizzerias know better than to palm off cheapo hot dog slices as Salchicha, but there are exceptions which have resulted in my leaving "salchicha" off my orders.  Then, just as bad, are the ones serving cruddy over processed-from- scraps lunch meat "ham".   About those plaza treats you describe..........I'll pass.B)

3 minutes ago, gringal said:

I got "welcomed to Mexico" a while back,  RV. :D  Most decent pizzerias know better than to palm off cheapo hot dog slices as Salchicha, but there are exceptions which have resulted in my leaving "salchicha" off my orders.  Then, just as bad, are the ones serving cruddy over processed-from- scraps lunch meat "ham".   About those plaza treats you describe..........I'll pass.B)

I think that includes most of us, RV. You are pining for the old days.

Perhaps when I said. “ you get what you pay for”  I should have mentioned a little uncommon sense ,ingredient knowledge and a modicum of intelligence .One of my criteria for moving here  ten years ago as a professional Chef for fifty years was the availability of first class ingredients. The main  reason I can still teach such a diverse range of cooking classes are great ingredients at a good price. 

Archived